<<< 12Oz Computer Tech Support SuperThread >>>

Mainter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Stopping by to say "hi", and stuff.

Not doing too much computer related stuff these days. I'm using TinyServer 2003, which is pretty awesome...but tech shit is kind of on the back burner till I move and get a new machine.

Then, I will make a triumphant return to the forum.

Or not. Basically, I'm too lazy/scatterbrained to try to "borrow" (hah) wifi, so I make do with my friends' computers here and there.

But, it's not the same. As I'm sure you can imagine.

I'm a little out of touch, but I'll take a shot in the dark and say....hey, Mainter. (Judging by the lack of punctuation.)

It's been better. But, it could be a whole lot worse. (There's a thread about that somewhere in the mix. I'm updating it tonight.)

If things go as planned (yeah, I said it) I should be back in effect sometime in January.

We'll see how it goes. I may be at this one spot for a month that has free wifi, but I'm trying to get something more permanent.

Wish me luck.

Is it worth it to upgrade to Vista?

Is there a TinyVista yet?

No, and I doubt there will be for some time. Besides, the smallest you could probably shrink Vista would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 1 GB installed.

I think that, for now, the whole attraction of Vista has to do with the features, which is what you get rid of when you get into OS reduction.

I'm not really that impressed with what I've seen, though. Seeing as how I like LESS features, it would be counterintuitive to go with something like Vista. Come to think of it, I don't really like anything MS has to offer besides PNP and easy wifi.

Eventually, Novell will get their shit together and make a solid version of SuSe. This whole "courting MS" thing they've got going on has me stumped.

If you can get it, I'd recommend TinyServer 2003. Here's some info-

-----

"Why use Windows Server 2003?" you might ask - because it runs everything faster

than Windows XP. Server 2003 boots up faster than XP, it even runs GAMES faster

than Windows XP, for example - loading levels in Half Life 2 takes a third of

the time it takes in Windows XP. Also, you get way better frame rates in server

2003 too.

Server 2003 has no Welcome screen and it is simply more responsive than Windows XP.

Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition with SP1 allows up to eight processors and

1 TB (terabyte) of RAM, yes, up to one thousand gigabytes of RAM! So this OS is

somewhat future proof, since most home systems only use one or maybe two processors

at the most and usually only use up to 4Gb or 8Gb of RAM in even the most extreme

gaming setups.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps it is best not to mention the "real world" cost of this OS, but remember,

this eXPerience Edition is not meant to be used as a server OS, although the

truth is, it could be used as a server OS if you wanted, because it has not

actually been "converted" to a workstation, only carefully tweaked for "home

use". Bear in mind that some features have been stripped out of this special

edition, however, this should not affect the use of this OS as a server, but

this is not its intended purpose - the purpose of this OS is to provide a very

fast and very stable home OS that runs software faster than XP could ever hope

to be, especially now XP has over 65 post SP2 hotfixes you have to cram into

it, it seems to get slower with every hotfix that you install. Mcft cannot

afford to be like that with Server 2003 because it costs too much and professional

Administrators would catch on. Maybe the slowness of XP is down to Vista coming

soon, who knows, but XP is not what it once was, the fastest XP is probably with

SP1. The theory goes that hotfixes protect you from viruses and spyware, but I

have yet to experience any real evidence of that, however there is plenty of

evidence that hotfixes bloat XP and slow it down! Again, just in time for Vista.

STATISTICS:

ISO Size = 173Mb

RAM Memory Useage = 45mb

Files = 2,857

Folders = 37

Running processes = 13

Running Services = 13

-----

I'm running this right now, and so far it's been good to me. I don't have too many apps installed. I'm trying to pretend I'm still running a Linux system...and, sometimes, it's hard to tell the difference.

any negros wanna help with what seems to be mega easy MySQL?

im getting an error on my forums saying this...

"Warning: mysql_connect(): Too many connections in /home/c332147/public_html/forum/db/mysql4.php on line 48

Warning: mysql_error(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/c332147/public_html/forum/db/mysql4.php on line 330

Warning: mysql_errno(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/c332147/public_html/forum/db/mysql4.php on line 331

phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database"

if its anything like validating html.. fix the first problem.. it should fix the rest.