The Skateboard Thread

SPORTO

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
lets not forget about skateboarders starting the cargo pant/short trend..

for a long time all my boys used to say "skateboarders are not meant to wear shorts while skating." now we all rock shorts ha. every now and then ill think, how the fuck did i seriously wear jeans all the time when it was wicked friggin hot.

dont know what video this is from all it says is alien workshop - heath kirchart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB-LB01UYto

i dont do it very often, but sometimes i gotta. i wont wear them if i intend on trying anything special, usually if im only gonna be pissin around. i've noticed you do get cracked in the shins/legs a little more, all them ripples in the jeans must work as a shield or something.

LMAO! I knew ALOT of people who did this. :lol:

Crazy amounts of old G-bones and T-bones and Bullets that were just sitting around

in peoples basements collecting dust ended up getting recycled this way.

We ride those motherfuckers in Cleveland . 60mm or bigger . Send them to me and I will ride them or give them to someone that will ride em' . :cool:

As far as the 1990's World Industries big-pants , small wheels , chain wallet , shitty wigger culture that spawned . A lot of dudes wore what's now affectionately termed the " Cleveland Punk Vest " , usually a jean jacket w/ cutoff sleeves and some punk or skate t-shirt safety pinned or sewn onto the back . Mine had a JFA t-shirt w. leopard strips of fur in the front . hahahaha.....I turned my back on that shit and stuck to riding launch ramps , mini ramps and bowls & pools .

Now in hindsight , I should've learned the tricks that were going down throughout the 1990's . It would've made an easier transition to today for me , but fuck it . I actually find myself more willing to skate street these days with my older dudes . We had 2 indoor spots throughout the late 1980's and 1990's to skate tranny . I consider us lucky , because most kids just had the streets .

anyone know any good spots in NYC they're willing to share, i'll be heading there sometime this weekend and trying to stay out of the usual bigger spots for the most part, cause i actually intend on skating and dont feel like being around like 30 kids trying to skate one ledge/set or whatever.

'the things your proud of at work' thread made me remember me and a couple friends who took machine shop in high school used to make our own hardware and sell it to people, it actually wasnt to bad either.

we tried to get into making trucks but it was A LOT more work than we were capable of at the time.

edit: not like theres much to screw up on hardware haha, but i mean it didnt really come loose easily or something.

If you go to Tompkins Square Park in the East Village, there's a a basketball court that people have set up some small ramps and flatbars and shit in. If you go there, you are guaranteed to find people who can point you to some spots.

Also, the entire Wall Street area (just south of the Brooklyn Banks) is made of marble ledges.

If you go to Tompkins Square Park in the East Village, there's a a basketball court that people have set up some small ramps and flatbars and shit in. If you go there, you are guaranteed to find people who can point you to some spots.

Also, the entire Wall Street area (just south of the Brooklyn Banks) is made of marble ledges.

pretty much.

the whole financial district is full of spots.

just cruise around, but dont expect to have hours on end sessions at single spots.

then after 5 pm, take the train to midtown and do the same thing.

watch out for shitty security guards with guard dogs.

other than that, youre free to do whatever.

you. are. buggin.

skaterboarders did not start the baggy pants trend B..cmon now

i dont remember seein Grand Puba or anybody else rockin a chain wallets in the 90s

you see Jim Jones and em rockin em now but it's not becose of skaters...what skater do you know that rocks a chain wallet in 2009

skateboarders might have rocked puma but that was all in reference to the old school hip hop style of the 80s so you got that backwards

not gonna comment on the rest becose you're talkin about jocks, goths and ravers wich is irrelevant to the subject at hand

You don't know what you're talking about. I don't know how old you are, but I'm old as dirt and was there. Hip hop heads got the baggie jeans and long tees from skateboarders. I ain't even talking about in 2009, EVERYBODY was rockin chain wallets throughout the 90's. And they all got that shit from skateboarders, who got that shit from Matt Hensley who was doing that shit in the late 80's.

Skateboarders STARTED the whole oldschool kicks throwback trend in the early-mid 90's. Infact, that shit started at Love park with people that I grew up skating with. It started because people were broke as shit and could get Pumas and Gazeles down 69th st for like $15 back in the early 90's and they were dope to skate in. Then the shit caught on and next thing you know you had EMB cats on the other side of the country rockin the shit, next thing you know all the hip-hop heads were rocking the shit, then EVERYBODY was rockin the shit by the mid 90's.

And what I was talking about the jocks, goths and ravers is NOT irrelevant to the subject, cause I was talking about how skateboarders influenced how they dressed.

are you fuckin serious??? the baggy pants thing comes from jail...it does not come from skateboarders..get it straight. the chain wallet thing is corny anyway but bet that rockers and bikers were sportin chain wallets yeeeaaars before skater ever got ahold of it so that holds no water. you point about the pumas and shelltoes is so incredibly stupid that i dont even feel it's worth a response. you're basicly sayin there was only those types of sneakers around so it was not a fashion statement...i'd really love what kinda dumb shit you can come up with to explain fat laces

You're a fucking idiot B. I was around when the shit took off. I remember hip-hop heads and black kids laughing at us for wearing baggy jeans, then like the next year or two later they were doing it too.

And rockers and Bikers weren't rockin the chain wallets that hung down you your knees. Skateboarders started that shit in the early 90's. You were probably too young to even remember that shit. You were probably still sucking on your moms tits.

You talking about shit that you weren't even around for is what's increadibly stupid.

As a matter of fact, skateboarders even brought back the fatboy laces when we brought back the oldschool kicks.

You're a fucking buster. Try talking about shit that you know about.

skateboarding influences so much shit, trends, businesses ect. a lot of people can appreciate/respect skateboarding/skateboarders. think of how many people you see wearing DC, Volcom, Vans ect.. that aren't skateboarders. i can't recall ever meeting a girl that didn't find skateboarding cool. i've said this before i believe but i also read somewhere tony hawk is the most recognizable person in america by your average person, meaning someone could point out and know who tony hawk is in a picture or something quicker than anyone else.

a couple businesses in the financial district in boston just removed a bunch of planters cause kids skate them every day. they knobbed some other shit, but the main ledges kids skated they just straight up removed. think about that shit, skateboarders pissed off some company enough they had their planters removed, atleast thats what i assumed cause they disappeared the same time the others got knobbed.