The Great Photography Superthread

H. Lecter

hipturt2.jpg

hipturt.jpg

NAIROBI (AFP) - A baby hippopotamus that survived the tsunami waves on the Kenyan coast has formed a strong bond with a giant male century-old tortoise, in an animal facility in the port city of Mombassa, officials said.

The hippopotamus, nicknamed Owen and weighing about 300 kilograms (650 pounds), was swept down Sabaki River into the Indian Ocean, then forced back to shore when tsunami waves struck the Kenyan coast on December 26, before wildlife rangers rescued him.

"It is incredible. A-less-than-a-year-old hippo has adopted a male tortoise, about a century old, and the tortoise seems to be very happy with being a 'mother'," ecologist Paula Kahumbu, who is in charge of Lafarge Park, told AFP.

"After it was swept and lost its mother, the hippo was traumatized. It had to look for something to be a surrogate mother. Fortunately, it landed on the tortoise and established a strong bond. They swim, eat and sleep together," the ecologist added. "The hippo follows the tortoise exactly the way it follows its mother. If somebody approaches the tortoise, the hippo becomes aggressive, as if protecting its biological mother," Kahumbu added.

"The hippo is a young baby, he was left at a very tender age and by nature, hippos are social animals that like to stay with their mothers for four years," he explained.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by H. Lecter@Oct 13 2005, 02:52 PM

_38456767_drugs300.jpg

Book Of Genesis

Chapter 1

Verse 29

"God said, 'Look, to you I give all the seed-bearing plants everywhere on the surface of the earth; and all trees with seed-bearing fruit'.."

constitution line 1

and we the government shall tax those seeds and plants and furit ,unless minorities use them in witch case they will be outlawed :burn:

I almost always give my source at the bottom of the shot~

of the ones that I did'nt take, I come across them mostly in the photo sections of news websites like news.bbc.co.uk , Reuters , Telegraaf.nl, etc. etc.

or I find them digging through travel websites,

or even just stumbling upon them in obscure type of places..and just know they need to be shared...

I've always got an eye out~Your appreciation is really much appreciated

111423-Sunset-1.jpg

Koh Phi Phi, Thailand

109259-Buddha-0.jpg

Sukhothai

109301-Lahu-Village-house-0.jpg

Lahu Villages, Suppong.

107318-bring-it-on-0.jpg

37444-The-Beach-0.jpg

Haad Rin Beach, Full Moon Party.

37452-The-Beach-2-0.jpg

Haad Rin Beach, after the 12+ hours of non-stop madness that is the full moon party

100987-Ayuthaya-Ruins-0.jpg

Ayutthaya Ruins, Thailand.

76945-Khao-Sun-Road-0.jpg

Khao Sahn Road in Bangkok... looks pretty quiet, comparatively.

56485-Korn-and-me-0.jpg

The dude's name is Korn and i have no idea who the broad is. Korn does the best Bamboo Tattoos in all of Nothern Thailand - unbelieably skilled artist, and it's cheap as shit. Less painful than gun tattoos, less bleeding. I can't wait to get my second tattoo this summer when i'm back in Pai.

56439-View-from-our-bungalow-0.jpg

Pai, Thailand.

51570-Monkeys-EVERYWHERE-0.jpg

Street Monkey Crew, Lopburi, Thailand. Monkeys fucking EVERYWHERE.

As you can tell, I fucking love Thailand.