'Concept' Writers

-Unztopbl750-

Originally posted by porque@Apr 9 2005, 02:58 AM

...graffiti is not art...it never will be...it's just fuckin graffiti...

...that statement may piss some of you off, but it's true...one of the things i was trying to get across in the other thread is the huge difference between underground arts and Art...i have no idea what kind of 'concept' graffiti you're talking about, but if you're referring to people painting murals, than it's not graffiti, it's a mural...murals then relate to the history of mural painting, not graffit, wether they used spray paint or not...

...i'm kinda drunk...i'll finish my thoughts later...

You dumbass :haha: :haha: :haha:

Maybe TAGS aren't art, but come the fuck on man, Graff is art - street art.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by seeking@Apr 14 2005, 12:01 AM

no, porque is right, sorry.

the fact that you'd seperate tags from the rest of writing just further proves you have no clue what you're talking about.

you should apologize for calling him a dumbass.

Good call. Tags are very important.

this thread is flat, while some of the styles may be quite complex, the actual "concept" of graffiti is a lot simpler than some cats want it to be, you are putting your name on a wall, THAT is the fucking idea here, if a writer puts some deep meaning behind a peice then all the power to them, but it is still someone's name on a wall, and they are still on the same boat as the dude who does tags and fillins every night.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't read any particularly good argument for graffiti not being art on here. I know sometimes I'd like to think writing has nothing in common with art, but when I take step back and look at the bigger picture, not just the gallery bound post-post modern bullshit that is currently IT in art, I feel differently. I think writing is a folk art, with a focus on traditions, skills and productivity, rather than concept.

I'm not certain why writers seem so eager to believe that graffiti exists in a bubble, untouched by outside influences and unlike anything else on earth.......

Originally posted by bodice_ripper@May 2 2005, 09:18 AM

I'm not certain why writers seem so eager to believe that graffiti exists in a bubble, untouched by outside influences and unlike anything else on earth.......

Because it helps to enforce the idea that they are unique individuals creating something that's never been done before.

I hate talking about this shit. Just enjoy graffiti for what it is. Stupid fun. Does it need to be any more complicated than that? It's not exactly an intellectual pursuit.

Some people say my own graffiti is conceptual and abstract, but I'm just doodling and painting for fun, really. It's not going to make me any money, in all likelihood, and I'm certainly not going to be remembered when I'm gone. 99.99999% of kids that paint are never going to make any impact besides maybe their local scene, and certainly not on the art world.

Just enjoy it as a way to experience your life and stop trying to rationalize and dissect it. I get tired and depressed just thinking about that.

YO Old G

"I get tired and depressed"

= time 2 get outa the rut

Im's in the ditch 2,

but negative energy (without sound'n like a fuck'n hippie)

depleats your own system...

Nows I think of it, maybes wihy Jasus inVENTed Graffiti

DRUNK

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by -Unztopbl750-@Apr 7 2005, 04:35 PM

KRink is definitely clever, but I think it kind of defeats the point. Graffitti by its nature is meant to be sorta freeform, and selling people your custom ink is (in my opinion) just like licensing people to use your style. Better to tell people how to make the shit, and let them individualise it

not to tell you your opinion is wrong, but what is "the point". in my eyes graffiti or "getting up" is advertisement. so while KRink could have posters or ads, why not use your own product and show it to those who will use it. get right to the point ya know. with the amount of money one ad in a graffiti magazine would cost, you could have 1000 tags advertising your product for free? think what you want to think. im not stoping you, but your veiws were expresed and im just doing the same.