graffiti invading video games...

misteraven

Guest imported_b0b

"Atari will revisit the roots of modern video games with a contemporary spin with its upcoming Retro Atari Classics for the Nintendo DS. The game, expected to be available in March 2005, will reinvent 10 classic Atari titles with fresh graphics provided by world renowned graffiti artists"

"Retro Atari Classics will feature 10 original Atari games, including Pong, Missile Command, Asteroids, Breakout, Centipede, Tempest, Warlords, Gravitar, Lunar Lander and Sprint. Each title will be playable in its original form as well as in the all new "Tagged" mode, featuring brand new looks from some of today's most popular graffiti artists, including REAS, Delta and Obey Giant. "

LINK HERE.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Banksy can indeed, bugger off.

I swear in one of the THUG games you can create a tag and go round bombing.

one of the objectives is to line out some dude 5 times....

Originally posted by Poop Man Bob@Feb 8 2005, 09:18 AM

Damn. I just now made the connection between the "Raven" graffiti in Driver and the "Raven" of 12oz. I'm a tad slow, I guess. Driver was a fun game.

my 2 minutes of fame... when you drive through the miami level, every throw-up in the city is a step and repeated version of that same throw-up.

Originally posted by crave@Jan 26 2005, 05:57 AM

writers that are used should get royalties from whatever company is using their shit.

agreed. the tony hawk's pro skater developers paid $0 royalties to the writers whos graffiti was featured in their games. the skateboarders made a mint, the developers made a mint, the games have sold in the millions.....they couldn't break off a few g's for the writers?

i think for the most part the writers just want to be in the game,regaurdless of money.Its just another way to get over.

honestly if someone said we want your handstyle in millions of peoples homes on a daily basis would you turn it down?

But if said writer had to develop a new image strictly for the game.different story.

I have mixed feelings about it.

I think its good that people are getting some light, but its not good theyre not getting the dough for the work they put in.

Somebody takes 6 hours on a legal piece so a program can scan it and code it in 13 minutes.

Also on the whole character actually doing the graffiti tip, Id like to be a little more realistic, Ecko's Getting Up looks like a decent game, and Ill probably end up having a friend pick it up so i can mooch some play time off them. But Id just like the whole thing to be more realistic.

This whole field can be taken to a new level, online play etc. A large city map where people do their thing. I got plenty of ideas, but too tired to type them all out.

^Yeah, I was talking to glik0 acouple days ago about how they should change the getting over game. First off, to anyone that's played Manhunt, I'd like you to think about its gameplay. Slow stalkerish type game. It's perfect. It creates the emotions involved with graffiti actually.. sometimes you get spotted and you run and hide in a bush or something and wait for them to stop looking for you. It also gives you the sense of anxiety when you are about to kill someone, you have to walk up to your prey as silent as possible and get pretty damn close, then, as soon as he's dead you feel relieved. It's really a really well made game.. and it would work perfectly for graffiti. Unfortunately marc had to represent hip hop culture with backflips off of subways and getting shot at by the po-po.

I'll be renting it, but I'm pretty sure that's about it.

Originally posted by The Leader@Feb 8 2005, 07:11 PM

I'm not interested enough in fame to have my shit in 1 billion households. If there was money involved I'd be all over it though.

Ill read this as maybe your not that good. Graff is about Fame. Anyone who isn’t that interested, in the fame, maybe isn’t really interested in writing in the first place. It’s like someone being like hey there’s this billboard in a random high traffic area, that im not using go ahead and paint it.... and you say nah im not that interested in having people see what i do.

Beyond that, Once your shit hits the streets its public domain for the most part.?.? ( I think but i don’t know)

And I'm not sure i see the difference between video game ups and magazine or book ups, unless the books about you, your not making shit, now granted there are few if any, graff mags that make any money, but still your up and getting out there as the magazines circulate.

Stealing Images from published books is NOT cool, but if your making games and go flick shit to use, what’s the difference between that and someone posting here? Your fooling yourself if you think that, your (not you leader, but you as in most of us) shit is what’s really selling the game; Minus a few names that might make a few people go and get the game specifically, i.e. Copalopa. But those names get paid. But I know I'm not going to get the game because JiplipOner is in it, if i got it would be cause the game itself is fresh, and WELL made. A poorly programmed game will kill even the best graphics, and hip intensions.

Maybe its my long day speaking but i think i feel at least partly this way. Ask me later.

I swear my next shit is going to be me in Time Square with a bullhorn getting the name out there. "HEAVYLOX"

Originally posted by heavyLox@Feb 9 2005, 12:07 PM

Ill read this as maybe your not that good. Graff is about Fame. Anyone who isn’t that interested, in the fame, maybe isn’t really interested in writing in the first place. It’s like someone being like hey there’s this billboard in a random high traffic area, that im not using go ahead and paint it.... and you say nah im not that interested in having people see what i do.

Beyond that, Once your shit hits the streets its public domain for the most part.?.? ( I think but i don’t know)

And I'm not sure i see the difference between video game ups and magazine or book ups, unless the books about you, your not making shit, now granted there are few if any, graff mags that make any money, but still your up and getting out there as the magazines circulate.

Stealing Images from published books is NOT cool, but if your making games and go flick shit to use, what’s the difference between that and someone posting here? Your fooling yourself if you think that, your (not you leader, but you as in most of us) shit is what’s really selling the game; Minus a few names that might make a few people go and get the game specifically, i.e. Copalopa. But those names get paid. But I know I'm not going to get the game because JiplipOner is in it, if i got it would be cause the game itself is fresh, and WELL made. A poorly programmed game will kill even the best graphics, and hip intensions.

yeah, but put it in the context of the latest tony hawk game. they came on here (and no doubt other webites) asking writers for their stuff to use in the game. this is a multi million dollar company that will make even more millions using your work in a game (which is one of the most profitable franchises in video game history) they are developing.

the programmers get paid.

the designers get paid.

the musicians who provide the soundtrack get paid.

the skateboarders who feature in the game get paid.

the graffiti writers who provide imagery for the game don't get paid??

does that sound fair to you? it's not a question of ups, it's a question of principles.

They probably see it as this. Yes you may be good but, if you won't do it... there are just as many people that are as good as you that will. Someone is always going to be willing to do it for free, regardless if it makes millions of dollars and they don't make a cent off of it. Principles are stomped on by the entertainment industry.

Originally posted by heavyLox+Feb 8 2005, 07:07 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (heavyLox - Feb 8 2005, 07:07 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-The Leader@Feb 8 2005, 07:11 PM

I'm not interested enough in fame to have my shit in 1 billion households. If there was money involved I'd be all over it though.

[/b]

Well, maybe I phrased that wrong. I'm not interested in THAT kind of fame. A bunch of kids that know nothing about graffiti and play THPS will never see me up unless they get stopped at a RR crossing. Well, they'll see tags on streets, but that's only going to be people in my city and a few select areas around North America.

Does that make more sense?

**edit: as well as book/magazine/internet/videogame fame is nothing. I'd much rather people catch my shit themselves then them seeing me in a magazine. I think magazines and the such take away from the overall feeling of the graffiti. Same with metal heads/brick slayers. Graffiti is 100 times better when you see it for yourself.

Originally posted by JohnnyLode@Feb 9 2005, 01:33 PM

They probably see it as this. Yes you may be good but, if you won't do it... there are just as many people that are as good as you that will. Someone is always going to be willing to do it for free, regardless if it makes millions of dollars and they don't make a cent off of it. Principles are stomped on by the entertainment industry.

maybe that is the case (well, it is the case), but that doesn't mean i'm going to sell myself short just cos someone else will. i'm going to keep writing regardless of a videogame, so whether or not i'm in it i don't really care, but if they're serving pie, i want a piece too.

to quote j-zone:

"fuck you, pay me"

Have you ever heard a new word or phrase, and shortly there after you hear it repeatedly, where before you fell like it didnt exist then out of the blue its everywhere?

thats the magazine shit. I have seen flicks in magazines, from writers that for one reason or another i missed in the streets or wherever, but upon seeing it in a magazine i then notice it when im in the real world.

ABC im fairly confident that the TONY hawk would have made money with or with out graffiti involved. All im saying is I would be mad if i saw a piece of mine in a game. Obviously getting paid would be swell as hell and pay some bill at the same time; But you gotta understand "im doing this even without a record contract".

FowDaLub nuckah. I work a day job for the chedders and chips.

Originally posted by heavyLox@Feb 9 2005, 02:02 PM

ABC im fairly confident that the TONY hawk would have made money with or with out graffiti involved. All im saying is I would be mad if i saw a piece of mine in a game. Obviously getting paid would be swell as hell and pay some bill at the same time; But you gotta understand "im doing this even without a record contract".

oh, i know his game didn't sell cos of the graffiti. and if my piece turned up in it out of the blue, i'd probably be puzzled more than anything.

the point i'm trying to make is that they actively sought out people to contribute their graffiti to the game. when they asked eric koston if they could use his name and likeness in the game, they sure as hell didn't acquire it by saying "we can't pay you, but it'd be great exposure!". although the graffiti is not the most important aspect of the game, it's still a contribution by a talented individual. you wouldn't expect the type of royalties tony hawk is making, but a couple g's would be a fair request for your efforts

no but writers aare the most juiced unit in HIP-HOP, what did haze get for doing the hersheys (sp? the chocolate) logo 200$. Graffiti is the oddest thing ever. the quest to be known, but not really known. Its the one thing that can help sell shit yet it never seems to pay for itself. SO i guess im saying your doing it already, why not jump on some free publicity. Like coming off in a movie.

I totally get (that sounded kinda valley girl) that if they make cheese you should make cheese; But I see it ass being and extra in a movie you show up you standaround, then i few months later you have some to show you friends and have laugh with... and so someone makes a gazillion dollars, you still get to have the laugh with you friends, that is, if one of you goes out and buys the game/or movie.

And asking to use flicks is better then just doing it. I mean if its something i had already painted, I dont see the problem. I mean i SEE the problem But im trying to talk myself out of it being a problem so when the new ecko game drops an IM all oer the bitch i wont be mad i didnt get paid.

Originally posted by heavyLox@Feb 8 2005, 09:56 PM

I totally get (that sounded kinda valley girl) that if they make cheese you should make cheese; But I see it ass being and extra in a movie you show up you standaround, then i few months later you have some to show you friends and have laugh with... and so someone makes a gazillion dollars, you still get to have the laugh with you friends, that is, if one of you goes out and buys the game/or movie.

excellent analogy.