BALTIMORE

robJ

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

came across this on another board

Its august 1999 my 5th interview leads me to a graffiti writter who goes by the name "BAAL"

we agree to meet at at blimpies restaurant in manhattan, 15 minutes pass the time we agreed to meet when a white male with a slim muscular build looking in his early to mid 20`s approaches me with 4 other individuals."hi im baal" he says, he is clearly intoxicated this detured me from conducting the interview but after being reashured several times that he was ok and ready i decided to proceed.

JOHNpublication: how are you doing.

BAAL: im good.

JOHNpublication: so when did you first start writting graffiti.

BAAL: 1991 but back then i wrote KOD it stood for king of destruction it was more a nickname than a tag really i only wrote that around 20 times on various things, it wasint till 1993 that i started writting baal.

JOHNpublication: and what does baal stand for?

BAAL: nothing.

JOHNpublication: your obviously an adult why do you keep doing something that you did as a child

BAAL: a few reasons, its addictive i never go out without something to hit up with, also thats

the only thing in my life i was ever good at i have bombed with alot of people and verry few

are still in the game, some people are afraid to do certain things or go in certain areas,

my love for graffiti overcomes my sence of fear. im proud of what i do i take a s*** load of

risks doing it ive been beat up, locked up, broke bones, chased by cops but im still here,

i know what i do is viewed as immature by some people and i can even understand that but i dont care this is what i do weather im 14 or 40 and ill never stop its just in me, you have some writters saying they will never quit but verry few really mean it, you know how i know ill give you a reason, after spending 3 months in jail for graff and put on 1 year probation the verry next night after i was released i bombed the d line mad hard now thats f****** dedication my man.

JOHNpublication: you have been beat up over tagging? why would you want to live like that?

BAAL: yeah several times, graff is verry aggressive its like the nba its nuttin but

egos and it dont take much to cause some drama sometimes it dosint even take anything.

JOHNpublication: how do you support yourself?

BAAL: i have a job.

JOHNpublication: you said you where incarcerated is that something your proud of, do you think in the end it was worth it?

BAAL: ive been locked up several times for different s*** but no im not proud of it i didint like it but getting locked up is one of the many risks you face in the game like i said my love for graff overcomes all the risks.

JOHNpublication: what exactly is it that you write your tag on do you have favorite places.

BAAL: i like trains i gravitate twords anything related to them especially train tunnels, we used to just hang out in them in the emergency exits when i was younger we had parties in them i even f***** in them, ill just be at home and out of no where grab a chrome rusto and go hit up a tunnel by myself.

JOHNpublication: so many people have died going in train tunnels and that dosint detur you at all not to mention the homeless people who live in them.

BAAL: s*** i love it down there i swear to god i feel like im at home, yeah thers been a couple close calls but all when i was much younger now i know all the ins and outs of them, the different sounds the rails make, the signals etc. and as for the bums there cool if your cool, give em a newport and there your best friend, i remember i was by myself bombin a tunnel in the bronx and a bum came up to me with a bat but after he realized i wasint intrested in stealing his stuff he was mad cool we talked for bout an hour he said he has seen my tag in other tunnels and it was funny hearing that from a bum, he also talked about other writters he has met.

JOHNpublication: growing up where your parents aware of your tagging habbits?

BAAL: yeah they where, i was just a punk kid always in trouble so it wasint a suprise to them,

JOHNpublication: spray paint can be expensive dont you think your money could be put to better use.

BAAL: i verry rarely buy the paint, unless its the fancy s*** from europe but i dont f*** with that as much as i do krylon and rusto, here all the stores have cages on the paint but when you go to nj or pa thers no cages just bring a duffel bag load the shit up and bounce.

JOHNpublication: one last question if you dont mind me asking did you finish high school?

BAAL: no, i was expelled in the 9th grade and never went back

JOHNpublication: well i guess that will wrap it up thank you for taking the time to talk with me.

BAAL: no problem.

figure id add some flix

Archived