Hobos, Tramps and Homeless Bums

KaBar

LOL. There are no "irrelevant" posts. Everything is connected to everything else, therefore pretty much anything of which one can conceive can be shown to be germane with only a minimal amount of effort.

For instance--

I just received a postcard from the current reigning Queen of Hobos, Stray Cat Julie, who is up in the Yukon taking care of Husky sled dogs and training them for sled racing.

Mon 2 Nov 2009 Yukon, Canada

Greetings from the Great White North! It really started snowing last week . . .a foot and a half piled up all around me, and a few more inches settle on top of that almost every day. That's good for dog mushers like me and those who came here to the last rugged frontier with visions of wilderness and open space. A lot of people come up here to escape the insanity of city living, and there is certainly much opportunity to do so.

Life is pretty busy. I spend a bit of every day shoveling dog poop, feeding the beasties and training them. These dogs LOVE TO RUN, and it's so good feeling to glide through wilderness enjoying the silence, mountain scenery and watching the long string of dogs disappear around turns and over hills--just like a short train! Once in a whle I wonder what's going on in places like NOLA (New Orleans) or wish I had time for one last ride on a line about to close (right now that's the Feather River Route.)

All for now---

Julie

Who would guess that Canadian dog sled mushing and trainhopping have even the slightest thing in common?

But apparently they do.

loveless_tater_small_hp.jpg

Dry land sled dogs---they pull a three-wheeled "sled"--no snow.

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Reliable sources say getting off/on in dc is usually a bad idea but just rolling through is no big deal...just thought id throw youa bone doggy...

I could really go for a good freight hop right now. Every time I go out to a layup/yard, i want to leave with the trains. Perhaps next summer i will ride from DC to West Virginia or some other city in the region. Unfortunately my current obligations keep me from leaving for very long.

Good insights Kabar2, really enjoy reading your posts, even the irrelevant ones.

God bless CSX!

Who would guess that Canadian dog sled mushing and trainhopping have even the slightest thing in common?

But apparently they do.

QUOTE]

I still don't see the connection. And I'd say posting a letter you recieved from an old friend constitutes as an irrelevant post. But, big ups on the few things you do say that are actually interesting.

But apparently they do.

QUOTE]

I still don't see the connection. And I'd say posting a letter you recieved from an old friend constitutes as an irrelevant post. But, big ups on the few things you do say that are actually interesting.

The letter is from someone who rides trains to someone who rides trains and mentions some train shit...how is that irrelevant? Just because its not some fuunny little anecdote for you to chew on? Go suck a fuck...I ride freight trains motherfucker what do you do????

This thread is amazing. I was reading through the first few pages and was amazed at how thought out and interesting the posts were, then I noticed they were eight years old and was just getting ready to get my "end times" grump on and curse and my generation for not putting any care or time into things, like they used to, when I checked the last page and found, with some exceptions, things to be continuing pretty well - and Kabar still on here schoolin up the the youngins in railroad lore.

A+++++++

Thanks,

ladysmith

Glad you are enjoying it.

Radiologist--

The dog musher chick is the current reigning Queen of Hobos, Stray Cat Julie, who now has about ten years on the rails. That woman is the most enthusiastic trainhopper I ever met. She rides coast to coast on a piece of toast! Raised in the wilds of the Canadian Maritimes, she is a former Canadian Navy sailor, speaks French, English, Spanish and some Korean, trainhopper, wilderness backpacker, English teacher in Korea, multi-talented musician (guitar, violin, dulcimer and concertina), university educated and all-around cool person. And good lookin', too.

There's your connection right there, LOL.

Re: Frisco Jack caught the Westbound.

One of our most famous depression-era hobos, Frisco Jack Sopko caught the westbound. This is such sad news. He was just two months shy of his 100th birthday.

Frisco Jack was the 1985 National Hobo King. He was a legend among the hobos and among the townsfolk of Britt. He was responsible for the words of the Four Winds ritual with which the tramps open the National Hobo Convention and welcome folks each year. It's a special campfire lighting service that is now emceed by 2002 National Hobo King, Redbird Express. Frisco Jack was known as a "Bridger" first riding the rails on steam trains and then bridging over to diesel-electric.

He introduced several members of the hobo family to making the "monkey fist knot" and "Turk's Head knot" necklaces to sell and make some pocket money up at Britt.

From Hobo News and Review April, 1988, Edition 32 (Hoboes of America)

Letters to the Editor (Hoboes of America)

Queen and Empress of Rails and Jungles: (Garnette)

As the beachcomber said ,"Long time, no sea." I'm only making one or two trips a year now, having just cleared out of the repair shop. It looks like we can start laying down our shovels and go on the bum. "Hallelujah, I'm a Bum!", as Haywire Mac used to sing.

I made the Eastern Swing last summer to Steamtown, Vermont. Say, did you know that the Big Hogs are no longer stationed there? They have moved them to Scranton. I sure get a nostalgic feeling going there to those yards. There are engines from most of the railroads of the U.S., namely the Big Boy, T.R. Burlington High Wheeler, Grand Western, the S.P. Mallet (or as we say, the "Mally".) Sure miss that faint odor of sulphur. Nothing will ever replace the Windjammer (air compressor) along with the steam whistle. Yeah, the Old Iron Horse was our Pegasus and we rode him into the sunset.

I am sending five skins for Hobo News. I wish you a fine trip to India and China. I was glad to see that you dedicated the last issue of the Hobo News to the El Paso Kid. He's sure one knowledgeable and experienced hobo. He and Cardboard are without a doubt the most travelled and resourceful hoboes in the country. They really can make a jungle function right.

Well, some people don't know when to quit so I better stop.

Adios, Frisco Jack from Trafford, Pennsylvania.

The Old Heads are dropping like flies, boys. If you find an old tramp, do your best to get him to pass on some knowledge. Pretty soon they'll all be gone, and we'll be left here to fend for ourselves.

Re: Frisco Jack caught the Westbound.

I already fend for myself!

RIP.

One of our most famous depression-era hobos, Frisco Jack Sopko caught the westbound. This is such sad news. He was just two months shy of his 100th birthday.

Frisco Jack was the 1985 National Hobo King. He was a legend among the hobos and among the townsfolk of Britt. He was responsible for the words of the Four Winds ritual with which the tramps open the National Hobo Convention and welcome folks each year. It's a special campfire lighting service that is now emceed by 2002 National Hobo King, Redbird Express. Frisco Jack was known as a "Bridger" first riding the rails on steam trains and then bridging over to diesel-electric.

He introduced several members of the hobo family to making the "monkey fist knot" and "Turk's Head knot" necklaces to sell and make some pocket money up at Britt.

From Hobo News and Review April, 1988, Edition 32 (Hoboes of America)

Letters to the Editor (Hoboes of America)

Queen and Empress of Rails and Jungles: (Garnette)

As the beachcomber said ,"Long time, no sea." I'm only making one or two trips a year now, having just cleared out of the repair shop. It looks like we can start laying down our shovels and go on the bum. "Hallelujah, I'm a Bum!", as Haywire Mac used to sing.

I made the Eastern Swing last summer to Steamtown, Vermont. Say, did you know that the Big Hogs are no longer stationed there? They have moved them to Scranton. I sure get a nostalgic feeling going there to those yards. There are engines from most of the railroads of the U.S., namely the Big Boy, T.R. Burlington High Wheeler, Grand Western, the S.P. Mallet (or as we say, the "Mally".) Sure miss that faint odor of sulphur. Nothing will ever replace the Windjammer (air compressor) along with the steam whistle. Yeah, the Old Iron Horse was our Pegasus and we rode him into the sunset.

I am sending five skins for Hobo News. I wish you a fine trip to India and China. I was glad to see that you dedicated the last issue of the Hobo News to the El Paso Kid. He's sure one knowledgeable and experienced hobo. He and Cardboard are without a doubt the most travelled and resourceful hoboes in the country. They really can make a jungle function right.

Well, some people don't know when to quit so I better stop.

Adios, Frisco Jack from Trafford, Pennsylvania.

The Old Heads are dropping like flies, boys. If you find an old tramp, do your best to get him to pass on some knowledge. Pretty soon they'll all be gone, and we'll be left here to fend for ourselves.

• 2 weeks later...

Jester---

If you want to make his graduation on time, you'd be a lot better off taking a bus. You can catch out to wherever after the graduation. Trainhopping is a notoriously undependable form of transportation, especially if you are trying to get somewhere at a particular time. Most tramps don't set out planning out how to get from Point "A" to Point "B". They ride the train to wherever it goes, rather than trying to figure out what train to take to get to Shitkick, South Carolina.

For instance, if I set out from my local catch-out going north, I am going to wind up in Fort Worth, Texas. It would be very easy for me to ride back and forth, back and forth between Fort Worth and Houston, or Houston and San Antonio. But from my jungle, it is not as easy to get to Dallas. Therefore, I would go to Fort Worth and San Antonio and be happy, and not worry much about going to Dallas.

Have a look at the maps here http://www.mcrdpi.usmc.mil/index.asp

Jester---

If you want to make his graduation on time, you'd be a lot better off taking a bus. You can catch out to wherever after the graduation. Trainhopping is a notoriously undependable form of transportation, especially if you are trying to get somewhere at a particular time. Most tramps don't set out planning out how to get from Point "A" to Point "B". They ride the train to wherever it goes, rather than trying to figure out what train to take to get to Shitkick, South Carolina.

For instance, if I set out from my local catch-out going north, I am going to wind up in Fort Worth, Texas. It would be very easy for me to ride back and forth, back and forth between Fort Worth and Houston, or Houston and San Antonio. But from my jungle, it is not as easy to get to Dallas. Therefore, I would go to Fort Worth and San Antonio and be happy, and not worry much about going to Dallas.

Have a look at the maps here http://www.mcrdpi.usmc.mil/index.asp

or walk downtown get on the tre and steal a ride to dallas from ft worthless.

haha.

i dont think there are any trains that would take you to dallas from htown. they should all be going to ft worth. is there even an actual houston-dallas train? seem slike theyd all go to centennial and get made into some little transfer kind of deal. i might be wrong about that though. im not an expert.

i hate ft worth!

personally i do not just get on a random trains and see what happens. i decide where i want to go and i get on the right train (sometimes haha) and get there! i take great pride in the amount of train info i have accumulated in the last 5 or 6 years of doing this shit. i pass on the info every chance i get when someone needs a hand ive given several kids on here solid info on how to get where they need to get down to like which bush is the best one to hide in. hahah.. solid legit train info is like gold! even folks ive met who have a lot more time on trains are kind of clueless about REAL train info. specific stuff. not just..oh if you get on a train over there itll take you north. NO SHIT the line goes north. haha.

south sw north nw west i got it son! i need to learn about the east coast. thats the plan after winter.

austin-chicago-lacrosse-minot-havre-whitefish-seattle-portland-bakersfield-colton-tucson-el paso-ft worth.

we missed the train that would have taken us to san antonio by seconds so we went to ft worth instead from el paso. its kind of hard to tell which train will go to englewood and which ones are going to memphis or marion. except the piggybacks. those dont go to houston on the sunset. but all those places were where we wanted to go and we got there no problem.

i like knowing what train is going to get me where i need to go. i dont really wander aimlessly when i ride trains. ill be out for months but going to places i plan on going and of course sometimes ending up in a place i wasnt expecting to end up because no one is right all the time. then ill know how to get there if i ever want to go. (little rock haha)

but i know how to get where i need to be with minimal train switching usually. i know whats up!

if you have a good amount of time to get where you need to be its usually pretty easy to do it. but you know if you need to get from jacksonville to fucking seattle in 4 days that just isnt going to happen. you gotta be realistic. in my experience trains seem to take roughly 2x as long to get to a place as it does to drive from point a to b. im not saying it will take you 2x as long to get from where you are to where youre going unless its 1 train. like houston to san antonio. takes about 3 hours to drive and the fastest ive got there is 6 1/2-7 hours by train. the longest was around 11 hours. takes about 2 1/2 days to get from texas to west colton on 1 train and like a day or whatever to drive it. but you know sometimes you get that wack super slow junk train that sides at every siding for no reason for 3 hours and it takes you 24 hours to go like 100 miles. ive been on those trains. THEY SUCK. 27 hours to go from houston to eagle lake. look it up!

or maybe your train breaks down for 12 hours. or it takes you 5 days of waiting to get on a train. you have to take things like that into consideration. i always tell people IF EVERYTHING GOES RIGHT it will take you about x number of days to get wherever. but everything does not go right. haha. NEVER. there are always complications. but thats what keeps you on your toes dooodz.

im gonna stop rambling and get back to drawing.

i like rambling about train shit. haha!