Hobos, Tramps and Homeless Bums

KaBar

i been reading a lil bit on drifters and it sounds kinda intresting any feedback on hitting the tracks to someone thats never done it

yessir.

DONT DO IT.

ill steal your gear and sell it for creee-aaaak and 6.99 minhas cases in lacrosse.

hardyharhar...

really though there is no preparation. you just have to get out there and do it. you can read shit talk to people and all that but until youre out there doing it you dont really know shit about shit. as far as the train riding part thats the easy part. its not rocket surgery. if some scumfuck junky jerkass can make it across the country in one piece i think just about anyone with a little common sense can do it...blah blah blah.

bottom line: if you feel like going for it then just go for it. YEP.

ps im not eatso.

eatso is off being a bum somewhere. hopefully scrounging up some busfare.

im sitting in a coffee shop feeling like some sort of normal human being for a change. haha

its nice not smelling like a dead animal and looking like a slept in a pile of dirt..

i have to say is the whitefish-seattle portion has been the most scenic and awesome part of this little adventure so far. snaking down the coast into seattle was excellent.

rolling somewhere...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Isn't that Queen Stray Cat Julie there on the left? Yes, I'm pretty sure that's her.

BTW, I got a letter from Stray Cat. She's wintering up in the Yukon Territory and has a job training Husky sled dogs. (Really. This is true.) She tried to sneak on board the ferry that hauls rail cars up to Alaska, but security was too tight. I think they actually made it on to the train once, but had to bail because the bull was checking the cars systematically.

Why can't I live a life like this? Dammit.

Isn't that Queen Stray Cat Julie there on the left? Yes, I'm pretty sure that's her.

BTW, I got a letter from Stray Cat. She's wintering up in the Yukon Territory and has a job training Husky sled dogs. (Really. This is true.) She tried to sneak on board the ferry that hauls rail cars up to Alaska, but security was too tight. I think they actually made it on to the train once, but had to bail because the bull was checking the cars systematically.

Why can't I live a life like this? Dammit.

i know someone who made it on the ferry awhile back.

crazy shit!

TOURIST UNION 63 SEEKING MEMBERS

The Original Tourist Union 63 Organization started in 1897 and since that time has never been disbanded. At this time, it is my desire to reactivate the Tourist Union 63 Organization. I am starting a membership drive to Help Our Brothers Overcome (H.O.B.O). Members of the Tourist Union 63 Organization will receive:

A Tourist Union 63 membership card, good for one year.

Renewable each August.

A History of Tourist Union 63 written by an original member of

Tourist Union No. 63.

The funds from memberships will be used to aid needy Hobos when appropriate.

No funds will be given to anyone without the approval of a Tourist Union 63 Committee's vote. H.O.B.O. was an organization started by the 1996 Hobo King Liberty Justice who Caught the Westbound in 2008. Helping Our Brothers (and sisters) Overcome ties nicely to the goals of the original Tourist Union 63 Organization in 1897 as well as today.

Please join by sending your $5.00 membership fee plus name and address and phone number to:

TUCK -- 2007/2008 Hobo King

Tourist Union 63

P.O. Box 18495

Minneapolis, MN 55418

Make checks payable to: Tourist Union 63

HELP KEEP TOURIST UNION 63 ALIVE

Thanks,

Tuck

Tuck is a straight-up former railrider. He and Minneapolis Jewell have lived together taking care of mentally challenged adult men for many years. I know him, Stretch knows him, everybody at Britt knows and respects Tuck. He was one of the original Boxcar Boys and rode with Preacher Steve, Dan Boone, Dog Man Tony, New York Slim, New York Ron, King Frog, 8-Ball, Shot Down Wills, Space Man and all the rest of the black bandana hobos back in the day. He and Jewell live in Minneapolis and Tuck operates a automobile engine re-building business out of his garage. He has served on every Hobo Council that I ever attended. Bottom line, he is a straight-up tramp, who like many others, came in off the rails and straightened out because he fell in love with a good woman. In my experience, he is a trustworthy guy.

Anybody who wants to join TU63 can do so, but it is a trainhopper's organization. If you join, and you're not a rail rider, it will become painfully obvious the first time you run into real tramps. But if you have genuine railriding experience, I hope you'll consider joining. Dues are cheap, and will be used for a good cause.

K-Bar

• 2 weeks later...

I really would like to hop a train one day, but right now it seems pretty unrealistic. It'd be fun just traveling around north america and trying to avoid being caught. But really I think the difficulty of it would outweigh the fun. I mean, you would be dirty, and your limited to what you can carry for supplies. Supplying your basic needs would be hard too, money or stealing food, having a clean change of clothes, etc... Although I think one day if I didn't have to worry about taking care of rent and bills and all the other stuff of civilian life, plus having the funds to at least buy what you need when you need it at various stops along your journey. Then yeah, I think I'd be a fun adventure.

i want to watch Long Gone again SO bad.

ive never seen that one.

i sort of like watching movies about riding trains but then im like..well.. ive been there i know how it is already. they mostly make me wanna go get on a train asap.

going to see who is bozo texino in houston when bill daniels came through was fun. standing outside drinking some whiskey waiting for the movie to start kind of laughing at a bunch of railfan nerds. i like trains. i LOVE trains. but i dont get a boner when i see UP 6748 pass by.

It is with a sad heart that I must inform the Hobo community that we have lost another member of our family. JJ (Joyce) passed away today November 7th. She had gone in and had her much needed knee replacement. Apparently the operation went like it was supposed to but she passed away in her sleep. Duane asked me to let everyone know that she went peacefully. People will remember her mostly for the wonderful meals she served in Britt. Funeral arrangements are still being made and will be posted when we know. Cards, condolences, memorials may be sent to:

Duane Tonsager, 42012 275th Ave. Browerville, MN 56438.

Be safe, Tammy

Joyce and Duane were very generous to the tramps up at Britt every year. Joyce was an excellent cook and people were always asking "When is that lady with the long braids going to cook again?" Although they are people of limited means, they would save up all year long to afford the food and supplies needed to prepare and serve a big meal for free to everybody. Their hobo friends always knew they could get a meal at Joyce and Duane's place. Joyce loved the hobo family, and especially looked forward to feeding the tramps at Britt every year. She loved children and loved taking care of kids. She always had a smile. She and Duane were good friends with the Boxcar Boys, and over the years the Boys enjoyed many a homecooked meal that she prepared for them.

Joyce is going to be missed by everyone, surely, but Duane is going to miss her most of all. He came in off the rails when he met her, and they have been together for years, partners through good times and bad. Since Duane came down with cancer, Joyce was his caretaker. Things will be difficult now. The past few years we have lost so many old timers. It really brings it home how short life really is.

Duane could sure use the support of the hobo family. Like Tammy said "Cards, condolences and memorials" would help lift his spirits a little during a time of grief. If you ever ate at Joyce's table, take a minute to send him a card or a note.

K-Bar

• Like 1

I could really go for a good freight hop right now. Every time I go out to a layup/yard, i want to leave with the trains. Perhaps next summer i will ride from DC to West Virginia or some other city in the region. Unfortunately my current obligations keep me from leaving for very long.

Good insights Kabar2, really enjoy reading your posts, even the irrelevant ones.

God bless CSX!