Hobos, Tramps and Homeless Bums

KaBar

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
It's beer-thirty. Time to chill.

HPIM0232.jpg

Next morning, back to work.

HPIM0233.jpg

The Collinwood Kid, King of the Dumpster Divers, hard at work.

HPIM0234.jpg

THE NEW EUREKA HILTON, OPEN FOR BUSINESS.

HPIM0238.jpg

Hey D bag!

why aren't we on this right here????

looks fantastic boys

beers all around!

i know this might be a stupid question but i figured you guys would be the best to ask.

ive recently decieded to start doing streaks. but instead of using just meanstreaks, sakuras, or markals, i would like to use color and add some detail. and i looked around in the local art store at some oil based pastels. and i was wondering how well they would up to the elements and survive on metal. if these arent correct id really appreciate being referred to the proper type of tool for this. thanks.

You can just use the Sakura streaks. They have different colors and are worth your money. And I'm not to sure about the oil based pastels, my guess would be that they wouldn't hold up to the elements though. But I hope I'm wrong because you can rack oil based pastels at art stores easily..

25 pages back you said unemployed and on the bum is the best time to ride out.

Thats exactly what i am. Problem is the probation. After a year in the county 3 months

in rehab. 6 months on tether i dont see them doing anything else aside from sending me

upstate. There is nothing else. Probation officer been making noise about me being unemployed

and not paying restitution. If she gives me a 1 more month before violation warning and i cant

locate a job i may just dip out on the first thing smoking. 26.8% unemployment, no license, no

public transpo and the felonies. Not looking too bright in the future department folks

I can't see how your probation officer can violate you if you are out looking for a job. You don't say what part of the country you are from, but there are still jobs available despite this in-the-shitter economy. Just take whatever you can get until you find something better--Burger King, car wash, busing tables at a cafeteria--whatever.

Trainhopping is not all that great a place to be for somebody who is on the run. In order to catch out, you have to deliberately tresspass on railroad property which is patrolled by the bulls, etc. Eventually you will run into a cop somewhere and when he runs you for warrants, you'll be going back to jail. I say "Don't do it."

You aren't going to beat the State forever at this game. You might be able to lay low for a while, but they aren't just going to forget about you if you skip. You'll make yourself into a fugitive. Everywhere you turn they have a trap set--to get a job you have to have a Social Security Card. If the cops run your SS card, they are going to know where you are. If you get a phony SS card, you're committing a felony, which is also a violation of your probation. To buy a car, to register a car, to get insurance for a car--you have to identify yourself. To rent a hotel or motel room, you have to identify yourself. You can do it for a while, but eventually it just gets to be too much. The Weathermen lived "underground" for twenty years, but finally they just turned themselves in and went to prison and got it over with. They couldn't stand living like that any longer. They had kids, they had jobs, they wanted to go back to college. They changed identities so many times they couldn't remember who they were supposed to be.

It seems a hell of a lot easier to me to just accept the situation, go get some kind of job, cut your hair, whatever is necessary to get your P.O. off your back, then complete your probation and then hit the road, with no tether. And for pete's sake don't break the law! You know the deal---just keep your nose clean.

I've been stopped several times by bulls and cops and they just let me go, because it was obvious I wasn't causing anybody any problems. If you look like trouble or cop an attitude with the authorities, you are just asking to get jacked up.

Remember the rules, eh?

Leave no trace.

Do no damage.

Make no disturbance.

Don't shit where you eat.

Keep a clean camp.

Very true, and good advice.

You're going to have to face the music someday.

I am almost two years through Cali's amazing five year felony probation. I have 35 grand to pay in restitution and am also unemployed. You just have to pay what ever little you can to show good faith and effort. 20 bucks here and there. Nickel and fuckin' dime them if you have to. The judges lately have been a bit more lenient with the economy the way it is. It's also nearly impossible to get a job with a felony right now...

It seems a hell of a lot easier to me to just accept the situation, go get some kind of job, cut your hair, whatever is necessary to get your P.O. off your back, then complete your probation and then hit the road, with no tether. And for pete's sake don't break the law! You know the deal---just keep your nose clean.

:D

Anybody ever see the film "Running on Empty" with Judd Hirsch? It's supposed to be about a faction of the Weatherman Underground Organization in the 1980's. A few other good films about the Weathermen and the anti-Vietnam War movement in general, are "Winter Soldier" (1972), "Underground" (1976), "The War at Home" (1979), and "Weather Underground" (2002).

An excellent book about it all.

"The Way the Wind Blew: A History of the Weather Underground" by Ron Jacobs

Trailer for "Weather Underground." (2002)

http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi2432434457/

I know it's ancient history to all you guys, but it's at least worth worth a glimpse.

Aya,

bump to this thread - made me pack my rucksack again n think about starting walking next week cos uk freights are not going to move for long. I was wondering if uv any stories/insights/links (not books cos Im skint) on the IWA or anarchism that relate to freight hopping or hobo life in general?.

cheers

You Ain't Goin' Nowhere/ The Byrds

written by Bob Dylan

Clouds so swift, the rain won't lift

gates won't close, the railing's froze.

So get your mind off wintertime,

'Cause you ain't going nowhere.

ooo-wee ride me high

tomorrow's the day my bride's gonna come

oh-ho are we gonna fly

down in the easy chair

Buy me a flute, and a gun that shoots

tail gates and substitutes

strap yourself to a tree with roots,

'Cause you ain't going nowhere

ooo-wee ride me high

oh-ho are we gonna fly

down in the easy chair

Well I don't care how many letters they sent

The morning came and the morning went

so pick up your money, and pack up your tent

you ain't going nowhere

ooo-wee ride me high

oh-ho are we gonna fly

down in the easy chair

Well, Genghis Khan he could not keep

all his kings supplied with sleep.

We'll climb that hill no matter how steep

when we get up to it

ooo-wee ride me high

oh-ho are we gonna fly

down in the easy chair

ooo-wee ride me high

oh-ho are we gonna fly

down in the easy chair

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9LX_Xa1nds The Byrds "Sweetheart of the Rodeo" 1972

Bob Dylan (nice banjo) 1968

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsA-ZYv0LMw&feature=related Nitty Gritty Dirt Band ,"May the Circle Be Unbroken" Vol.2

to those interested and in the know i just passed through the center for railroad culture a few weeks ago for some fun times and i must say its a pretty amazing land project. they have two different cabooses (a GN and i forget the other), an old wooden boxcar and a reefer from the steam engine era. all in different stages restoration into little cabin like spaces and stages. amazing stuff. they welcome strangers at different times depending on whats happening (shows and events, work parties). check out the site for more info bbcrc.org

also they generally tend to prefer people that arnt complete wasted morons...

as a project like this takes brains, they tend to prefer people that can hang on that level, as an on again off aghain alcoholic i can say they dont discourage drinking at all...just as long as your not a fucktard belligerant dick...like rolling nowhere said a good percentage of people rolling around (though i would say less than was estimated). on a side note can i just say that i love the north west in the summer...

• 2 weeks later...