Hobos, Tramps and Homeless Bums

KaBar

Guest The Texas Madman
My statements are based on my opinions of hundreds of 16-35 year old trainriders I've met. I know plenty of good ones, but most are douchey.

So I guess us 40 - to 60 year old Dead Head, Weed Smoking, Former Heroin using Train Riders are not what you want to use for a reference point too? Still The Railriding Nation has had enough bad press over the last 20 years or so, why not go after the idea of giving another point of view for folks to see. Otherwise Bill Curtis and the A&E Channel, as well as Retired Spokane [spook-a-loo] Police Detective Robert Grandennetti [Granden-Asshole] will; be the only ones people turn to when asking About Freight Train Riders!:D :D

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Are there any other train hopping writers on here?

yessir.

texasmadman... that documentary sounds like a good idea.

i was hitching from nola to houston the other week and one of the rides i got was from a guy in his early 60's who used to ride trains when he was a kid. it was awesome. he was actually surprised that people still did it in 2008.

I'm not exactly following you. What train of thought and ideaology are you refering to?

My statements are based on my opinions of hundreds of 16-35 year old trainriders I've met.

I know plenty of good ones, but most are douchey.

haha. douchey...

there are plenty of dumb kids out there.

met plenty of them in new orleans last month.

one dude was trying to explain to me how normally hes really crusty and dirty and shit but he gave away all his patched up fucked up clothes and got some new stuff. like that somehow mattered. i guess to a lot of those fools it does. if you dont smell like a dead animal youre an oogle..hahah

Guest The Texas Madman
haha. douchey...

there are plenty of dumb kids out there.

met plenty of them in new orleans last month.

I've met plenty of them on boards like this [maybe you're one too], but as far as on-the-road the ones I've met, Jungled with, and traveled with [regardless of their age or body decorations] are less the druggies, and more the down-to-earth Train riders. And as far as the body decorations go.....................JESUS CHRIST FOLKS, I remember when not long ago it was considered of folks that got Tattoos as being in a gang, or becoming a Satan Worshiper, Quit looking at the outside and start looking at the inside!

:D :D :D :D :D :D

I don't care what the general public thinks of train riders. As far as I'm concerned, the less they know the better. The only people's opinions who matter are other trainriders, all the railworkers and the bulls. Just like with graffiti, it's by the writers, for the writers and fuck everyone else. As far as TexasMadman's opinion goes, I'd care if I could decipher his posts.

I've met plenty of them on boards like this [maybe you're one too], but as far as on-the-road the ones I've met, Jungled with, and traveled with [regardless of their age or body decorations] are less the druggies, and more the down-to-earth Train riders. And as far as the body decorations go.....................JESUS CHRIST FOLKS, I remember when not long ago it was considered of folks that got Tattoos as being in a gang, or becoming a Satan Worshiper, Quit looking at the outside and start looking at the inside!

cheers to that friend.

Guest The Texas Madman
I don't care what the general public thinks of train riders. As far as I'm concerned, the less they know the better. The only people's opinions who matter are other trainriders, all the railworkers and the bulls. Just like with graffiti, it's by the writers, for the writers and fuck everyone else. As far as TexasMadman's opinion goes, I'd care if I could decipher his posts.

You're gonna' be a fun one to write to on this board, but if you REALLY FEEL ANIMOSITY TO ME we could meet face to face, Goon-Stick to Goon-Stick. Like say....................THE BIRDCAGE in Denver, or on the south side of Roper Yard?

Arguments---entirely too much work involved. I don't care one way or the other enough to have an opinion concerning 99% of the things about which people argue.

I think there are really very few people out riding freights. If there's more than 1,000 real trainriding hobos out there in America I'd be astounded. There's quite a few part-timers and quite a few usta-be's, but I don't think there is a whole huge community of active 24-7 train riders.

The hobo life itself is extremely hard on one's health. It's like being an infantry soldier for thirty years, sleeping outdoors, "living rough" out in all kinds of weather. Most tramps drink alcohol to excess and most tramps smoke tobacco. Some use various other kinds of drugs. Virtually nobody takes care of their health, eats properly, gets anything close to "regular check-ups at their doctor's office" (LOL), gets plenty of sleep, drinks enough water or avoids stress. The one thing most of them get is plenty of exercise--usually in the form of long humps carrying a ruck.

The old timers are dropping like flies, even the ones who reformed and started taking care of themselves. Pretty soon there won't be anybody left but the Crusties.

You're gonna' be a fun one to write to on this board, but if you REALLY FEEL ANIMOSITY TO ME we could meet face to face, Goon-Stick to Goon-Stick. Like say....................THE BIRDCAGE in Denver, or on the south side of Roper Yard?

Dude, I don't want to fight you just because I can't read what you type. I have things and stuff to do.

Guest The Texas Madman
The old timers are dropping like flies, even the ones who reformed and started taking care of themselves. Pretty soon there won't be anybody left but the Crusties.

Hey - The Crusties, Flintstones, Punk Riders, and Road kids ARE THE HOBO'S OF TODAY! They're being passed the torch to carry from us Oldtimers, so they can blaze THEIR OWN WAY!!!!

hey kabar,

i just found this thread the other week and finally sat down tonight to start at page 1 and read it all..

im only on page 2, but i just wanted to say that theyre very intersting posts..i recently saw this movie called "dark days" about people living in the tunnels at penn station new york..ever seen it?..anyways im wondering if you could recommend any movies, films on hobos, tramps, bums, etc...also recently saw the make of "into the wild" about alex supertramp..but thats about it..

and here i am on this thread!..just reading up..ill ask questions later when i read and finish and see whats already been answered..never met any trainhoppers..but plenty of people living outside, not always homeless.not always bums..but thats about it..makes me wanna pull some kind of journey like that one day, and it also makes you appreciate what you have..

Guest The Texas Madman
very true... ihad to go rack some new pants the other day because i lost weight in the last few months of carrying 50 lbs on my back.

its definitely a workout.

Give it a few months, to a few years, you'll be Lean and Very Fit, keep it up for long and you'll find out you can keep your strength and stamina up on little food, and lot's of desire and action for adventure!

The last time I caught out with Stretch, we stayed out a month and I lost about 25 or 30 pounds, no BS. But civilian life is not conducive to staying lean and fit, and I've gained it all back. We usually only ate one meal a day, and the bizarre thing is, I wasn't hungry. I'm usually starving by 9:00 a.m. but out on the rails, I got kind of used to it.

A few years ago, I found the film "Riding the Rails" at my local library after a conversation with my grandfather about his own experiences as a youth on the move. Earlier this year i was excited when i found this thread. Kabar, on your recommendation i've been reading Duffy Littlejohn's "Hopping..." book while reading this thread at the same time. My routine is the Kabar thread at work when the boss isn't looking, and Littlejohn at night at home. I know you've said that Littlejohn sugarcoats in a lot of areas, so this weekend i picked up "Rolling Nowhere" to balance it out. I actually love "Rolling Nowhere" very much, and i think it accompanies Littlejohn's and your writing very well.

Kabar: Littlejohn talks a lot about walking right up to yard workers and asking for directions, and destinations for trains, and he seems to claim that this is almost 100% successful. This seems hard for me to believe, but maybe it's that i've grown up in the Northeast? Is this generally true, or is it regional, or is it a good example of Littlejohn's glossing-over?

As many have said, I really appreciate the time you've spent over the last few years sharing so much great info and exciting stories.

Stretch and Burl, TexasMadMan, and others, my hat is off to you as well!

my friend called it the hobo diet... funny thing is i eat well. probably eat better than he does most of the time. occasionally there are days where i dont eat much but usually i have plenty of food. i dunno... my bodys wierd i guess.

hey teamencinoman you should read hobo thats another good one. theres another one i found recently called last great american hobo (i think that was the title) pretty good as well. ill read anything about trains or riding trains...

A few years ago, I found the film "Riding the Rails" at my local library after a conversation with my grandfather about his own experiences as a youth on the move. Earlier this year i was excited when i found this thread. Kabar, on your recommendation i've been reading Duffy Littlejohn's "Hopping..." book while reading this thread at the same time. My routine is the Kabar thread at work when the boss isn't looking, and Littlejohn at night at home. I know you've said that Littlejohn sugarcoats in a lot of areas, so this weekend i picked up "Rolling Nowhere" to balance it out. I actually love "Rolling Nowhere" very much, and i think it accompanies Littlejohn's and your writing very well.

Kabar: Littlejohn talks a lot about walking right up to yard workers and asking for directions, and destinations for trains, and he seems to claim that this is almost 100% successful. This seems hard for me to believe, but maybe it's that i've grown up in the Northeast? Is this generally true, or is it regional, or is it a good example of Littlejohn's glossing-over?

As many have said, I really appreciate the time you've spent over the last few years sharing so much great info and exciting stories.

Stretch and Burl, TexasMadMan, and others, my hat is off to you as well!

Most yardworkers don't know much about where the trains are going. If you find a crew member that is cool, he might give you some info if you seem to know what you're doing. Their main concern is not getting in trouble, so if they feel you're going to get caught or hurt they're not going to be very helpful and many will call you in to the bull. Same goes for the punx and the crusties, minus the calling the bull part.

Guest The Texas Madman
Littlejohn talks a lot about walking right up to yard workers and asking for directions, and destinations for trains, and he seems to claim that this is almost 100% successful. This seems hard for me to believe, but maybe it's that i've grown up in the Northeast? Is this generally true, or is it regional, or is it a good example of Littlejohn's glossing-over?

In past years I could use this tactic to find my ride, and, yes, it's true now-a-days it's more of a regional thing. But since 9-11-01 [and all that cause paranoia with terrorism] I don't try unless I'm in a smaller town and can't get my rail info any other way. However I usually ask 4 RR Men for the same info, compare what I'm told, and discard what doesn't line up! the same action as a Private Investigator. Otherwise I will use info gleaned from rail-fan web-sites [YES, the Railroad Foamers] and then adjust my watch to a 24 hour clock [you can do this if you have a digital watch] so that I can realtively calculate myself to what is coming down-the-road according to the schedule from the rail-fan website, also allowing for a 45 minute leeway in train arrivals!

Guest The Texas Madman
Good info, Madman... that's what i had figured. it's a different world than when Littlejohn wrote his book, and I think the kid in Rolling Nowhere is travelling in the early 80's, so things have changed.

Remember that Duffy writes his book with a flair as to engage his readers, and be so pleasant so he can sell alot of books. My problem with this is that alot of what he explained in the first book he wrote caused many youngsters to try to jump and train and ended in their getting injured from the experience. As an older hobo once told me [he was 63 when I was 21] IF YOU EXPLAIN THINGS TO FOLKS DON'T SUGAR COAT THE INFORMATION - MAKE SURE FOLKS KNOW THE REALITIES AND THE FULL CONSEQUENCES! :D ;) :D ;)

Good info, Madman... that's what i had figured. it's a different world than when Littlejohn wrote his book, and I think the kid in Rolling Nowhere is travelling in the early 80's, so things have changed.

Rolling- Is the book called "Hobo" ? Let me know and i'll check it out.

http://www.amazon.com/One-More-Train-Ride-Underground/dp/0253216524/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206511237&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/Hobo-Eddy-Joe-Cotton/dp/1400048095/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206511237&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Last-Great-American-Hobo/dp/1559582995

there you go. those are all pretty good. i found the last 2 at the library i had to order the first one. definitely worth it

RN- Thanks! I actually have One More Train To Ride, and i like it. Good profiles & it's cool because you can open up to almost any page and start reading. I really enjoyed the profile on Shortstop. I will definitly check out the other two.

Does anyone know of the film Catching Out?? i just learned of it and i'm not sure if it can still be ordered...i'm going to e-mail the filmmaker today to find out. If anyone's seen it, i'd love to know what you think of it.