Hobos, Tramps and Homeless Bums

KaBar

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I've been building a "hooch" in my back yard, LOL. It's actally a garden shed for my wife, and I added a doghouse. I worked construction back in the 1970's some, and built a few houses and some apartments. I was just part of the crew---a nail driver and a lumber toter. With this project, I have to figure everything out by myself, and do all the work myself. It has taken a lot longer than I ever suspected it would.

The "doghouse" is an "L-shaped" addition onto the main shed. The main shed is 12X12. The doghouse is about 6x12. It has a "beach house" foundation (pressure-treated 8" poles) but instead of being 12 feet off the ground (like a beach house would be) the deck is only 18 inches off the ground. I cut the 8' poles into thirds, about 2-1/2' long, and sunk them halfway into the ground, then backfilled with concrete. I set nine poles initially, three rows of three. It's very important that the poles be nearly perfectly aligned, because the next step was notching the top of the poles to fit a couple of 2x6s twelve feet long that are bolted through the pole with a 1/2" x 6" carriage bolt. This created three parallel "beams". On top of the beams, I nailed on 12' long 2x4 joists (This was mistake #1--I should have gone ahead and used 2x6's or 2x8's) I spaced them 10" apart. (This was mistake #2. All beams, joists, rafters, etc. ought to be spaced either 16 inches apart or 24 inches apart, so that the "break" between sheets of the plywood with which you cover them break right on a joist.) I wasted some plywood because I had to cut pieces to fit my mistake and to allow the sheets of plywood to break in the right spot. (Dumbass. I knew better. I airheadedly forgot that and as trying to space the 2x4 joists closer together for strength.)

I built the doghouse as an addition onto the main 12x12 deck. From above, it looks like an "L". Same system---beach house foundation, etc. Decked it with 4x8 sheets of 3/4" OSB. Since the weather was kind of screwing things up, I painted the deck with three coats of gray deck paint to keep the OSB from deteriorating from the sun, etc..

Then I framed up walls using standard ladder construction, just like I learned back in the 1970's. When you build a hooch from pallets, you don't need to worry so much about this, because the pallets themselves become the walls. I cut rafters for the roof out of 2x4 studs eight feet long. I could get two rafters per stud for the dog house. I'm going to need a stud for each rafter for the main shed, because the span is 12 feet. The two studs will give me around 14 or 15 foot, when I take into account the slope of the roof. I'm decking the roof with the same 1/2" OSB with which I decked the floor.

And it's like 102 degrees outside. Son of a bitch it's hot.

Stretch is up in Britt, Iowa right now, I talked to him on his cell a minute ago. He's up there getting ready for the National Hobo Convention. His current riding partner, Oops, is trying to rendezvous withhim in Britt, but he's stuck somewhere in Wisconsin, I think.

So. I gotta go repair my Skilsaw. Part of the plastic case broke, but it's nothing I can't fix with a little epoxy and some duct tape. Ride safe, boys.

yeah i actually just watched the ending part yesterday.

id say they all deserve each other.

im a dirty jerk and i love trains and whiskey but god damn im glad i am not them/

you're a fucking cuddle monster you greasy fuck.

come down here already I got an ac unit and a tv/vcr!

big money bums!:$: :$: :$:

you muthafuckas is all bums. no ambition. no insight. ALL bullshit.

im gonna set bear traps an shit under leaves of hobo camps i find. fuck you muthafuckas up somethin good. then steal your wack ass pots and pans. then take a shit in right smack dab in the middle of the camp.

then check back here a few months later, and see you all bitchin' about it. and kabar calling out about how much an asshole i am.

Here's a little insight for ya. "Starved for attention." Negative attention is better than being ignored, eh, radiologist? Poor baby, come here and let Unca KaBar give you a hug. I promise I won't neglect you like Mommy and Daddy. I'll teach you how to be the best hobo you can be. Okay? Don't cry, a'right? Everything is gonna be okay. Now, go get Unca KaBar a six-pack of Busch from the beer store.

Geez the end was just a complete drunk beat ass fest.

that's the only part i saw up until now

someone i know sent it to me earlier today actually

that faggot throws the puppy into/near the fire like it's no big deal

if i ever crossed paths with that shit stain best believe i'd beat him to death bare handed and leave him on the tracks

I finally got around to watching the video of those Church of Elvis idiots. I almost feel like these guys read this thread and then set out to do every single thing I said not to do, just to prove that one can act like a completely irresponsible asshole and still survive without getting killed.

This is the type of behavior that laws punishing trainhopping were written to stop. These fucking idiots deserve every bad thing that is going to happen to them in their boozed-up, incoherent, commode-hugging drunken existance. Just the puppy-in-the-fire episode alone makes me want to beat them all to mush with a crowbar. Fucking idiots.

For chrissake, do not imitate these turds.

you muthafuckas is all bums. no ambition. no insight. ALL bullshit.

im gonna set bear traps an shit under leaves of hobo camps i find. fuck you muthafuckas up somethin good. then steal your wack ass pots and pans. then take a shit in right smack dab in the middle of the camp.

then check back here a few months later, and see you all bitchin' about it. and kabar calling out about how much an asshole i am.

you have no knowledge of anything. me being into trains/graffiti/ and adventure, people like kabar2 are the pioneers of this stuff, a life style more underground than your ''hiphop'' little world. you dont see this shit in magazines... or dvd's or even the internet, so to have kabar2 come on here and share his stories is too much of a treat, id pay to lissen to this stuff...i hope a mod bans you from this site.

Just checkin' in to say howdy. I will be up at Britt this year for sure. Already got tickets on Greyhound to Mason City, Iowa. I guess I'll hitch to Britt from there. I ought to be there on August 2nd.

If you can make it, come on up to Britt. It will be a lot of fun.

Well, that's cool and all but this thread isn't necessarily about what bums you see jagging off or taking a shit, it's about the stories that Kabar tells and the stuff you will learn from him. Maybe you should read the first pages and you might show more respect towards this thread..

just how realistic is it to hop trains across country?

It's as realistic as any 1-2 week long backpacking trip where you're packing everything you need to survive, plus ducking 3 different sets of popo the entire time (local to railroad to federal), while risking serious injury or death from the elements, or your transport.

Youtube "Wedding Train" videos for prime examples of how not to do it. Read the posts by Kabar and the other experienced hobos and tramps in this thread for direction on how to do it well.

There are a lot of amazing stories and information scattered in this thread. It's as well worth reading front to back as anything on this site, in my opinion.

--"Cloud Cover" (who also thinks Kabar should publish a book)

i know this might be a stupid question but i figured you guys would be the best to ask.

ive recently decieded to start doing streaks. but instead of using just meanstreaks, sakuras, or markals, i would like to use color and add some detail. and i looked around in the local art store at some oil based pastels. and i was wondering how well they would up to the elements and survive on metal. if these arent correct id really appreciate being referred to the proper type of tool for this. thanks.