MSK FLICKS

dr. frink one

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 21.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cant take anything from Revok, I feel like the man's legacy and art speaks for itself, and I definitely give props where theyre due. But it's hilarious when people on this site see stuff, give credit but don't realize where its origin came from. And just assume the writers they look up to must have invented it all. For instance, the "sideways blur" breaking thru or from the outline specifically goes back way to Imok/Df GAZE in the early 90's. With Revok being on the left coast, I'm not even sure if Gaze's work is even on his radar but it's pretty common knowledge to anyone from the east coast in the 90's that Gaze was doin some pretty ground breaking shit at the time, from open outlines where the fill just blending into the background, to spraying paint into a cap and just throwing it on some Jackson Pollock shit. He was really pushing the limits back then and touching on stuff that is only being appreciated today by a lot of people who may or may not know it's origins. Im sure Rime knows about Gaze and some of the things he was doing back then from comin up with Nace who was directly linked to those crews in the 90's. I'd post the flick of the Gaze but I doubt anyone cares enough in here, if curious, one of the many Gaze did wth that side blur is posted on page 48 of the DF thread, and I believe a few on the pages before that.

Anyways, just trying to shed some light to the youth. lol carry on fellas.

Im just Glad to to See Revok doing some fresh stuff, and im not really sold that his blur resembles what gaze was doing that much. Im sure he knows the history of gaze its hard not to know what gaze was doing back then as far as pushing boundaries. Alot of those things you mentioned also where being done at the same time by Joker Transcend and Poesia out in the west coast so just saying gaze invented something isnt always the truth. Im sure someone did it even before them, thats the nature of things. Sometimes it happens that similar ideas are popping off and they weren't directly influenced by each other, but on accident, your ego can tell you there biting but we all stumble upon ideas randomly sometimes someone across the country or world does it at the same time. There are plenty of old techniques and styles coming back from that period and i think its a natural recycling. Whats dope is that the guys doing new shit today are doing it justice and flipping it in a way that is original. I know your not calling dude out and just want the younger cats to know that there is history out there, but shit really 99.9 of what people paint has been done before in some manner weather it was by a legend like gaze or some random guy no one knows about in Germany that painted for 3 years and quit. Its the nature of the game being original to me is just one aspect as long as your not biting and this is in know way a bite. So kids everything has been done before so go do your history about every technique and then you will have .01% to create something new. Or you can just use common sense and not bite shit cause we are paying attention.

werd, Im somewhat familar with Joker and the Transend stuff. But like I said, me being from the East he wasnt much on my radar so it's something to be said there for sure. This is a tough area for such a young artform. Because what you say is true, sometimes similar things happen around the same time with no actual relation to each other. No one is out there really recording the actual day things happen cuz in the moment its just another idea, sometimes they unfold clearer and later on the scene in that area adapts it, or makes it a common understanding of where it came from. Then just like this, decades later you mentioned Joker. I sorta have to take your word for it because I know they where also thinking outside the box in the 90's but to my knowledge their's ( transcend) was all blends and shapes, no real letters at all with it, Ive never seen an example of them doing this connected to outlines and forcefields and fills etc. Again, my history of Transcend and Joker's work isnt that thorough to say otherwise. Anyways, it's late, Im in that philosophical mood about graff again. lol

Archived