bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

My bike is waaaayyy better then any of your bikes. Paid 3 g's for it.

cov20050304btexpopeewee.jpg

Just kidding. I got a homie who is really into this bike business stuff here in this thread. I totally respect it. He is hella fit and bitches about me driving a car. He is hardcore. I think last year he started race in the neighboring town.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
joker what is your normal max HR? like on average?

i was at 186 yesterday and felt like i could go more but my legs gave out.

On the steeper climbs, that I did not walk up, my HR maxed out around 174... that was the max reading I had after the ride. I rarely let up on the downhills so my HR never really went below 150. I don't remember what my average was. I know most climbs I was in the 165 range though. And by the end I was a little lower due to riding up the last couple hills at a snails pace. My max HR is 174 and I think my LT is 192... I think. It's been almost three years since I had my LT tested. I never really pushed very hard up any of the hills because I knew around the corner was another one, and another one, and another one. So I tried to ride tempo and just pay attention to how I was feeling. Actually, I did push it on one steady hill that was about three miles long but it was only a 4% grade. And that had my HR in the low 170's. What sucked was at the top of the hill was a right turn to go up a 11% grade for two miles. Should've known...

Im late on the hill conversation, but uh... what the hell is wrong with you people?!?! HILLS= LIFE. FLATS = DONG.

20% is serious business. SEVERAL 20% = life sucks so hard. Steepest climb I've ever done was an alleycat in the city. We all started out near fillmore just staring at that hill thinking im gonna punch someone if they start us out by going up it, and sure enough that's what happened. Most people rode a few streets over and took the longer way but I and two other dudes did the fucking 25% grade fixed. Then we had to get back down it, tired, fixed, and brakeless.

I did an alleycat in 2000 my friend made up, called the Mountain Lion. It went up all the main hills in SF.

I did it on a crit bike. My smallest gear was a 42/18. It was hell. Twenty five miles in less than three hours.

I think I came in 17th out of fifty finishers...and about 75 people started the race. Probably the scariest part of the race was when I was bombing Corbett in Glen Park in the dark with no lights and two guys on track bikes on either side of me...we hit the speed bumps going at least 40 mph and managed not to crash by taking our hands off of the bars and just gliding over them somehow.

I still can't understand how I used to do shit like that and not get killed.

Im late on the hill conversation, but uh... what the hell is wrong with you people?!?! HILLS= LIFE. FLATS = DONG.

20% is serious business. SEVERAL 20% = life sucks so hard. Steepest climb I've ever done was an alleycat in the city. We all started out near fillmore just staring at that hill thinking im gonna punch someone if they start us out by going up it, and sure enough that's what happened. Most people rode a few streets over and took the longer way but I and two other dudes did the fucking 25% grade fixed. Then we had to get back down it, tired, fixed, and brakeless.

Word. Yesterday's alleycat had a climb like that, we ended up riding on dirt grass and gravel uphill, not sure of the grade, it was tough though. The ride on the way down after the checkpoint was shit for me and a breeze for my riding buddy because he had single speed and I was doing brakeless, so I was sprinting my ass off once I got to the flats to catch back up... oh, and the hill went in sections on the way down and there was stop signs at the bottom of every section, that's always fun :D

But yeah. Living in a relatively flat town where hills are far and few between, and road rides are flat as hell makes you into a hill pussy. I'm gonna keep at this 10% grade climb and just see how many repeats I can do up and down it, it's getting a bit easier every time and I'm going 73 gear inches up it.

i drag my fat ass up hills as much as possible. cycling has given me body image problems.

6'1" 180lbs down to 165-170 fit weight and i trudge up those motherfuckers at like 186bpm. ive broken 200 but i think my hr monitor was freaking or something. it was like 212 if i remember correctly.

Haha I think shai can be my witness.

He's thinner than I am. (CAVEAT- I'm about 40 pounds overweight.)

Soup looks like your average roadie, to me.

In other news- what should I expect to pay for a 9 speed Campy Chorus cassette? Mine's on its last legs.

can't say for shimano's road stuff, but you actually pay for better stuff beyond just weight as you go from LX-XT-XTR.

then a couple years later the XTR technology drops down to XT, then a couple more years and its in LX...

jensonusa.com is a good page for blowout shit like that too.

I'm 5' 8" 140 lbs ...

Yeah, see... I'm 5'9" 160 so you can see why I don't enjoy a climb as much as the skinny fellas. Although, I don't hate climbing at all... I just don't enjoy them during a race. I can tempo up a climb and do that for miles but put me in a race where I have to try and stay with the 18 year old kid who's 40lbs lighter than me, and I'm off the back lickity-split. I've learned that teens have no pain threshold. It's like their body doesn't know when to stop and go to the back of the group and recover. It kinda makes me angry that I wasted my teen years getting fucked up on anything in front of me and dodging sleep. It's no wonder people think I'm retarded.

forgive my ignorance, but could someone explain what is generally meant by "spinning" and "intervals." I would be down to drop a few pounds.

I'm just shy of 6 foot and 180 last time i checked.

Quiting smoking would also probably help the climbs that are the main part of my commute.

I would argue to do some mashing for a month or so first and then do spinning. Same as with the gym; build your muscles first and then make them work with aerobics/circuits/etc. The bigger the muscle mass is the more energy (fat) you will burn when using them. A bit more resistance work first can sometimes strengthen joints etc and guard against injury. I've only been told that second part, not sure if it's completely true.