bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

yea track bikes might be trendy. But for any one living in the concrete jungle, who paints or does crime on a bike, track or "fixed-gear" bikes can be very practical. They are light, they haul ass, they are simple and basically maintenance free. As long as your doing short distance they seem the way to go.

$500 isn't going to get you much as far as a new road bike, best bet would be get lucky on craigslist/the used market, but you have to have an eye for what's good and know what components are good vs. what is shit or you'll probably pay too much.

I'm still dreaming of finding that perfect 80's japanese steel road bike with the Suntour group, $100 OBO on CL.

i got a 80s centurian with suntour group for 100 bucks. love the thing

pistas arent worth the money. older pistas worked on are damn nice but the new ones are crap. its funny that they sell more than any other track bike. the comps are shit, they just look really cool. I ride a mercier kilo tt, which is almost the same thing except cheaper. dura ace crank set, custom built bottom bracket, thompson seatpost, chris king headset, with everything else factory.

i started riding fixies because I thought they were cool, and so what. they are mad fun but sometimes the hills are killin. bad fer yer knees too.

Standing up the whole time up 60 miles of steep ass shit, then trying to ride home at any sort of speed without your legs having massive muscle spasms that redefine what pain is, that, is the best part of road cycling. Actually that granola bar you eat after the first 45 miles is best part of road cycling.

visited cambridge bicycles over the weekend and im convinced after laying eyes on the Swobo its the only way to go when speaking about track/single speed/fixed whatever the fuck you want to call it. Also the KHS Elite was looking pretty nice as well.

visited cambridge bicycles over the weekend and im convinced after laying eyes on the Swobo its the only way to go when speaking about track/single speed/fixed whatever the fuck you want to call it. Also the KHS Elite was looking pretty nice as well.

umm, track bikes are a pretty broad category. you have your classic handmade steel with spoked wheels, your modern aluminum frames with discs / trispokes, and everything in between. i wouldn't generalize it so easily. as far as off-the-shelf "street" catered fixies... fuck that cookie cutter shit, build up your own setup.

joker, watching the tour was pretty good today.

some people want a $550 cookie cutter off-the-shelf get me to the bar bike.

some people want a $7000 cookie cutter off-the-shelf friday night club ride bike.

some people are bored with that and want to find a frame and build it as they see fit.

still others, who may be included amongst the above, have been riding for ages and

know precisely what they like and what they dont like, and that is a-ok too.

i got my wheels back. campy hi-flange to stainless open pros.

tried putting a six speed FW on the five speed hub without much luck.

so my american steel frame with italian dressing is running a $15 shimano five speed.

my bike may run me in front of a bus as payment for such heresy.

period correct (no ramps/pins) five speed on the way via ebay.

Geomat... That looks like a perfect ride for the missus. And probably at a good price too.

Seriously, watching Contador attack seven times on Rasmussen was incredible especially because of the gradient and because it was the final climb of the day... you know they were both already tired. And Rasmussen's ability to counter each attack was even more impressive. That guy has definitely improved over previous Tours. He should be thanking Contador for helping him put time into Evans and Leipheimer for that cushion he'll need for the TT just before the last day. And I bet Ras is thanking his lucky stars that he has a day to rest before the last day in the mountains, because you know Wednesday is going to be a fireworks display on the road. It's gonna be good watching!

Doing a charity ride this weekend for the team. Get to ride all the way up to Timberline Lodge (the hotel in the movie The Shining for those of you who don't know) and then freeze my ass off coming back down. From there it's a roller coaster ride all the way to the little town of Hood River. 110 miles total. Did it last year and it was a really fun and very well supported ride. Wish I knew a quick way to lose ten pounds...