bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
I used to love cruising around on my bike when i was younger, thinking about getting one for general transportation and trips to the store hopefully someone leaves there garage unlocked around here soon.haha.

whats up with this thread and bike thieves lately?

p.s. whoiseuth what kind of frame are you considering buying in the upcoming future anyway? i'm gonna go out and take a guess that it'll be something italian.

i have dudes coming up to me constantly trying to sell me some dope fucking bikes for about 50 or so. i never do it because 1 - i dont support stealing from individuals and 2 - im going to get on that shit, go around the block and get jumped by a bunch of fixed gear nerds because its their friends bike.

i took the dive. 1971 schwinn le tour 3. all original everything, including tires. nice orange colored bike.

the dude said im going to have to register it otherwise i will get ticketed. was that a joke or do some counties/cities actually require this?

post pics.

i had a schwinn le tour, early 80's i think it was. i sold it to a friend, but it wasn't a bad bike after i gutted the deraileur and back brake, and turned it into a single speed. lightened up the load a little bit. before that, shifting gears was a joke and the thing hadn't seen a mechanic stand in years. it could still use a new bottom bracket and hub overhaul, but my friend is poor.

yeah they lubed the shit out of it but i can tell from the ride home that i'm going to need to fix/get new gears. i dont even know what a deraileur is.

hmm, may want to learn all the names of the parts on your bikes so you can diagnose problems / don't appear completely helpless when you take it to the shop. the deraileurs help switch gears.

derailleur.jpg

there's a pic of the back derailleur.

this is half the reason i went ss/fixed in the first place. i hate old school derailleurs on vintage bikes (even though i like vintage frames) because they are usually trashed in my experience when someone's selling you one off craigslist and i don't want to go through the trouble of replacing them, and i can't afford to get a super nice road bike either. besides, new school kids like me are used to indexed shifting, because awkwardly reaching for a gear lever on the downtube in traffic isn't that fun. after awhile i realized i use maybe 2 or 3 gears while riding a bike, and if the weight was lighter, i wouldn't use any of them.

enjoy your road bike though, i'm going off on some silly tangent because i'm a fixed gear nerd i guess.

i like the idea of it, because i never enjoyed gears... possibly when i get used to riding again i'll be able to figure out what i want to do, but im not comfortable changing to fixed yet, if ever. and i definately am going to read up on all the parts, i dont have to worry too much though, one of my room mates is a bike nerd.

i dont know much about bikes but im going to be moving to a new city within the next few months and am going to be leaving my car behind. ill be in the northeast so im looking for something that can be used year round. i was thinking of getting a mountain bike but then someone was telling me about these 'hybrid bikes'. so far ive found two that seem like they are what im looking for. gary fisher artemis and trek su200. im trying to spend no more than $500. i know most of you are more into road bikes but if anyone has any suggestions id appreciate it. thanks.

artemis.jpg

su200_navy.jpg

i really like that concept too rubbish.

people are doing some nice things with them.

though it is already cliche to powdercoat it white and rock risers.

plus the whole aerospoke craze.

whatevers clever.

the 07s are white outta the box.

eh, i don't care if risers are cliche where you're from, they are the most fun i've had on my track bike so far. skids come like nothing, wheelies, extremely fast handling, decent grip for when i'm standing and pedaling, leverage for bunny hops... i feel like a kid again. not sure when i'll be putting track drops back on.

i don't get aerospokes though, knock them out of true once and they're trashed for life.

to each his own. a couple friends chopped down their bars to the point where the only position was right next to the stem, i told them they were dumb, low and behold a week later they ditched it and bought new drops.

but i think a variety of bars is the best way to go. eventually i'll be tired of these risers and try out some flats or bullhorns, i'm sure of it. and after that it'll probably be back to the track drops, or some other eccentric bar, in a never ending cycle.

wouldn't mind some road pedals either but i'll be damned if i lose out on cornering clearance with my tastes for 170mm crank arms and bikes that turn through corners.

carry on.

Also, does anyone know how much of a pain in the ass it is to SOURCE THE FUCKING FORK off a pista concept? Theres no aftermarket fork with a 28mm rake. If you alleycat with one, dont snap the fork because youll be like me and call up bianchi to hear no dice. HOW THE FUCK DOES BIANCHI NOT HAVE THEIR OWN FORK, I ASK YOU?!

what else would you rather have than that concept, soup?

i think the fact that they aren't steel is enough to keep me at bay anyways, and they are kinda fugly...

keirin frames are a pleasure to ride, but so was my raleigh road conversion even though it's half as stiff, way heavier and sitting in my basement without a back wheel...

first day ride report (sort of parody of jokers whatchamacallits)

driving it home wasnt as comfortable as expected. i forgot to get the guys to make sure the tire pressure was correct so everytime i started up again (riding through the city during traffic) the front tire would flatten out which held me up a little, atleast that's how i felt. got home filled my tires up. fucked up twice and couldnt pull the pump off in time on the front tire. waited acouple hours.. had to take care of some paper work and such.

after paperwork room mate and boyfriend wanted to go for a ride, but i wanted to leave before them so i headed out the gate. they called me about 30 minutes after i left, luckily i was pretty close so we hooked up and all went to another persons house to have them join our bike for beer gang. we rode to a bar downtown, i had acouple beers. and decided to go home due to work. i tried racing cars on the main street of downtown... it worked for several blocks, then i got tired.

the worst thing about tonight was realizing i was only a block away from home and i would have to go to sleep at some point instead of riding all night. i forgot how fucking beautiful riding a bike is.

that GT scheme is also very nice.

the concept is on my mind because i already have a

relationship with a bianchi dealer, plus the lady offered to buy it.

and also because they are relatively inexpensive.

for instance the frameset costs less than a bareknuckle.

though, yes, the aluminum does put me off a bit.

in time.