bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Hey i should ask you guys since there seems to be more than one of you guys in Portland, if you live in the bay and had a shitton of flyer miles from work would you pack your bike up and take a weekend in portland or somewhere else? I just found out today I could seriously take a free flight to just about anywhere southwest goes domestically.

yeah, i'd do it. portland, seattle and vancouver (bc) are all great cities, similar and different in their own ways. well personally maybe i'd go to seattle because it's that sort of "the grass is always greener on the other side" type thing, but living in portland i'd also go to the bay in a heartbeat if it was free too, i love the bay.

It really depends on what you want to do, other than ride your bike. I like Seattle but I love Portland. I've had three job offers in Seattle, offering up to twice what I make here in Portland, but I refuse to live there. Fun place to visit, but that's about it. Vancouver is pretty damn cool and has plenty to offer... plenty! And that's my opinion so take it for what it's worth. I moved to Portland from the Bay area and hated it for about six months... the rainy season. Once the weather heated up and sun came out my attitude changed and it's been a love affair ever since. It's an amazing place for cycling, eating, drinking, strippers, art, shopping and just about whatever else you fancy. Not as big as Seattle or San Francisco but that's one of the reasons I like it.

That said... if you decide to come up to either Seattle or Portland, be prepared to raide in the wet. It's supposed to be nice this weekend but the weather report could be completely different tomorrow. In Oregon... you just never know till you look outside.

just threw some riser bars on my track bike today. while in the eyes of hardcore trackies / roadies this is probably a blasphemous move, i don't really give a fuck, let them conform to their stupid idealism. the feeling of riding these is like being a little kid again, pure ecstacy. it's crazy how one little substitution can make you feel like you're riding a different bike. also i think i subtracted a lil more than half a pound from switching from steel track drops to aluminum risers. fun fast agile and responsive.

now who wants to race inner city style :)

p.s. soup, it's really sunny and the weather man is full of shit, come to PDX.

Hah everyone runs risers down here. Partly because you can do wheelie spins, and partly because everyone else runs risers.

I dont wanna roll out to portland just yet. Im thinkin Spring break. Yeah its supposed to be thunderstorms by tuesday down here.

As for today tho it was hot as hell riding up Mt Diablo. Un-fuckin-believably hot, only a tree every mile or so for shade, and one time the wind blew, which was nice. I went in lycra shorts, regular shorts over that, a teeshirt and a stupid yellow cycling cap. You dont get the looks from the guys in cars, who if you wear the bike gear will congradulate you and speak openly of how they admire you. Instead you get smiles and nods from the men and women who ride mt diablo weekly. It was fun passing the weekend warrior crowd rockin their discovery jerseys and two grand bikes with casual wear, a $600 bike and a backrack. The descent was a fuckin blast too. They tell you to watch your speed over 15 mph because cops will and have ticketed speeders but at one point I had my shoulders pinned to the handlebars going 47 on a cliffs edge thinking I couldnt imagine a better way to enjoy spring.

Thats not why i posted tho. I wanted to share this. http://allanti.com/page.cfm?PageID=328 Where did your bike come from?

ive been looking into getting a road bike for excersize purposes. there's a guy selling an 80's peugot for 300 around the way.

238652747.jpg

im not planning on doing more than taking it to work mornings/home from work nights and recreational riding around the city throughout the day. would this be a good purchase?

Race Report :

66 miles on a 11 mile loop - rolling hills with one small section of flat - Race three of three :

I was a bit hesitant going into this race after the last two in the series. I figured the course is rolling and I'm not in condition to keep pace for 66 miles of rolling hills... all with surges and attacks and counter attacks. However, I bit the bullet, geared up and went out. The pace was fine for the first two laps. There was defiintely some attacking going on but nothing was getting far. With this being the last race in the series and money, as well as upgrade points, on the line... folks were on fire and keeping an eye out for everything. This also meant that teams were represented. Several teams with five or more guys made for an interesting race. I did my best to ride a smart race. I went to the front several times but never to the very front. I didn't want to burn myself out... again. With less than two laps to go a group of about five guys went off the front and made a sizable gap... about 40 seconds. Not much later about three other guys bridged to the break. Two of the guys in the break have series points and this made a few of the teams in the main group frantic. There were surges after surges but for at least a lap or so the gap wasn't coming down hardly at all. Then oddly enough, after several failed attacks to bridge up the break... the gap was indeed coming down. On the last lap a team mate took a flyer to tray and bridge up to the break. When I saw him go I went to the front of the main field and just rode steady but not hard enough to bring him back. This worked for a bit but eventually the group could see the break in front of my team mate so his solo effort was shut down. I couldn't really tell but I think we were picking up guys who were dropping back into the field from the break. The break just looked smaller and smaller as we got closer to the finish. About two kilometers from the finish is the toughest hill in the loop. This is where the strong boys made a go of it and broke the field into pieces. I guess I was feeling a wee bit strong because I crested the hill in about seventh position with one other team mate by my side, but we were both quickly passed up by a furious bunch of guys. The pace went from hard to blistering on it's way to the finish. There's a fast descent with a small "table top" hill just before the line so the main field was strung out single file. As we came to the "table top" hill the group spread out all over the road and for some strange reason... even though we were all sprinting... they seemed to slow down. I found a hole and gunned it past a bunch of guys to finish the race in 16th place. At first I was dissapointed it wasn't top ten but then I quickly reflected on my race season so far, and immediately felt much better about my 16th. One team mate got fourth (the one who took the flyer earlier) so it made for a good day.

Next week there is no racing... going to get some long steady rides in and work on some intervals. The season is in full swing now so I got to keep working on my fitness.

Anyone else raced yet?

if you are actually replacing the tires rather than simply changing a flat,

you probably want to mention to the shop guy that it is a schwinn, if it is an old one.

chicago schwinn 27" wheels are not truly 27 inches and regular 27" tires wont fit.

likewise with 26" wheels/tires.

question: is it worth putting about $300 into my 2005 pista to convert it to a threaded front end?

there is another track frame in my future, knock on wood, but i dont want to neglect the pista.

hmm, impulses.

edit - currently she looks like this...

peace-tah.jpg

the threaded front end would tighten up the front wheel but i would hafta sacrifice the alter.

question: is it worth putting about $300 into my 2005 pista to convert it to a threaded front end?

there is another track frame in my future, knock on wood, but i dont want to neglect the pista.

hmm, impulses.

the threaded front end would tighten up the front wheel but i would hafta sacrifice the alter.

I personally wouldn't do this...

You figure the Pista runs 550$ so investing 300$ you really had better be getting a lot better performance or you're wasting money in my opinion. I can't tell by the picture, but if its the same as mine then you have the Sugino RD crank and BB which is pure crap. If I was gonna throw 300 into mine i'd buy a nicer BB and crankset. Then again you could always put 300 towards a really slick new bike...

hmm, impulses.

peace-tah.jpg

why not just ditch the silly unicrown fork and throw in a lugged one for way cheaper? http://www.nycbikes.com/item.php?item_id=627 lugged reynolds 531 raleigh fork. you could spend the rest of the 300 on a nice stem and headset.