bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Hah! Thats the fork those sneaky bianchi fuckheads. http://www.4za.info/ENG/forcelle.htm . A friend of mine at a local shop called Cyclepath (http://www.cyclepath.com/) was trying to source a fork and rim for me. If i can get it cost ill rebuild the damn thing. If not its worth more just to part it.

What Placement, 2 and a half months too short for you??

Benefit? Well theyre beefy and punishable for composite wheels that weigh over five pounds, but other than that? None whatsoever. Students at MIT say you make more of a difference in aerodynamics by not wearing gloves than with an aero wheel. It seems, from my limited experience, you can buy yourself a $15k time trial bike and unless youre on a closed course timed by tenths of a second, you wont be riding any faster. I just went on a 60 mile ride today over some serious fuckin hills including Mt Diablo and there was a dude riding a Cervelo P3 on back country, aerobars and all and i passed him up with only enough time to say *awesome bike* before flying past him up hill, and the dude was ripped. Its the latest in bike fashion like risers in the ninties were hot for being *boston style.*

The benefit is that if you have a steelframe bike with columbus steel blade forks, a front aerowheel looks sick.

Rubbish... unless you're competitive and serious about racing, any aero wheel is stricly fashion.

Hesh... I've been running the same HRM for a year now and it's the best one I've ever had. All wireless. Nothing like knowing how hard you're really working, or not working.

I don't know, I think aerospokes look kind of ugly myself. White HED's are mildly aesthetically pleasing on the right bike, but more often than not look silly (unless you're going 20mph down the street, than they look okay).

Risers atleast have a functional purpose, which is giving you more leverage in your handling and a slightly more upright position, depending on if you change the stem position or not also.

Does anyone else suffer from some weird bike syndrome where you constantly want to put in more money and improve things on your ride that don't even need improving? Like just the other day I was entertaining the thought of getting a Chris King headset when I realized, there's absolutely nothing wrong with my current one and summer is coming anyway... I need to put more money in the bank so things like this aren't tempting.

I'll bet the roadies suffer way worse from whatever syndrome this is with all the techy carbon fiber parts everywhere, in which case it's very easy to pay a dollar per gram saved over existing equipment...

no see i dont suffer because fashion does not enter my mind when dealing w/ bikes. like teah you want your shit to not look janky but copping shit to have the best shit = poser. trust

very understandable if not a bit defensive hesh, but tell me this - how does having a headset that will outlast the life of your bike and never need overhauling equate to fashion? if anything, chris kings look kind of obnoxious with the big KING logo as opposed to nice low-key aesthetics of traditional, more nonchalant headsets.

yeah i wasnt calling YOU a poser per say but you saw my point. that said, you just made a good argument for the king headset. go get it.

ps:

i hate chris charmichael right now. started an interval program of his today to break in the new HR monitor and holy shit, im fucked. walking up my stairs was real.

Road riders have it hard when it comes to hardware. That set of deep dish carbon wheels will help you but not always and not in every race. So they're worth the money but at the same time, especially at the level I'm in... how do you justify the costs. Fortunately for me, and probably Swedish too, I get most of my hardware at wholesale if not cheaper due to sponsors and co-sponsors. So that's my justification. I don't really need such items but at such a discounted price... why not. At least I'm using this stuff for more than just floating down the road to the coolest corner bar or newest hang out to drink PBR all night.

Switching out components that don't really need switching out... hmmm, that's a difficult one to answer. I think you justify your Chris King headset by your reasons stated above. It's like when I really wanted the new Fizik Arione saddle but wasn't sure it was needed. When I talked to a few guys who own them and the guy who does my bike fittings, I realized that beside the comfort level... the saddle offers way more setting options than most saddles due to it's long rails. Having a reason other than aesthetics is always good.

That said, aesthetics plays an important role in our bikes. I think we can all agree on that. Your bike has to look good as well as ride good. But performance parts on a fixed gear bike for the sake of fashionable aesthetics just seems silly to me. Like I said, the bikes look cool but at the same time over the top. And really, there's nothing wrong with that... because it comes down to opinion.

It just so happens that my opinion is god though... I'm playin', but seriously... I'm not.

I decided against the King h/s and just bought a new cog/lock ring to take advantage of my fixed/fixed hub, got a 16T for riding at the track w/ ~80 gear inches / ~3:1 gear ratio, and getting my legs stronger while going uphill in the city. Next up is to get the back wheel trued when a certain highly regarded wheel builder opens his store back up.

I think I'm over outlandish upgrades like a King headset when my own is fine in favor of putting some cash in the bank and only getting upgrades that are absolutely necessary, atleast until the next paycheck haha.

With that said it's raining today and my beater bike is sitting in pieces in the basement because I sold the back wheel after I bent the front (cheap-o Weinnman rim laced to cheap-o hub) and the cranks need to be ditched. Oh well, nothing wrong with getting the nice bike dirty either.

Joker, you go for a ride today? Typical spring Portland weather, get teased with the sun only to be rained on, have a few promising moments of parting clouds and than the rain returns with a vengeance. Skid stops on wet pavement is like riding with coaster brakes though, so I'm happy as long it doesn't start raining so hard that all the water goes straight to my eyes and I can barely see.

Latest in bike fashionzz. Taking a carbon saddle and stripping it of the leather and padding and just rocking a paper thin carbon weave.

Trends of the future that i will start. As longer and longer alleycats take place, bike camping up and over the bridge will become popular. Fashionably popular. And respectively, heavy steel tubed frames, wider 40 spoke rims with unmachined sidewalls, back racks, fork racks, and trailer hitches towing tents, kegs, firepits and the like. In all, every bicycle accessory popular today (with the exception of towing kegs behind tandems) will no longer be the cool hip thing because eight spoke 700c wheels and ultra light carbon frames just cant handle the tow.

I certainly did Professor Hesh. It's one of the reasons I stopped riding fixed for liesure riding. When I can afford to build up a road geometry horizontal drop-out bike, with hand brakes, I will get back into the "craze".

Rubbish... definitely got out yesterday for a few hours. When I left it was nice out though a tad bit chill. Within an hour I was getting poured on. Stayed that way for the remainder of the ride. Sucked but that's Portland in the Spring.

I'll have a new race report on Sunday...

did you guys know that the opposite pull of slowing a fixed gear reverses the muscle building effects of regular pedaling.

yep, i did. i either do very light backpedaling (enough to go from moving to stopped in a block or two) or just skip stop. a lot of skip stopping these days actually... my knees love me for it. first few months after going brakeless, i did some nasty backpedaling here and there and quickly realized it's bullshit. just depends on what the situation demands, either a light going red off in the distance or me doing 20mph and the light suddenly goes red and i can't clear it through.

people that ride brakeless and w/o skip/skid capability are fools.

i know a messenger who rides a bare carbon (plastic?) saddle here, soup. he doesn't to be trendy, he's just had the saddle forever and it's slowly deteriorated and he got used to do that hard surface...

i think as a whole portland is a hell of a lot more utilitarian and less fashionable than sf in the fixed gear thing, you don't really see the crazier SF things surfacing here, although rumor has it there's some guy that rides a bike with two disc wheels downtown and it's definitely stolen (the wheels). there's way more guys on spray painted conversion beaters here if anything, though.

death comes for us all.

not that i ride to be working on my fitness, but i need some clarity here.

slowing on a fixed gear by resisting on the way up and puliing on the way down

does not destroy any muscle that you have built whilst pedaling forward.

it may make your legs less efficient when pedaling forward

being that you are building muscle in unecessary locations,

on the other side of the joint, that you dont use when pedaling forward.

lemme know if you think i am wrong.

no... using your whole leg to backpedal is not good for them. it causes like microtears in the knee tissues. point is, if you're not going that fast, you can use your ankles / pedal clips to your advantage for backpedaling, otherwise just throw a few skips, it's really not rocket science. hardcore track racers of the past who would ride their bikes on the road would have full brakes as to not have to backpedal at all, nor would roadies trying to improve spin by riding a fixed gear, atleast AFAIK.

the worst is trying to backpedal down a hill.

my knees love me for skip stopping.

Rubbish... I've seen that guy downtown a few times now. Once he was riding his dual disc wheels (BTW... they're the cheap version - plastic covers that go over the spokes. One is red and the other is blue) and had two wheel bags in one hand. The light was red and he didn't stop or slow in time and just went through the light against traffic. Dude almost lost his shit. It was a little funny.

Portland is indeed a little more utilitarian when it comes to cycles but I'm slowly seeing the fashionistas come through. Saw a guy with an all white bike, white bar tape and white mags. He was trying to sweet talk these two young girls. I think I heard one of the girls tell her friend "...c'mon, he stinks!" Most of the fashionable riders I see here in Portland are guys who don't make a living with their bike. You can kinda tell who does and who doesn't. The bag alone gives it away. It used to be that a small lock in the back pocket gave it away but now even the herbs do that trick.

I'm all about a fixed gear for riding around town but the more and more I think about it the more and more I'm looking at one of these things...

207.jpg

Some messengers are fashionable, some non-messengers are utilitarian. The chain lock around the waist usually screams messenger, as does lycra shorts worn under some shants; the matching Deep V's to bar tape to saddle screams fashion. But the line blurs. You don't see that many shiney bikes locked up in the rack all NJS'd and Deep V'd out around here though, I see beater conversions more than anything, besides some of the flashier messenger bikes, and the out of towners with 3000 dollar track bikes.

I'll have to get a picture of my ride up here. No flashy colors and nothing put on for the sake of aeshetics alone, I promise.

Joker, is that a 3 speed or what? I love me some 70's Raleigh 3 speeds with the Brooks, super wide white walled tires, and back rack. Has that sort of vintage utilitarian go-anywhere appeal, something you could take touring I suppose. Sure they weigh a ton, but they weren't exactly made with racing in mind.

Joker, is that a 3 speed or what?

Probably a three speed. Fron the photo it's a little hard to tell but that bike is either a vintage Gazelle from Holland or a Jorg & Olif from Vancouver, BC. Either way... I have a soft spot for these bikes. The first time I went to Amsterdam these things were everywhere and the demographic using them was broad. From old guy getting to and from work to young kids heading to the shops. They're perfect for wet climates too. The chain mech is completely covered to keep grime out and your pants from getting caught. Full fenders with wide courtesy flaps keeps you dry. The "skirt" guard at the rear wheel keeps water from spraying the back of your legs. Integrated lights. Integrated rear wheel lock. Upright position for comfort and ease. Rear rack for groceries... or a friend, as I saw in Amsterdam a lot... especially late at night when everyone was riding their bikes home drunk.

To me, this would be the perfect bike to get around the inner-city workings of Portland. Not great if I needed to get out into the suburbs but for getting around town... it seems perfect. But maybe I'm attracted to this style of bike because it's not a fixed gear track bike... haven't figured that one out yet. And not sure it's really important at my age.

me.jpg

Frame: fit street flow 20.75

Bars: SLAM BARS BITCH!

Stem: shadow top load

Forks: odyssey dirt

Headset: dont know

Grips: edwin

Bar Ends: animal

Seat: shadow(macneil fat cap brown/black soon)

Seat Post: shadow(macneil stump soon)

Seat Post Clamp: shadow

Cranks: 180 powerbites repainted white

Sprocket: animal 25t i wanted a 28 but they didnt have any in the shop

Chain: shadow

Pedals: animal unsealed(soon to be drive mag)

Bottom Bracket: mid

Front Wheel:

Rim: hazard lite

Spokes: primo

Hub: hazard 14mm

Tire: odyssey

Back Wheel:

Rim: fly

Spokes: black

Hub: joytec 9t (shhhh dont tell no one)

Tire: animal asm

Pegs: j-peg lite in front and kink lite in back