bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest HESHIANDET

BUMP ALL THE WAY FROM A POST OFFICE IN FUCKIN ALASKA! HAHA

i'll be home soon, i feel weird not being able to ride every day. as far as skater s not agreeing i rode my skatebooard (and still do) since i was in the 5th grade, long time. i got the credentials to say the things i say. i really feel that dudes on bmx got bigger balls. sorry

Guest Dusty Lipschitz

i can't believe hesh rode his bike all the way to alaska...

whats' the first thing alaskan mothers teach their kids?

don't eat the yellow snow

holla at ya bull when you get back

------------------

Now back to your regularly scheduled re-programming...

Okay all you fixies out there... it's advice time. Give this old man some tid-bits of info...

I have to get new wheels for my fixed gear bike. I was going to just fix the ones I have, but after I buy a new hub for the back and a new rim, pay to have it all built and the front wheel trued... I'm practically looking at the cost of a new wheel set anyway. (Don't have a friend in the shop) I'm definitely going with Phil Wood hubs and want to radial lace the front wheel as well as the non-drive side of the back. Here's question one... is radial lace on the back, non-drive side, worth it? Or will it be stronger to do regular lace? The Mavic Cosmos I have on my Road bike are radial laced front only. And I bang the shit out of them and they're still true. But with a street bike... which is stronger/ smarter? Question two... rims. I'm considering Mavic Open Pro rims but I also like the CXP33 rims. I found a wheelset online with Phil Wood hubs and Velocity deep dish rims. They're about $100 more than I'm looking to pay, but I don't know anything about Velocity rims. Rims for the street? Question three... the drive. Fixed/ free or fixed? I'm sure this is a matter of preference but what are the opinions out there? I've riden my Pista with just fixed and no brake for months now before crashing it. I loved it. But slowing down and skid stops were difficult for a roadie who loves going as fast as possible. Question four... cow horn bars. I rode a friends bike with 'em and loved them. Though he had no brakes either. Stopping was definitely an issue when you're stretched out like that. But just going straight ahead... ahhhhh... the speed. Have any of you riden these bars and gone back to drops? Why? And if you ride cow horn bars now... why? Question five... back to the drive. Ratio? I live in a rather hilly area, which doesn't bother me with the 48-16 I have now. Getting up a steep hill isn't to much of a problem. Comfortable? Not really. Is there a good all around ratio for street riding? Or is this also a matter of preference?

I realize that's a lot of questions for me to throw out there, but I figured I'd ask the pro's. I'm just a roadie who likes to ride a fixed around town and with friends. Any advice and/ or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Joker (edited 08-11-2001).]

okay joker....here i go spittin some knowledge...

1.radio lace in front wheel is great. the idea with the back is crap. the fact that is really doesnt make sense and it won't make it stronger. go tradiational for the back.

2.velocities on the phill wood are the best that you are going to get. you can beat them to death and you will still have a good wheel. just ask my boyfriend!

3. bull horns. pursuit bars are cool, don't get aluminum, they'll snap right where the stem is. just ask my boyfriend! if you fina steel ones, call my boyfriend! hehehehe http://www.12ozprophet.com/ubb//biggrin.gif'>

4. for the ratio, but the back cog up to a 17. it's still 3 to 1 but it's easier. you can still get up hills without any trouble, most of the time. and you won't spin out.

5. go fixed.... http://www.12ozprophet.com/ubb//biggrin.gif'>

hope this helps. me go to bed now. goodnight san francisco, the qween has left.

Guest HESHIANDET

immmmm back.

im w/ devilush on pretty much all of that. im riding a 47 - 12/13 (i forget) and i pretty much die on bigger hills. as for the radial lace i'd steer clear of it on the back, i've seen wheels looking pretty bad after getting a radial lace on the back. they get all twisted and whatnot-yuck.

im no help, willy will drop the know ledge.

i cant wait to buy a bike....i ll probably just use it to cruise the streets for exercise....none of that silly hopping around....any suggestions???

yeah, id probably find some good recomedations if actually read through this thread but using the 12oz formula im guessing out of 5 pages of replies 4 and a half of those pages are completly irrelivant....no time, boxes to pack

------------------

brick, brick ,brick...thats how i be up against your girlfriends ass...

Guest HESHIANDET

just for exercise on the streets, get a mid to entry level roadie. you'll love it.

btw, nice ride tis weekend (weather permitting). philly to avalon nj, ahh nothing like pushing a fixed gear 100+ miles and breathing in sweet ocean air at the end of the ride........ http://www.12ozprophet.com/ubb//smile.gif'>

oh and get the frick up der

man,this is such a long thread. its been a while since ive looked at it. it takes so long to load on my slow ass connection. currently my fixie is outta commision, hesh, remember the whole stripped threads on the hub? well it is true,theyre stripped and i was fucked. i ordered a new lock ring just hopping i could get it to stay on, no luck. so, im building new wheeles, i ordered some suzue track hubs(saw that article on sheldon brown about the campy's and decided against em)gonna lace the hubs to mavic open pro's.this will be good.it also gives me time to repaint the frame(from black to red, put a new saddle on, a selle italia gel saddle, and ditch my bull horns for new cinelli drop bars with new red tape.put some michilin tires on that mofo and itll look hot.i cant wait to ride it again.ive been ridding my mtn bike to work and its such a heffer on the pavement compared to my fixie.oh and to answer the gear ratio question i ride a 48/14.its good for me.oh yeah,all you bay area roadies, lance is raccing in the S.F. grand prix on sept 9th,just a heads up.long live this thread!

[This message has been edited by DIBS (edited 08-14-2001).]

Guest chicken bone

i dont own a bicicleta.. sorry, i like to walk. besides i heard men that ride bikes a lot get impotent.. now thats how you will repay for having the largest thread on the channel zero blah blah.

------------------

chicken bone!

6 frikkin pages. the longest post in `12 oz history?

dibs you ride a fuckin 63 i wish i had something over 60. you must be a tall bastard. all i dream about is a track setup with a lugged out 63 cm seat post and 57 cm stem. the joys of dreaming of a 6 cm lean.

hesh that campy shit is crazy. thats why everyone should own phil woods. and now he has em for like fifty dollars more powder or plastic coated. godamn pink high flanges.

dear lord gimme some money so i can buy phil pink high flanges.

fucking lifetime guarantee, regardless of road or track.

joker probably thinks i am neglecting him, i just havent gotten around to rereading his post. ill get to it.

"Here's question one... is radial lace on the back, non-drive side, worth it? Or will it be stronger to do regular lace? "

i think that everyone answered this, radial lace on the back isnt worth the risk of flattening out. but you could go twist on non drive side and hyper x the drive side like a 6 x or something. but if you are going to ride road on your fixie dont radial lace the front (well this is coming from boston so.... if you are riding smooth roads and not atlantic hell ave that you can see into the pits of hell) radial lacing is lighter looks better but on the road it and come to think of it even on the track it gets a little soft feeling, what you save on weight you may not make up for in energy transfer, i dont know if anyone has thought about that on this thread but im sure its out there. i have been looking at those shimano five spokes to build up a road bike but still have a krush on the ksyrium's.

Question two... rims. I'm considering Mavic Open Pro rims but I also like the CXP33 rims. I found a wheelset online with Phil Wood hubs and Velocity deep dish rims. They're about $100 more than I'm looking to pay, but I don't know anything about Velocity rims. Rims for the street?

go with the cxp33, if you can find the tens or the 30's get those, so what if you have to buy long nippled tubes, they are a fuck of a lot stronger, the open pros are good but a deep vee rim gives you a lot of strength against vertical problems. but what do i know.

Question three... the drive. Fixed/ free or fixed? I'm sure this is a matter of preference but what are the opinions out there?

if you are comfortable riding a fixed there is no need for the extra weight of a flipflop. my plan is to have a free wheel and a coaster built just to keep in the background just in case i blow out my knees or something like that, i have a flip flop now but once i buy my woods i dont thik that there is a need for it, if you are comfortable enough to have it do it.

Question four... cow horn bars. I rode a friends bike with 'em and loved them. Though he had no brakes either. Stopping was definitely an issue when you're stretched out like that. But just going straight ahead... ahhhhh... the speed. Have any of you riden these bars and gone back to drops? Why? And if you ride cow horn bars now... why?

they look good they get you good aero but they are just for that, spinning out and being tucked. or cranking up a hill and getting big triceps. in the city i ride risers because they are comfortable, they dip enough that i can get in the center of the bar in a sick tuck when i want to spin. i am a fan of risers on road fixed for work, but for training i think i would go with a nice set of cinelli track dropouts thats what they are made for being as aero as possible and cranking way low in the drops. personal opinion. as for skipping and skids with bullhorns i guess it is a matter of riding it enough and feeling comfy as hell on em.

Question five... back to the drive. Ratio? I live in a rather hilly area, which doesn't bother me with the 48-16 I have now. Getting up a steep hill isn't to much of a problem. Comfortable? Not really. Is there a good all around ratio for street riding? Or is this also a matter of preference?

i ride a 53 15 and i am burnt in the knee area, but i win every sprint and get a sick ass spin going. i wouldnt mind dropping to an even ratio and having it be exact 3 to 1 like a 52 14 or something. yes that one little tooth makes a difference on your knees. i dunno i am not a huge "gear" head (literally) i like my components more than my knees. and i like to win alleycats so... thats my preferences. and thats what fixed riding is.

hope that helped tho most of it was said already.

gosh darn! this is 6 pages long of fixed gear riding freakazoids that get maddd hot! i like it. have you guys noticed that on ebay they have so many shit for track on sale? gosh darn those are a lot of pages. but i can't find anything my size. i think i want new cranks. actually i want a new seat post. i have no money. shit.

i dunno if i am envious of that or the 3450 dollar mercian 1935 with wooden rims and olllllllld ass gipiemme hubs oh god someone give me a job where i make 76083640987 dollars a day so i can buy every damn bike in existence.

septembre hesh septembre and it only gets spelled in French.

everyone send me email and bike stuff for my birthday on saturday you send me email i send you real address you get me bike stuff i be forever grateful. jerseys, hats (my love) new sidi shoes, chris king headset whatever youthink i am worth.