>>--| Song of the Week |--<<

Guest imported_El Mamerro

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well, keeping with the german theme of ill nerds, here is a mega-nerd named thomas koner. i first heard this mans music in the summer of '95 and proceeded to have hairs stand up all over my body. somebody threw on virgin's 'ambient 4: isolationism' 2 disc compilation(which is fucking unbelievable and should be hunted down without hesitation) and i remember being all wasted lying on the ground in our backyard relaxed at 3 in the morning and feeling like i was alone, thousands of miles away from civilization. subsequent vibes i get are that i'm actually listening to the sound of earth from space, alone, slowly floating away.

since then i have found that his 1996 'Aubrite' disc is his best work. he is also very well known under the guise of Porter Ricks, which are also pretty awesome, but lean more to the surge of minimal techno that was exploding in the mid-late 90's. lately i believe he's nerding out on sound/art installations and collaborations.

anyhow, this is music that absolutely be played loud, and even more importantly, on an incredible, incredible system with a very good sub.

Appropriately enough, it snows the day

Thomas Koner arrives in London. If anyone deserves a white carpet

welcome, it is this German composer, who dedicates his music to reversing the

processes of global warming. Koner's stunning - or perhaps that should read numbing - debut Nunatak Gongamur describes the last moments of Scott's ill-fated polar expedition. Its successor Teimo takes as its model the cooling molecular structure of the body after death, his

third disc carries the self-explanatory title "permafrost".

Granted, Thomas Koners new CD, "aubrite" - meaning a non-terrestial mineral...

...The development of Koners music from disc-to-disc is as minutely graded as the pieces

they contain. The desolate blizzard-swept arctic wastes of Nunatak are created by miking up gongs, then rubbing, scraping and electronically treating the sounds to the point where their origin is unrecognisable. "Teimo" is more felt than heard. you don't so much listen as immerse yourself in it. As your ears become accustomed to its silences, you begin to pick out shapes, the shadowy aural equivalent of towering rock formations just about visible through the storm. They don't exactly hold the promise of shelter, but they are useful coordinates to fix on to find your way into the music's desolate beauty.

Exactly where does Koner's music exist? His press kit carries a glowing endorsement from an Australian Buddhist, but, despite the music's progress towards silence and nothingness, Koner denies any religious motivation. On the contrary, this confessed non-dance who admits the rhythms of his works are far removed from dance culture, feels closest to Techno, which nas blasted contemporary music wide open to the point where any extreme goes in its chill-out interzones. Koner evidently feels enough common ground between Techno's BPM blizzards and the snowstorms of his owr music to act as sound designer on the recent Basic Channel related project Porter Ricks, on the appropriately-titled single "Port Of Transition". Koner has described the guiding principle behind his work as an 'Asthetik der Untergang', or aesthetic of decline, a term Einsturzende Neubauten used to apply to their early performances. Unsurprisingly, Koner applies the aesthetic differently. For him it has to do with the way the natural decay of sound resembles decay in nature. The former leads to silence, the latter to death. In both cases they leave an afterglow that imprints itself on the memory. Koner's acceptance of the process is not only personally liberating, it frees his music from the futile sense of entropy that pervades much post-Industrial Ambient stuff. Even so, Koner reports that the rare visitors to his Dortmund home see some affinity between the post-Industrial sites of a city that has seen better days and their host's music.

"They walk around Dortmund and say that it sounds a bit like my music," says Koner. "There are vast areas where there are no used roads, but you always have ~ distant railroad or a distant highway, creating an envelope of diffused sounds, so when you walk through these abandoned industrial fields, there is thi. silence, but with very powerful motorised sound reproducing units in the distance. And I would not givr up this. I would never move to the country. Well, it's sometimes nice to visit; but after three weeks I have to go to the nearest town, sit down and get some good diesel engines and scraping metal sounds. It's a big pleasure for me."

Thomas Koner-Nuuk

aubrite.jpg

--11/10/05--

--Song of the Week--

Some unknown stupidity in my computer left me unable to import a song from my iPod, and from opening my P2P app (and my e-mail, and my font manager, etc). It seems to have resolved itself through sheer magic about 20 minutes ago.

Anyways, now that I've managed to extract the song... A few days ago we got dumb stoned and decided to watch "Koyaanisqatsi" on mute with a custom soundtrack playing on the stereo. It was absolutely fucking insane. We must've felt like the first people who discovered "The Dark Side of Oz" phenomena, cause EVERY SINGLE SONG we happened to play went ridiculously perfect with whatever showed up on screen. It was like watching, back to back, the best fucking videos ever made. We even tried to throw it off on purpose, by playing "Gimme the Loot" by Biggie, I mean, there's no way that would fit with the solemnity and slow pace of the movie... and then the deserted ghetto apartment scene showed up right on the spot, and it was fucking perfect. Biggie rapping about being a gangster and getting cash, while images of insane urban abandonment and poverty rolled by on the screen. We seriously couldn't fucking believe it. That shit would have won a fucking award if it was an actual video.

So anyways, one of the songs we played is today's choice. This song basically repeats a phrase over an over, with a haunting guitar and congas slowly beating in the background, and yet it also managed to fit fucking perfectly with the movie. As soon as the vocalist utters said phrase for the first time, the scene that showed up was a really long time-lapse shot of a vast cityscape with clouds rolling over it, rains coming and going, rays of light piercing through the cover, darkness flowing in and out, etc. Listen to this song and imagine how our hairs stood on end when we heard the words combined with the imagery.

It's a sweet fucking little song on its own as well. Don't be turned off by the fact that it's by Tool.

Tool, "Disposition"

By the way POIESIS, I can't get your song to work and it's driving me fucking insane. I really want to listen to it. Can you reupload?

hmm, yea, that's twice this week i've had troub's with my shite...

try these puppies, 1 is the same as above, 2 is basically

the original tune i referred to from back in 95. it's actually

off of aubrite, but it is remarkably similar, and probably

a very slight variation to his track from

ambient 4, called 'kanon'. be sure to rename these when

you dl them cuz they are straight off the cd and aren't labeled,

perhaps that's why there was malfunction above.

hope these work...

1 - Thomas Koner~Nuuk

2 - Thomas Koner~Grohuk(Kanon variation)

Guest imported_Tesseract

t-daddy! get on aim you malfuck, its been a looong time.

I dled your tunes and they didnt play, fuckin weird. I got so pissed i'm dling the whole album now. I'm sure its gonna worth it.

lemme pick a song...

what do you mean they wouldn't play?

are you guys sure the dl's are not working? these tunes are very quiet

and fade in slowly...you have to listen very carefully(and turn your volume up).

otherwise i don't get why they aren't working...damn, that's lame.

Guest imported_Tesseract

11/10/2005

Song Of the Week*

John Frusciante, Murderers

After listening to MC5 for 10 days straight and being on a speed trip the whole time, John Frusciantes 'to record only water for ten days' stroke me like medicine. Completely chilled out, kinda sad but not pathetic and above all, another proof that junkies have always been my fav musicians. The follow track is instumental and one of the most upbeat pieces in there. Also, it complies with my 'repeat1 for hours' working technique. I use songs like these to concentrate my head on high peaks of work by listening them over and over and over for hours. Enjoy.

Guest imported_Tesseract

ahem, feeling ashamed...Nuuk works actually after the instruction sheet was handed. The other song stopped at 77% and never reconnected nomatter how many tries.

After politely passing my aim offer, you still use the same addy brothell? i need to catch up with you on old beef and fresh bacon.

OYK

hmm, i hope i didn't steer this thread into really boring waters with that last one...so i guess i'll wade back into familiar soundscapes with one of the

most buttery hiphop tracks i've heard in years...snaffed this up earlier in the year on a 9th wonder download binge and have been hooked off and on since. the production on this track is friggin' majestical, and cl's voice and content is perfectly matched.

not a whole lot to say for this tune other than it's total buttery biscuits.

hope it works this time...

Take You There(9th Wonder Remix)-Pete Rock & CL Smooth

FUCK NO dude. You keep putting out that odd shit, I'm fucking eating it up like hotcakes. It's ten billion times more interesting and there's much less of a chance that we'll ever run into that stuff otherwise. I'll allow you (AND ONLY YOU) to upload two songs each week, one nerdball steez and another for the masses.

I'm still at the office so I can't upload today. Reggaeton hotness tomorrow.

hahaha, okay...another hotcake then..i hope you don't have this already mams...

to me this is a totally incredible collabo by fennesz, mika vainio(of panasonic/vvv fame), and some dude named christian zanesi, who i've never heard of, and as far as i can tell is a noob composer or something out of french music nerdstitute INA-GRM, a place that is a 9.9 on the richter scale of nerdosity.

White Landscape - GRM Experience (Fennesz, Mika Vainio, Christian Zanesi)

--11/WTF/05--

--Song of the Week--

Always late.

As promised in the last weekend thread, here is the song that ruined my chances with an older woman last Saturday night. This song's style (mix of reggateon, bachata, and dominican-style merengue) sparked an insane amount of copies using the same concept, none of them as good as the original. In addition, it has been remade like 8 times, with different artists, etc. It's somewhat of it's own little phenomenon in the reggaeton world, and it's well deserved, cause it's a fucking banger. The best thing it's how it starts off with a bombastic orchestral intro, then quickly descends into dirty, dirty latin percussion with that funny little bachata guitar twanging all over the place. Very much fit for the DPC Hall of Fame, it's a nice weekend kicker-offer for you people.

Más Flow 2 (Various artists), "Mayor que Yo"

By the way Po, the 9th Wonder track is the fucking definition of butter. It's on repeat every time I sit in the car.

Guest imported_Tesseract

I'm boycotting my uploads until something worthwhile comes my way. Lack of commentary on my latest leads me there [/seeking attention], haha

Originally posted by Tesseract@Nov 18 2005, 07:40 PM

I'm boycotting my uploads until something worthwhile comes my way. Lack of commentary on my latest leads me there [/seeking attention], haha

dude...tesser...c'mon...

Since you need the attention...I just listened to Murderers a few minutes ago. Definitely a nice, chill, upbeat instrumental. Diggin it and most everything else from everyone.

I've been on a big rockabilly phase lately. I left Honky at home, but I'll dig through what I've got here and see if I find something worthwhile.

11/23/2005

SteveAustin's Song Of the Week

+ Supersuckers - Roadworn and Weary +

Alright, here's my first contribution.

Like I said earlier, I've been on a bit of an alt country and rockabilly phase.

Since I don't have access to my first selection, I thought I'd go with one of

the bands that got me started on this whole kick. Plus they're headed to

town fairly soon and it kinda describes how hectic shit has been for me lately.

Love it or hate it...its what you get from me this week.

- | 6x | -

Archived