>>--| Song of the Week |--<<

Guest imported_El Mamerro

--05/5/04--

--Song of the Week--

This one goes out to my negro BROWNer for putting me onto the illness that is Fennesz.

Christian Fennesz is an Austrian guitarrist and electronic musician whose majority of work is derived from digitally processed guitar sounds. The result: some absolutely fucking gorgeous music, both shrill and soothing, strange yet familiar. This guy layers so many different sounds, textures and melodies into his work it's almost hard to comprehend how exactly it is they all work together so beautifully.

This is the opening track on his latest album, "Venice", and it's stunningly beautiful. I wish I could make a movie, if only so that I could use this on the soundtrack. Here's:

Fennesz, "Rivers of Sand"

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest BROWNer

yea dude! thank you for uploading this..

i've been drooling over the cover design

since i found out about it....jon wozencroft

is one of the gods in my pantheon.

just curious if you bought it or acquisitioned it...?

i haven't had any luck finding it..

I've gotten about 5 tracks of "Venice" on Acquisition (as well as a bunch of stuff off other albums). Took a lot of persistence hitting the refresh button, but otherwise it's not hard to come up with 50+ hits on Fennesz. I'm still tracking dwn the rest of the songs, if they were on iTunes I'd purchase the album with rapidness. If I still had AIM I'd hook you up proper... :o

And yes, the cover art fucking kills it. The liner pages supposedly have five Wozencroft photos too.

http://www.fennesz.com/img/TO53.gif'>

By the way, I have been giving thought to putting a WILD AND CRAZY spin on this whole thing... TWO SONGS PER WEEK!!

Song of the Week for the workdays, to be posted on Mondays, and a Song of the Weekend for partydays to be posted on Fridays. Whaddaya say?

My hosts are gonna boot me.

YES! Awhile back Browner had a short audio link to some fennesz song, so i check it out and liked it so i downloaded a bunch more. Its good stuff. Brownsz, if you want some fennesz, i have a couple of his cds and a couple of his cds with collaborations with other people. Hit me up on aim---> MrScojangles<

Tiki Obmar - Porch

These guys are a local band, and not only do they make good music, but they're really cool people too. Its three guys, they're all 19 now i think. I can't really put it in a genre, but its kinda idm type stuff with a combination of live instruments and affects. Real drums, samples and loops from mpc, keyboard, two computers including the guitarist hooked through one, and bass. Really laid back music and really talented musicians(their drummer is one of, if not the best in MN). I think theres another song on the site if you like it, or i can hook people up with more if they can't find it on music programs.

Guest BROWNer

chuprock..

yea dude, glad you dig. i have, as far as i'm aware, most of his shit in

hard copy format..i don't have live in japan..i seem to remember posting

a soundfile from that cd though..anyhow..

i'm workin' on gettin' the venice album..shits fucking slow.

yeah, i just snagged venice, apparently i didn't have it before, but i fixed that with the quickness. Fennesz is really different music, something i think will still grow on me more even though i already like it now.

edit: Fatty, you think you could send me that Bad Plus song next time you're on aim. I missed it when it was up, and i love that song, so i'm assuming its just fresh as hell.

Originally posted by MrChupacabra

Fatty, you think you could send me that Bad Plus song next time you're on aim. I missed it when it was up, and i love that song, so i'm assuming its just fresh as hell.

I'm on slsk, b. Name of album = These Are The Vistas.

Wow great thread...:freak:

The Yellow Submarine Ensemble...

http://www.yellowsubmarine.org.il/files/images/39.jpg'>

I liked this one a lot, but I'm getting it only later this week.

So untill I have a chance of ripping it and uploading it, anyone who wanna hear some can just press this button and enjoy, but not download for now..

Yeah, I know its dumb but I'll try and upload it as soon as I can.

Keep up the good thread.

Fuckin'...

DO NOT SUGGEST A SONG IF YOU'RE NOT GONNA PROVIDE A FULL MP3 OF IT.

Jesus Christ, how hard is that to understand? There's other threads for music suggestions, this is not one.

Sorry for lashing out like that kido.

--05/12/04--

--Song of the Week--

-DPC-

Today's song was up for grabs until late last night, when I managed to snag a song I've been fruitlessly tracking down for about a month... apparently nobody in the goddamn world had this song until yesterday.

The funny thing is, I actually HATE the guy who sings this... but the minimal production (by DJ Blass, my fave producer) is so fucking catchy I can't help but love this track. With a riff that sounds straight sampled fom a cheap merry-go-round, a beat that flows effortlessly from hip hop to dub to straight reggaetón, and rhymes almost entirely built around words that end in "ita", this is a straight DPC/Boat party banger. Kilo, this better be played this weekend at your patio bash, after everyone's drunk and dancing. Here's

Alberto Stylee feat. Nano MC, "Rebuleando"

Aquí llegó, tu papá...

Re: Fuckin'...

Originally posted by El Mamerro

DO NOT SUGGEST A SONG IF YOU'RE NOT GONNA PROVIDE A FULL MP3 OF IT.

Jesus Christ, how hard is that to understand? There's other threads for music suggestions, this is not one.

Sorry for lashing out like that kido.

I understand, I guesss I was confused with one of those other threads.

Ohhh yeahhhh... Its Wedsday.

Im sorry.

Sorry for missing last week ... I'll make up for it with two songs.

The Shins - A Call to Apathy

The Shins - Fighting in a Sack

It's really hard to pinpoint which genre The Shins fall into, but most would label it 'pop-rock.' I know that the word "pop" often makes you think of Britney Spears .. but Britney this isn't. Give both songs a listen.

Review stolen off of Amazon.com:

The Shins' sophomore album is a joy from start to finish, though it's rather different from their 2001 leftfield pop genius stunner Oh, Inverted World. That album was like a warm embrace from a long-lost pal. True to its title, all of the songs were of a piece, seeming to inhabit one landscape, with an invitingly similar sound throughout. Chutes is more far-reaching and decidedly eclectic. Each song is essentially its own genre exercise. There's singer-songwriter James Mercer's surprisingly Perry Farrell-ish wail on the almost indie-metal opener, "Kissing the Lipless"; the lovely pedal steel lilt to "Gone for Good"; the moody folktronica of "Those to Come"; and the Cars-gone-rockabilly riffing on "Turn a Square." The strongest song, the acoustic "Young Pilgrims," is stripped-down and brilliant. On every tune, Mercer packs more hooks and melodic invention than most bands do on one album. As a whole, it's an even better record than Inverted World.

Guest imported_Tesseract

KIDS, DONT DO DRUGS

So, heres my first submission to this fine thread....a killer idea with killer content, i'm about to fuck it all up for one single reason...i want to remind you that abuse of drugs melts your brain...furthermore if your brain was kinda melted to begin with, its unrepairable and can cause several beatdowns and a great deal of humiliation and isolation.

Having said all that, prepare your self for a greek tale.

It all begins in Athens, the year is 1994 and the graffiti scene is exploding. The concerts of a hip hop band called Terror X Crew is the main gathering of pretty much everyone who writes, the band it self is formed by writers and surrounded by the most notorious bombers that use the bands name in every tag and piece they make....to keep it simple, TXC is a graffiti crew more than a hip hop band.

So like i said, we were all meet at their concerts, have fun and then go out and bomb the shit out of everything...i dont know if you can get in the picture but if you can imagine 60 people getting out of a small club downtown and bombing non stop until the closest train yard that also got trashed...we were young, stupid and above all in an enviroment that never had a graffiti problem so we could do our thing in outrageous ways.

As you can understand by the general mood the songs of the band where amping us for that...all the lyrics where about bombing, destroying state property and classified under the general term of 'anarchism'....

Years past by, the scene got bigger, subscenes where created, things tightened up securitywise (after the reckless burn up of everyspot and the first paint-then brake everyhting mindframe)

The people in the band where starting to lose it on drugs and suddenly its 2001 when they drop an album that takes everyone by surprise...It appears that these guys have started associating with skinheads and older nationalists and took a serious turn into patriotic shit combined with a lousy return to ancient greece shit...i remember buying the cd out of curiosity and laughing my ass off for a good hour...ITS RIDICULOUS...

Like this wasnt enough these guys started playing live on nationalist parties gathering and stuff...many people got annoyed and an organised beatdown took place...after that, they disappeared from the face of the earth...so here it is, this is how it is to be ridiculous...this is how fuckin wack greek hip hop is, this is why you shouldnt use drugs (when you're already a retard)

enjoy :sarcasm;

Vanity, that doesn't count. Please provide an actual link to the song or delete the post.

Tesser, the link doesn't work!! Also, could I ask you for a favor? Is it possible to do some quality control on this thread and clean out all posts that suggest a song and then flake out on providing one? I guess this would have to include some by our friends, but, we have to set an example... :o

Guest imported_Tesseract

Godamn! that means i have to delete my own post! arrghhh...seriously, its hosted on pmb's site so i cant really tell whats going on...

I'd gladly clean up this thread....so, you want me to delete everypost that has a link to a song but the song simply aint there?

confirm

Guest imported_Tesseract

I love you Kathy:love:

Mams, i'm a bit slow today...after breaking an egg on my head i understood what you meant...this thread is now cleared and the law will be strict and rapid from now on.

Originally posted by El Mamerro

You may NOT post song suggestions for people to go get on their own.

Obey.

Archived