>>--| Song of the Week |--<<

Guest imported_El Mamerro

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by El Mamerro

So, with the hopes you feel a little bit of what I felt that Sunday, and what the whole island felt the summers of '92-'96, I present to you:

Vico-C, "La Inglesa"

Enjoy, and see you next week. [/b]

I came across this song a few years ago and even sampled it to play around with, the plonky piano and horn stabs are fresh. I sware i've heard a different version to that one you posted though; Any ideas?

--04/21/04--

--Song of the Week--

So I kept hearing about Jedi Mind Tricks this, Jedi Mind Tricks that, and never bothered to actually check them out. Well, last Friday I spent hours upon hours browsing samples on the iTunes music store, and came upon their stuff. Gave a few listens, shat my pants... ended up buying the whole digital album of "Visions of Gandhi" (also heard some of the Psycho-Social album, which is universally acclaimed as much better, but found pretty much nothing I dug... beats weren't happenin' and I don't give much of a crap about lyrical content).

So here's my favorite track on the album, which has been on repeat endlessly throughout the weekend. The tango sample is deadly, the beat is murderous, and whoever the fuck the first guy rhyming is (Planetary), he has a dope-sounding voice.

"A Storm of Swords", Jedi Mind Tricks feat. Planetary

Until next Wednesday, folks.

nice mamski.

it sounds like Fantasia in the Bronx with that french guy from Ghost Dog playing the squeeze box.

Or the Wolf from Peter And the Wolf trying to pick up Amelia in some hot ATL club.

Sorry if I'm breaking the rules being a day late .. but I figure you'd rather have an additional song than not.

The Bad Plus - Flim

The Bad Plus is a three man jazz group out of NYC consisting of a pianist, a drummer, and a bassist. They first got a lot of press about a year or two ago when their first national release [These are the Vistas] had a cover of "Smells Like Teen Spirit." This song, however, is a cover of Aphex Twin's "Flim." Fucking awesome. I've seen them perform this live, and it's jaw-dropping amazing to watch the drummer get the seemingly random beats perfect.

I added this as a nod to Mamz. Enjoy.

Originally posted by Poop Man Bob

Sorry if I'm breaking the rules being a day late .. but I figure you'd rather have an additional song than not.

The Bad Plus - Flim

Nice.

That's one of my favorite AFX tracks, one of

the few I actually know the name of. When I

read 'Flim' I thought to myself 'ah, a coisidence,

somone else named a song that... and a jazz

band...' only to scan down a line out of impatience

to see Aphex Twin.... damn, nice find.

I've always wanted to hear true renditions of his stuff and these guys got it to a T.

--04/28/04--

--Song of the Week--

A few days ago someone made a thread about Ghostface's new album, which I completely ignored for some reason. Then I took a gander at some samples, and fell in love with this particular song. The rest of the album sounds pretty dope, don't get me wrong, but this tune seemed particularly good. Not only that, but it's pretty different for a Ghostface tune, really lightearted and apt for the coming summer season. This is top-down-driving-to-the-beach-while-bobbing-your-head-with-a-"this is what's up"-smirk-on-your-face music.

Built on a killer sample of Freddie Scott's "You Got What I Need" (popularized by Biz Markie), and self-produced by Ghostface (actually, I feel this same concept and beat could be even iller in the hands of another, this has some rough edges... still it's fucking sick), here's:

Ghostface Killa, "Save Me Dear"

'Till next.

Well, you can't attach an mp3 per se to this site... you need a host, not a strictly photo host, that allows you to upload any kind of file and put it online. Then you simply link to it the same way you'd link to an image.

The space I use is in a private server, and was provided to me by friends I've worked with before. There's a bunch of free hosting services around, but most of them are pretty shitty when it comes to bandwidth... anything decent will cost money. I wish I could help you out better, but that's all I can provide.

cody chesnuTT - Serve This Royalty

• I really don't know how to describe his music, but it has elements of funk, hip hop, soul, and rock all jam packed into a 36 track album called The Headphone Masterpiece. He recorded it in his bedroom using one mic and a four-track, which adds an obvious low-tech feel to the entire album. I saw him live last year, and the album isn't an anomaly - dude can rock.

The song I selected has been on heavy rotation on my computer and iPod for the past few weeks. Download it, bitches.

Word up, the Ragester is back in action... I knew you'd be back man.

Poops, Cody is fucking sick... ever since that song with the Roots came out I've been digging the guy (no homo).

hey Mamerro. Did you say that Reggeaton is said to one day equal salsa and merengue? Was Reggeaton BORN in Puerto Rico or does someone else get credit for it as well? This is interesting cause I got a girl in my house right now thats from Puerto Rico and I wanna front like I know a thing or two.

she says that noise and playero werent the first. She says they were the first that made it out on the stores. She says there were "undelgroun" tapes and DJs all over Carolina a year before Noise 1, which was also undelgroun. she says allot of other shit Ill get back to you

Yeah, what she says is true. There WERE a bunch of mixtapes before Playero and NOISE, that's the sole reason the genre was called "underground". Playero and NOISE were the first to gain wide circulation all over the island and eventually make it onto print. Can't remember is the first NOISE went to print, but I know Playero 37 did (that's 37 as in 37th mixtape put out by Playero, should give a hint as to how many were passing hands previous to that).

I credit those as the starting point of the sensation (also have to mention Wiso-G's tape) because before that it was a very limited fanbase, mainly in Carolina. After those three tapes came out, and the subsequent megahit by Vico-C, "Xplosión", all hell broke loose. Can't tell for sure how long tapes were circulating before that, if your girl is from Carolina she probably knows better.

Hey, you two...

READ THE FRIGGIN' RULES:

• You may NOT post song suggestions for people to go get on their own.

Guest BROWNer

pretend i'm whispering right now so mamerro can't hear me...

fancy clown is an amazing track :)

Archived