INK RECIPE SUPERTHREAD

rubbish heap

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest Sparoism

Okay, this may backfire, but here's a lead for all my Bay people.

On 14th Street in Oakland, between Webster and Harrison, you'll find my old ink hookup caled Oakland Stamp Company. They're blowing out all their old stock (they moved the store to Alameda). Garvey, Marsh, Specialty, Procolor- and more. The guy in there is cool, but don't let on that you write since I doubt he's THAT cool...

Go in dressed nice, and just say you need some good, permanent ink for shipping purposes. If you can't fake it, I wouldn't advise it. The guy in there is pretty smart, we've had some conversations and that was the impression I got from him. Also, don't rack, even if it's possible...he's an independent business owner, and should be respected as such. Same thing- if the temptation to get over is too strong, pass it by.

The store is closed, but he's usually there between 10 am to 2 pm. Sorry, no phone number.

I have at least three years of supply on hand, so you aren't putting me out by taking advantage of this, BTW.

Guest Sparoism

Metro-

The good new is, I know what I did wrong now, so I can resend them. The bad news is, I'm broke, so I'll have to do it when I can. I kept declaring the contents as "samples of art supplies", and according to a coworker, that won't fly. I just have to mark it as "artwork" so it will get through.

I'll send it Express when I have money (?) and give you a head's up when it's on the way, I hope.

I wouldn't mix Fiebing's w/ Blacktop- everytime that I mix BT with ANYTHING it fucks up. Fiebing's is said to be available worldwide, but another option is Corio. Look around at local shoe repair shops and see what they've got- tell them you need a strong, black leather dye for an old pair of shoes.

Leather dye needs very little tweaking- oftentimes I'll just use it out of the bottle, if it has a dipper. Some people add brake fluid, but I never have and never missed it. Since it's a dye based on volatile organic compound solvents, it's strong enough to stain anything porous.

You will most likely get this on your hands...and unfortunately. turpenoids seem to be the only effective way to remove it. I've also had it eat through my gloves, too, for some reason....

odds and ends are dope...just mix it with some paint thinner and throw it in a mop

and why do you people want to throw in all these extra inks....ALL YOU NEED IS LEATHER DYE AND BRAKE FLUID...some crappy ink like sanford wont do shit but just fuck the leather dye up.....the best inks are simple, not made up of 5 different kinds of shit

Guest Sparoism
Originally posted by fuck muni@Dec 19 2005, 10:02 PM

odds and ends are dope...just mix it with some paint thinner and throw it in a mop

and why do you people want to throw in all these extra inks....ALL YOU NEED IS LEATHER DYE AND BRAKE FLUID...some crappy ink like sanford wont do shit but just fuck the leather dye up.....the best inks are simple, not made up of 5 different kinds of shit

I agree, but it's fun to mess around if you have the means to do so. I don't even mix stuff usually, and leather dye is fine by itself. I'm still not sold on the brake fluid thing....acetone would be a better additive if it's compatible with the ink you are using. It's the most common paint thinner out there.

I mean, I mixed a bunch of different inks together awhile back (I posted about it here) and while the result wasn't that opaque, it eats through enamel, and that's good from a vandal's point of view.

Odds 'n Ends is the shit if you thin it right...the poor man's One-Shot, I call it. My favorite is the light blue. It seems to work well as a refill paint for Unis, as well.

Guest diggity
Originally posted by fearthesear+Dec 5 2005, 01:08 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fearthesear - Dec 5 2005, 01:08 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-b0b@Jan 31 2004, 03:57 PM

Hovie:  Krink would not stain a br or a tube inside or out.  They can buff pretty much everything now.  Get experimenting with leather dyes and additive to get a stainer

where do you go about getting aluminum dust???? :shook:

[/b]

autoparts store/walmart/gas stations

its the shit you put in a radiator to make it stop leaking. comes in a small tube about the size of a roll of quarters.

Guest Sparoism
Originally posted by diggity+Dec 20 2005, 05:43 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (diggity - Dec 20 2005, 05:43 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by fearthesear@Dec 5 2005, 01:08 AM

<!--QuoteBegin-b0b@Jan 31 2004, 03:57 PM

Hovie:  Krink would not stain a br or a tube inside or out.  They can buff pretty much everything now.   Get experimenting with leather dyes and additive to get a stainer

where do you go about getting aluminum dust???? :shook:

autoparts store/walmart/gas stations

its the shit you put in a radiator to make it stop leaking. comes in a small tube about the size of a roll of quarters.

[/b]

Yeah, that's right...I'm gonna try this out. Thanks.

Guest Sparoism
Originally posted by i_write@Dec 21 2005, 01:37 AM

i find a quick and easy way to make a good ink is blacktop and acetone ( nail polish remover ) blacktop alone is hard 2 buff . and acetone will make it dry faster ..

And it doesn't turn the ink to jelly? This has happened to me with blacktop/different additives.

I gotta try that. I like that stuff.

Wow, things have changed...now I'm the one finding things out!

Guest Sparoism

Well, I have both of those...I imagine it's a lot thinner, too, right?

That shit lasts forever...I mean, I see three year old floaters of mine I did after I racked a box of that stuff.

I only got it to work in mops, though. Thanks for the tip...might have to pay that store a VISIT, if ya know what I mean.

Guest Sparoism

Yeah, I never go overboard to start with.

I have some acetone based ink, maybe that will work. I'll start off small, and then try it out.

That store loves me...little do they know. I used to go there all the time. I'd buy one, get three free. Sometimes, I'd just be "looking for something..I guess you don't have it", and name some off the wall shit I knew they had never heard of. Suckers.