INK RECIPE SUPERTHREAD

rubbish heap

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Quick question - I've got access to loads of oil based lithographic printing inks, going to experiment with thinning them down and putting them into a mop.

To be honest, I've not really got much experience with making my own mixes, anyone had a go with this type of brew?

Lame question I know, but I don't wan't to waste my time if it's going to go nowhere....

i just jacked paint thinnner and lacka thinner last night and i was wondering if any of you fellas got a simple recipe like *somthing* and paint thinner, or *somthing* and lacka thinner things i can buy at home depot or somthing and just add it to my emty kiwi mop bottle.

i was wondering if "odds and ends" can do it?

yo nerve about that powdered chalk i been meaning to fuck with that shit cuz in my art class they had some and i was reading the tube an shit an it was saying that certain colors are maad permanent like i think the colors were blue, red, and the fluorescent colors. i dont know what brand it was or anything so sorry about that but im not sure how to use it besides just making chalk with it

Originally posted by TeezerPHM@Dec 2 2005, 01:28 PM

yo nerve about that powdered chalk i been meaning to fuck with that shit cuz in my art class they had some and i was reading the tube an shit an it was saying that certain colors are maad permanent like i think the colors were blue, red, and the fluorescent colors. i dont know what brand it was or anything so sorry about that but im not sure how to use it besides just making chalk with it

yo T, i was at work and i had to refill a line with some chalk (that dark blue ground chalk) and an idea struck me. i would put it in an ink or maybe a paint mix (for some reason i suspect ink would work better). but anyway, funds and times are tight right now so i cant really afford to do much expirimenting. so if anyone has tried this or is interested in giving it a try then let me know whats up. peace

Originally posted by rubbish heap@Dec 2 2003, 07:33 PM

The other ink recipe threads are dying, and nobody wants to read through 10 pages to find what they want. Therefore I decided to start a new one. This thread is intended for those who don't know much about ink to start learning. I'm giving it my best shot to answer all of your questions.

Now, lets take a primer in Ink 101.

INK VS. PAINT

There's two main things you can use as a base for your recipe: inks/dyes, or bucket paint. Ink and bucket paint do not mix with each other.

If you're into getting custom colors that no one else has, get yourself some small containers of bucket paint. Two recommended brands are Rustoleum and One-Shot. While most people have heard of Rusto and know of it for its thickness, One Shot is less well known but has a lot of nice colors and comes out super glossy or metallic. Sign painters use it for their work; it's tough shit and it contains lead, so be careful. Bucket paint is not as permanent as a lot of inks, and really does not stain too well at all, but it usually will not weather away quickly and is still slightly hard to buff. Make sure you get oil-based. You can't put paint in most markers, so it's recommended that you put it in a mop, preferably a Kiwi. If you want more drips, be sure to thin out the paint with mineral spirits. Do NOT thin with xylene if your mop is plastic, as xylene eats plastic away.

Onto the inks. If you're into shit that stains hard, love the colors black and/or violet, and want your shit to last long and sink deep into the surface, this is the shit for you. Pretty much every ink is alcohol based, as is leather dye. Marsh ink is about the most well known in the US. In my experiences, it's not that much different from Pilot ink, though a little more expensive and slightly harder to buff (but it's not going to make much of a difference). Anyways, ink looks good on a wall, flows well through the marker, and is relatively hard to buff, but usually won't stain hard or leave a ghost. Now, on to leather dye. This is the shit when it comes to nice colors, leaving a nasty stain, and being some of the hardest shit to buff. So why don't you just use leather dye as ink and leave out the Marsh/Pilot ink? Well, truth is, it looks like fucking water color paint when applied to a wall, and it doesn't flow as well. You gotta mix it with ink. Some popular brands are Griffin, which you can find at Walgreens, and Fiebing's. The hardest staining colors made by Fiebing's are violet and red. Be very careful when handling this shit - if it drips anywhere in the house, it's damn hard to clean off. Now on to brake fluid. Why do people use brake fluid in there recipes ? Brake fluid is corrossive and eats through paint and into the wall, kind of like what etch does to glass, except not as permanent. Anyways, it's good stuff. You can find it at Walgreens, also. Make sure you get DOT3 and don't add too much into your recipe.

Now, the recipes.

NUMBER ONE : HARD STAINING HOME MADE INK

Get a jar. Put in either Pilot ink or Marsh as your base, and add some Griffin, less than or equal to the amount of Pilot. Now get some Fiebing's leather dye, and add it to the batch, preferably red or purple, as they stain the hardest. Next, get some brake fluid, and give a generous amount - not too little, but definitely not too much as it will affect the flow. Mix that shit around. You can also try boiling them together and then using a thinner, as they'll thicken when heated. Personally, I've never tried heating / boiling any of my inks. If you want, you can try adding Gentian Violet or Methylene Blue (the additive).

Next, put it in your marker. Let's pretend you have a Pilot, since they're the easiest to refill and one of the best markers around. Simply unscrew the top, and drop some ink in there until it's slightly overflowing above the cotton. Now, screw the top back on, open the marker and let the ink drop through the nib and land back into the jar. This will get the nib nice and juicey. You can also put this into a mop. This shit is going to stain hard and leave a ghost once its buffed, so the only way to really get rid of it is paint over it (and certain things just don't get painted over, signs for instance).

NUMBER TWO : HOME MADE KRINK

This ones for homemade Krink. Krink is a recipe made by KR from New York ; you can buy his shit off http://www.fourthehardway.com or get more info at http://www.krink.com . He charges 15 bucks ; if you want to know the exact proportions to the recipe, buy some and let the ingrediants settle over time and seperate. Anyways, this is some of the easiest shit to make yourself at home. First, get some Rusto Aluminum paint. Its nice and silver. Next get some Paint thinner. Mix it to whatever proportion you want - the more thinner, the more drippy. You can also add a little bit of brake fluid, for staining power, and aluminum dust for shines.

CHAPSTICK MARKER RECIPE

This is a recipe I typed awhile back in the Tools of the Trade thread.

586256_1848702380118416111_vl.jpgWHAT YOU WILL NEED:

- Chapstick container.

- Pilot ink, or whatever you prefer.

- A candle and matches.

- A felt chalk board eraser.

- An eyedropper (comes with Pilot ink).

1. Get the chapstick container, empty out the chapstick and clean out the container.

2. Melt some wax into it from the candle, so that the bottom is sealed and won't leak any ink.

3. Put in your ink of choice with the eyedropper. i used pilot because it's cheap and flows fine.

3. Get the felt eraser. Rip off one of the strips. cut it about 1/4. Shove that bit into the container, just make sure you can get the cap back on.

4. Finally, get the eyedropper back out and drip some ink onto the nib until it becomes juicy. After that you're ready to go. When the nib gets dry, rejuice it with the eye dropper and ink.

Any questions are welcome. I'm constantly answering them and editing the front page to contain more information.

and aluminum dust for shines

where can you get that ?...

unless theres a bus system in your little town dont even worry about candy. if you dont know what candy ink is in my city, i dont wanna see your shit on the panels anyway...i know what candy is and where to get it, but id rather use my personal favorite

just take some griffin or some shoe polish and throw in some brake fluid, throw it in a zig...that will stain fine for now

Originally posted by CACashRefund@Dec 12 2005, 02:32 PM

yeah the fiebings i know about that shit, i was looking into ordering some.

was that the one you had in the maney looking ultra with two colors, the green and blue one?

hell yea niggas were droolin over that ultra....i found brand new bottles of feibings in my old desk today, blue, red purple, green, so i juiced up an ultra and hit some 38s, you wanna rock some panels get at me

Guest Sparoism

FIEBING'S, NIGGAS!!!

It's the only way to go if you are on a budget.

USMC black. Don't look back.

Still waiting on my candy ink, Cash...hahaha...it's cool, how's you're homie doing?

I figured out why Garvey doesn't run like the candy, BTW...I had no idea that candy ink was made like that. Definitely on my short list of things to get in the future.

Specialty ink is the new black/pink/white/flavor of the week.

Too bad it's so damn hard to find....wonk saggin.