INK RECIPE SUPERTHREAD

rubbish heap

i just got some leather dye and this pink dye powder stuff? what should i add to the leather dye? and for the pink dye , should i add just half the water that it says so it comes out darker? that wat i heard, but what else should i put in there? brake fluid?

picture2005bm.jpg

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by snake_tooth@Jan 1 2006, 04:14 AM

i jus got methylene blue, is that any good? its the liquid form and i have no idea how much to put in.

where can you get pp from? and do these additives give of poisonous fumes or anything?

oh yer an can you mix mb and pp together, and if you can will it do much difference.

u can get pp from the chemist..

Originally posted by Sparoism+Dec 21 2005, 12:59 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sparoism - Dec 21 2005, 12:59 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-i_write@Dec 21 2005, 01:37 AM

i find a quick and easy way to make a good ink is blacktop and acetone ( nail polish remover ) blacktop alone is hard 2 buff . and acetone will make it dry faster ..

And it doesn't turn the ink to jelly? This has happened to me with blacktop/different additives.

I gotta try that. I like that stuff.

Wow, things have changed...now I'm the one finding things out!

[/b]

you say you used blacktop but i was wondering if any1 new anything bout using normal montana paint with any substances.PM me or just post it in the thread will be well appreciated.peace..

Originally posted by i_write+Jan 1 2006, 06:53 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (i_write - Jan 1 2006, 06:53 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-snake_tooth@Jan 1 2006, 04:14 AM

i jus got methylene blue, is that any good? its the liquid form and i have no idea how much to put in.

where can you get pp from? and do these additives give of poisonous fumes or anything?

oh yer an can you mix mb and pp together, and if you can will it do much difference.

[/b]

what do i say its for?

ay REMIK, when i got that powder dye, i just dropped that shit by itself straight up into the ink. then i added nail polish remover and dot3 all into sanford black ink. then again, i got a darker color, not pink so i would suggest you mix that pink dye into some brighter color. havent tried my ink in a marker yet, but i plan to do so soon. but by the way the ink looks in that water bottle...

makes me wanna drink it. :)

Originally posted by wordsworth@Jan 2 2006, 12:10 AM

has anyone noticed wen u use the mineral spirits ona aluminum rusto bucket paint it takes out the shine out of the paint ??

yer its jus thinning out the paint so it will loose some of its colour, if you use the paint from spray cans you dont need to thin it so it will styill be shiney.

anyway back to methylene blue, have i wasted my money buying it? its a diluted version for fish.

and is pp harmfull. does it give of poisonous fumes and what happens if you get it on your hands? i read that you have to get medical attention if that happens.

Originally posted by flip words@Jan 1 2006, 04:35 PM

ay REMIK, when i got that powder dye, i just dropped that shit by itself straight up into the ink. then i added nail polish remover and dot3 all into sanford black ink. then again, i got a darker color, not pink so i would suggest you mix that pink dye into some brighter color. havent tried my ink in a marker yet, but i plan to do so soon. but by the way the ink looks in that water bottle...

let me know, I have black and navy so it dosnt matter about the color. Tell me about how it comes out and if it is hard to buff. I plan on mixing it with some carbon ink, dot 3 and maybe some alcohol

Originally posted by snake_tooth+Jan 2 2006, 04:57 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snake_tooth - Jan 2 2006, 04:57 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by i_write@Jan 1 2006, 06:53 AM

<!--QuoteBegin-snake_tooth@Jan 1 2006, 04:14 AM

what do i say its for?

[/b]

well i was reading a few pages back, and shai said you can just say its for cleaning out particals in your fishtank..

and for the guy who asked about fumes and stains.. i dont remember smelling any fumes.. its just purple crystals.. and also, it leaves a BROWN mark on your hands if it gets into contact with it.. im not sure if you need medical assistance though

Guest Sparoism

PP is an oxidizer (read this before you use it) and is somewhat hazardous. That's why it's used to clean fishtanks. Other oxidizers are bleach and hydrogen peroxide, for example, so whatever common-sense measures you would us to handle typical household chemicals should be adequate.

And, if you do use PP, wear gloves. I wouldn't worry about other stains (methylene blue and gentian violet) as much as the solution it's in. Read the labels first and see what you are indirectly exposing yourself to, and use whatever precautions are listed on the container.

Obviously, "don't eat it" would be a good rule of thumb. Also, outdoor use is smarter than using it in your bedroom.

cheers for that, after i read about pp on jtbaker.com i was scared to use it because it says "seek medical attention" of it gets on your skin etc. and that it is highly reactive, so i didnt want to mix it with anything incase it caught fire. is it safe to mix with fiebings and grog etc?

ok i jus read that site and this struck me:

"This capacity to provide excess oxygen at elevated temperatures makes these chemicals a fire and explosion hazard when they come in contact with all forms of combustibles (wood, paper, textiles, plastics, etc.)."

doesnt this mean if you write on plastic it will start to react, or even react with the actual pen which is plastic.

Guest Sparoism

It only acts as an accelerant if the object reaches the combustion point...just like gunpowder, it's relatively stable when it's dry and cool, but if you heat it.....whoosh. The shit burns fast, too- we did an experiment with it in one of my chemistry labs.

You know, that experiment involved a volatile compound (gasoline)....ink is volatile, or at least the solvents in ink are...shoot, that's a hard call. I've never heard of PP and ink reacting, but there's always a first time. If you still want to try it, do it outside and have a bucket of sand or dirt (NOT water) handy in case anything starts smoking. If you REALLY want to be safe, do this- take a plastic spoon, and tape it to the end of a pole. Pour a little of the ink you're planning to use in a glass jar. Put a pinch of PP in the spoon, and use your now extra-long handled spoon to pour the PP into the jar, and hope for the best. If it starts smoking right away, put it out with your handy Bucket O' Sand. If it doesn't react, then touch the jar to check for heat- in my experience, oxidizers tend to react REALLY fast, or not at all....I would check the heat just to make sure, though. If it's cool, take a brush and test the ink out. Don't quote me on this, but there's a chance the ink may NOT work as well if the PP somehow chemically breaks down the solvent. Just a thought.....

BTW, I wouldn't recommend doing anything with oxidants unless I was 110% sure of the outcome...but if the suspense is killing you, I think the above steps cover most of the possible risks I could forsee, but I still think you would be better off if you refrained from Home Chemistry 101.

If anyone has anything to add to this, feel free.

Thanks for that, im gonna read up more on the subject. I think when internet sites etc talk about pp (and other chemicals) they put down the worse things that can happen, even if its very unlikely it will ever happen to you. . . i thin they do this for legal reasons, so if someone gets a rash from touching it they can say that they stated it on the bottle...if you get what i mean.

the two things that im worried about are 1, if its going to give of poisonous fumes when mixed with inks and 2, whether or not i actually need to go to the docters everytime abit of ink spills on me.

also, here is a pic of the mthylene blue i got, is this any good or have i just watsed my money.

740870-thumb.jpg

Originally posted by flip words@Jan 1 2006, 04:35 PM

i dont got no ink :( ima rack some glosy or flat white rusto bucket paint (Oil based) and throw the powder in there then add some dot 3 and thinner ill tell u how it turns out when i get the paint

Originally posted by MSFYT@Dec 31 2005, 04:06 AM

i made some ink today and i added brake fluid would it eat thru a plastic container?

are you really msfyt from bombing science? or just some one messing around?

but no, break fluid wont eat through a plastic container if its mixed with paint/ink :king:

and you cant do any thing to me on here :king: :king: only joking

Originally posted by eightball@Jan 4 2006, 11:03 AM

wat can i mix with spray paint so i can put it in a mop

sum1 elp me out on dis..

ok firsttly, you dont need to mix anyhting.. just leave it to sit in a bowl or glass jar for a few hours.. and secondly, id be thinking you dont mind if your clothes get dots of paint onthem while your using that, or u carry a bottle of methelated spirits because thats what ur gona need to clean the shit off your clothes

Originally posted by LEFTone@Jan 4 2006, 03:30 PM

i just read peroxide and bleach are oxidizers do they affect permancee or how ever you say it?

im not sure about peroxide, but bleach wont do anything unless you get PROPER bleach, like non dilated, then that can eat through street signs, or after its buffed the sign will have no color where u used it.. try bleach your clothes and tell me what happens :haha: