INK RECIPE SUPERTHREAD

rubbish heap

Originally posted by OMEN TWO

The replacement nibs came from art primo. I called them and they sold me the original nibs that come with the minis. They pulled them out and put in the new type nibs and sold me the old skool ones.

i've never seen any replacement nibs on primo before. thats phat that they hooked you up. is there a big difference between the old and new mini wide nibs? i still have an old one in my mini.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by rubbish heap

is there any noticeable difference between the t-grade pigment (paint type) and the dye type inks?

To be honest....I prefer the dye type ink. Because, it is thinner and more drippy....But the paint type ink will last for years if you tag outside with it...it won't fade for shit....it does drip....just not as runny as the dye type.

I didn't mean to add to your ink, I meant to smear over your tag.

Either way, it's not my secret weapon, nor did I think up of it myself.

ahh. understood. but does that actually work? what does it do? just prevent the paint from going over it? not that i want to stand around smearing vaseline everytime i hit up...

Originally posted by macksimum

ahh. understood. but does that actually work? what does it do? just prevent the paint from going over it? not that i want to stand around smearing vaseline everytime i hit up...

Yeah, prevents paint from covering the surface just like anti-graff coating. Honestly, I've never even been that interested to try it myself but its worth a try.

To be honest....I prefer the dye type ink. Because, it is thinner and more drippy....But the paint type ink will last for years if you tag outside with it...it won't fade for shit....it does drip....just not as runny as the dye type.

Sounds like they're both quality inks in their own way. I have the dye type, and it flows pretty much the best and has the opaqueness you'd expect from Marsh, but it's roughly as permanent as Pilot ink and leaves no ghosts. I think I'm going to get some pigment type soon - I use markers way more than mops so drips aren't as much of a concern for me.

Originally posted by rinse

i've never seen any replacement nibs on primo before. thats phat that they hooked you up. is there a big difference between the old and new mini wide nibs? i still have an old one in my mini.

They sell the replacement nibs at art primo...they cost a $1.49 each, they don't have them on their web page...you simply have to call them and place the order....They hooked me up with the old skool ones because I spend a lot of money with them and I am cool with them...they most likely won't sell you the original ones...they only have the new ones. They just did me that favor. But, with the new kind you can soften them up by taking a somewhat large hypodermic needle and start stabbing it on the top of the nib once it is in the mini....you just keep stabbing it and it will be just like the old ones...you have to stab it from the top of the nib though.

They are holding about 10 more mini wides for me...I wrote them this weekend.....I might sell them on ebay for a starting price at 10 bucks.

I think that is a fair price....I will wait till there is no more around.

Originally posted by chumbawumba

Fuck I really wish I got a few mini wides before they stopped making them :( If anyone is willing to sell ONE I will be extremely interested.

man, i never liked ultras or minis...i guess the handstyles ive developed just dont go with them...but i do love what other people put up while using them. they can be super fun if youre in a fan kinda mood but i always fucked up the nibs whenever i was trying to hit up anything other than panels or other supersmooth surfaces. i also jock drips hard so they were never quite juicy enough for me.

They sell the replacement nibs at art primo...they cost a $1.49 each, they don't have them on their web page...you simply have to call them and place the order....They hooked me up with the old skool ones because I spend a lot of money with them and I am cool with them...they most likely won't sell you the original ones...they only have the new ones. They just did me that favor. But, with the new kind you can soften them up by taking a somewhat large hypodermic needle and start stabbing it on the top of the nib once it is in the mini....

yea, thats nice that you got the hook-up. sooo, the main difference between the new and old nibs is that the new ones are more stiff and dont provide a good ink flow? i wish i would have known that even the nibs were different. its probably impossible to find the old nibs now. hey omen duex... if you want to sell a brother a single old school mini nib, give me a price but if i was you i wouldnt come off those nibs. i'm going fishing for some right about now. i think i know where to find some of the old nibs before there all gone.

man, i never liked ultras or minis...i guess the handstyles ive developed just dont go with them...but i do love what other people put up while using them. they can be super fun if youre in a fan kinda mood but i always fucked up the nibs whenever i was trying to hit up anything other than panels or other supersmooth surfaces. i also jock drips hard so they were never quite juicy enough for me.

i dont know man, if you give those mini's a gentle squeeze when you write, your handstyles will drown in ink. my mini is my favorite tool.

Ultras are a little too wide....But, I can use them, I just need large areas to use them....But, the miniwide is the best marker ever made....I have been using them since the 70's, So, I can really write well with them...my handstlye flows well. As far as messing up the tips...you carry more than one type of marker for different surfaces....miniwides worked very well on the insides of subway cars....But, I will was always a mop fiend....I like fat drippy tags. But, miniwides are the joint.

I would not recommend them for inexperienced writers or toys or people with awkward hand styles

I have the new nibs on my mini wides and I don't really mind them ; they're stiff and all, but I only write on smooth surfaces with that pen anyway so it doesn't make as much of a difference to me.

The new stiff ones are very easy to soften up and have ink flow through them, like the old skool ones...like I said, use the needle that is used for injecting ink for printer ink, put your nib in the mini and start jabbing the top of the nib with the needle...keep the syringe part on so it acts like a handle for the needle.....in a short while, it will be just like the old skool ones.

so what was the name of the company that original made the mini's? wasnt it in st paul or somewhere close to there? i cant remember the name or location.

They were not made in the USA, they are made in china and were sold through American companies...I took off all those stickers that are on my minis with lighter fluid...I prefer them without those tacky stickers.

When, I was getting them 20 years ago...they never had those stickers.

I think they were distributed through a few American companies.

They still produce ultrawides because the machine that makes them still works and they get distributed to all different companies...they ultras shell even come in blue, black, green, white and of course gray now. They are sold by urban designz and have a sticker that says City Wide on them...they also sell minis and ultras at 4 THE HARD WAY and it has a sticker that says THE VAPORS PROJECT on them...So, they definitely come from Asia and different American companies distro them.

damn, i wish i could remember the name of the distro company. the sticker on my mini is faded and covered in ink spills. tomorrow i am gonna try to get a few oldschool nibs through this art supply guy that has hooked up in the past. it would help to know the name of the old supplier, even if their out of business now.

Originally posted by completionz

Does anyone know what the right types of chemicals to buy on sciencelab.com are? I've found potassium perm and methylene but it doesn't say if its a powder or not and i just dont know.

also where do you get aluminum dust at? or where to get corio, at online?

Just buy Garvey....don't waste your time with bullshit.

GARVEY INK CLICK HER...THE ANSEWR TO EVERYTHING!!

Originally posted by completionz

Does anyone know what the right types of chemicals to buy on sciencelab.com are? I've found potassium perm and methylene but it doesn't say if its a powder or not and i just dont know.

also where do you get aluminum dust at? or where to get corio, at online?

Make sure you have a credit card if you're ordering off sciencelab.com. Dry stains are powders; if it says a percentage, like 2%, it's a liquid. Aqueous also means liquid. If it's selling in gram quantities it's probably powder.

If you want to get Corio, the easiest way would be to find someone in Europe who has it, and trade with them. I do not know of any online stores that ship to the US that carry it...

Different names on ultra/miniwides (stickers)...showing that it comes from different distro compinies.

http://www.fourthehardway.com/images/mini_wide_m.jpg'>

http://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/5462/2h/urbandesignz.safeshopper.com/images/bv0watxi.jpg'>

Note;

The ultrawides do not have the soft old school nibs. they come with those stiff white nibs at urban designs.

Below is a good site to get your O.T.R flow pens, etc;

ON THE RUN MARKERS....BEST SITE FOR THE BEST PRICES ON OTR MARKERS

UP ON THE LEFT OF THE HOME PAGE CLICK ON LCP WAREHOUSE AND CHOOSE MARKERS AND INKS AND CLICK ON...OTR MARKERS.

THEY ALSO SELL OTHER COOL STUFF. THEY HAVE GOOD PRICES... I BOUGHT EVERY OTR MARKER THEY HAVE....AND A FEW EXTRA OF THE GOOD COLORS.

IF YOU NOTICE THEY ONLY CHARGE $3.50 FOR THEIR MINI FLOW OR PAINT MARKERS.

URBAN DESIGNZ RIPS YOU OFF BY CHARGING $5.95 FOR THEIR MINI FLOW PENS OR MINI PAINT MARKRES...THAT IS ALMOST 6 FUCKING BUCKS FOR A MINI OTR...WHAT A SCAM....STICK WITH LIQUIDCRACK FOR YOUR OTR PENS

rubbish... did i read somewhere in this beast of a thread that gentian violet comes in a concentrate powder form? i thought you mentioned it in a post, but looking back through i cant seem to find it.

i thought it was only available as a solvent.

rubbish... did i read somewhere in this beast of a thread that gentian violet comes in a concentrate powder form? i thought you mentioned it in a post, but looking back through i cant seem to find it.

i thought it was only available as a solvent.

Yeah, it comes in powder, the purest form :crazy:

edit: this thread has been crazy lately... we're about to hit page 15.

Guest sneak

rubbish or omen...

either of you up for sending some different shit across the pond? i can get corio and am interested in this garvey thing..

anywho, drop me an email and im sure we can come up with something...

damn the C.V. POWDER is mad expensive.

$12+ for 10g. it would be cheaper just to buy some garvey.

really rubbish, have you ever bought this stuff? is it worth it? i mean is there that much of a difference between that and G.V. SOLUTION?

if it is worth while and you know where to get it cheaper, it would be chill if you could e-mail me a hint. mas apologies if it seems i'm all on your ass about this but i am trying to mix a true monster ink and i dont want it to cost a fortune. just looking for some compedent advice but the recipe is original.

respect to those deep-rooted

damn the C.V. POWDER is mad expensive.

$12+ for 10g. it would be cheaper just to buy some garvey.

really rubbish, have you ever bought this stuff? is it worth it? i mean is there that much of a difference between that and G.V. SOLUTION?

if it is worth while and you know where to get it cheaper, it would be chill if you could e-mail me a hint. mas apologies if it seems i'm all on your ass about this but i am trying to mix a true monster ink and i dont want it to cost a fortune. just looking for some compedent advice but the recipe is original.

respect to those deep-rooted

WHY WASTE TIME MIXING POWDERS OR MIXING THIS OR THAT?

IT JUST DOES NOT MAKE SENSE. BECAUSE NO MATTER WHAT YOU MIX UP, YOU WON'T GET A BETTER PRODUCT THAN VIOLET GARVEY...IT IS CHEAPER THAN MOST INKS ($15.99 FOR A PINT).

IT STAINS LIKE A MOTHERFUCKER, IT DRIPS LIKE A MOTHERFUCKER (IF YOU LIKE DRIPS) IT HAS A GREAT ELECTRIC DEEP PURPLE LOOK. YOU CAN'T BUFF IT ON MOST SURFACES AND IT IS A BITCH TO EVEN GET OFF GLASS AND METALS.

SO, INSTEAD OF SPENDING MORE MONEY ON THIS AND THAT AND HOPE YOU COME OUT WITH SOMETHING BETTER THAN GARVEY.

JUST GET GARVEY, THAT WAY YOU DON'T WASTE TIME, MONEY AND MAKE A MESS FOR INK THAT WILL NOT BE AS GOOD AS GARVEY.

ASK ANYONE WHO USES GARVEY AND THEY WILL TELL YOU IT IS THE INK OF INKS!

I AM SORRY FOR PREACHING ABOUT IT SO MUCH...I JUST HATE TO SEE PEOPLE WASTE THEIR TIME AND MONEY ON BULLSHIT!

i gotta question about marsh - how do you know which is the dye and which is the opaque? i got a pint off of bombing science, but don't know which it is. the label certainly doesn't give any clues. i presume it's the opaque marsh - it's thicker than any ink i have and it warps plastic