models... not super

When

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Ko SprueOne said:

Hellz yeah. Do that. What approx scale or size are you thinking?

Lego minifigure scale... which is to say, not to any true scale. 

Size wise, however, like 3x4' base and 3' tall is where I like to set my "mega mocs" at.

I am currently amassing pieces to build a tropical volcano island and pirate shipwreck scene. Had planned to display it at Brickfair Virginia in July/August, but at this point everything for 2020 is cancelled, which is okay, next year means more time to build even more details into it. 

• Truth 1

So the process I've developed over the last several  years of showing big builds starts with a box size based on lego baseplate dimensions, 10x10."  So I have boxes that are about 11x21 with varying depths to allow the final build to break down into much smaller and manageable pieces. As such, I only build with Lego. Using technic pieces and more of the "locking" type parts I wind up with a fairly "engineered" (generous use of the term) structure so it can handle being moved around, driving 500 miles on who knows what kind of roads, carried up stairs, pulled on dollies, etc.

Once I'm at the show the more fragile pieces and the real details--placement of plants, minifigures, etc will get put in place. Reassembly for a big moc can take a ton of time, depending how organized you are or are not. 

Some people incorporate other stuff into their structure, some of the REALLY big things wind up with steel reinforcements. There are purists, which I sort of am, and there are people who think rules negate the fun of what you're doing as an adult playing with a child's toy, anyhow.

I'm also really inspired by the art for the game "Old Man's Journey" and would like to figure out a way to build in a way to pay homage to it. It's a very clip art, layered paper approach, which seems challenging for the medium, but potentially really cool. 

Games We Need: Old Man's Journey – Screen Therapy

Old Man's Journey - Review - Cannonicity

@Ko SprueOnethat model finally came in. Theres some clean up at the mold injection sites and a lot of the posts need to be trimmed down so the pieces will sit flush. There are no instructions on where the pieces go so there was a lot dry fitting and picture reference from the online images. There is one piece I cant figure out where it goes. But that being said the detail is all there. Its nice. I'll post some pictures for detail and model size in just a little bit.

• Like 1
  • Props 1

After trimming the 'pour gates' away from the parts you should wash all the parts. They most likely have most a release agent on them. The caster does this to ease removal from the molds and the molds will last longer.

I use Bestine (rubber cement solvent) for resin but it has strong fumes for indoors. You can also use denatured alcohol, less fumes. 

After that dries. Prime with acrylic lacquer aerosol.

• Like 1
  • Props 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...