models... not super

When

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i'm just starting sorta simple with some old cool cars i hope to someday own. first up is an '86 monte carlo ss. i'll post pics when it's done if i don't butcher it.

as for the aoshima delorean model, here are a few decent pictures of how some of the pieces look

http://www.automotiveforums.com/t668341-aoshima_delorean_back_to_the_future_i_.html

AUDI 5k, thanks for the kind words. This is a first in a series of combat military engineering vehicles. The next one may be a little less dramatic because it's a hydraulic arm on the back of a HMMWV platform

evilone666, those are very nice. I've seen this work online before. Kris Kuksi also loves Soviet/Russian armor

yeah, no prob with the show picture posts

the hobby brand paints in the little cans are usually either enamel or acrylic lacquer. The same enamel bases as the 10 - 12 oz spray can brands that we have at the house. This is good for base coat colors

also depends on the project; car, military vehicle, sci-fi, rail road rolling stock, etc...

you can spray from the can or decant it into a cup for an airbrush application

the plastic that model kits are made of will accept enamels without melt or damage. If you use lacquer from hobby brands or automotive brands spray cans, then spray light coats of primer first and always stay with the same base system through out

this can go on and on. If you have any specific questions just ask here

im gonna post pics of the car im finishing up tonight hopefully, but for the body i used the model master brand lacquer. the 3oz can cost me almost 7 bucks. i sprayed it in thin layers, then clear coated it the next day. i suppose it looks alright but i would just be surprised if an enamel for a fraction of the cost (or just rusto i already have) wouldn't look just as good. i'll try it out next time and compare. thanks for the help though once again!

also, the model glue i was using was actually eating some of the paint off certain areas. nothing visible since whatever i was gluing would cover it up, but i thought it was kinda weird anyway..

yup that's about the average price

lacquer base colors for model cars is the best option for that shiny new look

if this is your usual subject, then go to your local auto parts store and look at their Dupli-Color and Plasticote color selections. Those are usually an acrylic lacquer base unless otherwise labeled. Also get some of the primer of the lacquer base system. You can work in layers and wet sand the clear coats. If you use this base system, then lightly mist on the primer in light layers so it will not devour your styrene plastic kit body

you never want to use this paint over an enamel base coat or primer system because it will eat into the previous coat(s) and ruin all your work

YES where are those progress (WIP) pics!?!

I wasn't sure if i was gonna post these progress pics of this '86 monte carlo ss im almost done with, it's a bit rough looking compared to all the other pro built stuff in here hah. haven't built any kind of model since i was about 10. anyway, fuck it, here it is so far..

IMG_2036.jpg

IMG_2041.jpg

IMG_2045.jpg

IMG_2047.jpg

IMG_2048.jpg

IMG_2049.jpg

IMG_2051.jpg

IMG_2052.jpg

definitely wish i made the interior a darker brown, i feel like it clashes too much with the red. anyway, tried to model the paint job after this:

chevrolet-monte-carlo-35.jpg

• Like 1

Mr. I,

That Monte looks pretty fckin good

the engine and body paint detail for sure

look at one of my first cars. Didn't even keep the paint in the head lights and tail lights or paint the interior details like the seat belts...

it's all fun though, hobby, a time to wind down from the other sht

th_Monogram_CopOut_boxart.jpg.4e7c77a99cc2b634e13ef93dfa952db1.jpg

th_Monogram_CopOut_engine.jpg.20bb096ad52c5c875b396755d8a3b4cf.jpg

th_Monogram_CopOut_tailgate.jpg.865483309bede699661c58fd5e929b51.jpg

th_Monogram_CopOut_grille.jpg.3c8c4301dfe41704b19c0d5e811861e9.jpg

th_Monogram_CopOut_funnycar.jpg.8e6966357a9d7fe08f450968452de6e5.jpg

th_Monogram_CopOut_seatdetail.jpg.8ec7fbd88078e036f69228458cb27ecd.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

just picked this up at a bargain outlet for 40 bucks!

lindberg-graf-zeppelin.jpg

pretty stoked about it being that cheap, i've seen it retail anywhere from 80 to 175 bucks. apparently there was a fire in some warehouse in CA that caused a bunch of these and other lindberg models to have "minor smoke damage" to the boxes, so this bargain outlet bought them all and is selling them for around 60% off.