The Photography Thread

MrChupacabra

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
I watched that documentary, it made a lot of people really angry at him.

Really? I didn't know that. Why were people mad? Do you have any links that I could read about this myself? I thought it was a fantastic documentary. I'd like to know what kind of film he shoots with ... especially his color photos.

On a completely different subject, I bought a 160 Gig external hard drive couple of days ago to backup all my photos (and music). If you have not done something similar, I highly recommend that you do so. I got mine for 'round $100 at that huge electronics store (you know the one), and it might possibly be the best investment I've made in a looooooong time. Do yourself a favor, gang.

More inspiration:

Chase Jarvis's Blog - Watch the TECH and RAW videos first (there's some great stuff in there), then soak up as much information as you can from the rest of the blog (take special note of the posts that have to do with copyright stuff ... Mr. Jarvis was instrumental in a recent court ruling that gives photographers a legal leg to stand on when a company screws them over). Chase Jarvis is one of the most successful self taught commercial photographers in America. Think about this, his first "real" gig was a nation wide campaign for outdoor giant REI. I love this guy. He worked his ass off to get to the top, and now that he's there he is totally willing to share everything he learned along the way with aspiring photographers. Unity. Community. Respect. Isn't that how everything should be?

note: I'm a little drunk right now. sorry for rambling.

Also, I'm tentatively planning on a trip to Chicago in April. Gonna go to a couple of shows and visit my brother and a few friends. I'll probably be there for 5-7 days, so if anybody in the area (or anyone else that wants to sync up a vacation) would like to get together to shoot I'd love to hear from you. You can drop me a line via PM or my Flickr mail. 20 eyes, if you can make it out there, I could take you to tons of awesome vegan eateries.

Yo!

Thanks for the welcomes back! I got to change my username though. My old one was Mr.Brick and Brickone is some writer in Australia.

The spherical one is a basic photostitch.

Here is how you do an image like that:

1. take any image that is a 2:1 or 3:1 aspect ratio (you can crop a single image if you want)

2. stretch that bitch! lets say your image is 2000x768. You want to stretch the smallest part out. Make sure you uncheck constrain proportions so you end up with an image that is 2000x2000.

3. ROTATE THE IMAGE 180 DEGREES!

if you don't hilter will smack you.

or the little planet will stretch around the outside, and not in the center. (which can be cool too).

4. I hate photoshop filters. They are garbage. Don't ever use them ever.

Having said that...

Use the polar co-ordinates filter (in distortion i think). Check out the settings. You can get some cool effects out of this.

5. The middle of your image is going to be all pinched and gross. so fix it. When I take these photos and I usually snap a few that are straight down(ish) in a few directions so that fixing the middle will be easier.

File sizes can get huge, so look out.

and yes- the construction images are HDR. I prefer HDR's toned down and not too crazy.

and yes- the construction images are HDR. I prefer HDR's toned down and not too crazy.

yea. toned down is better. i've been noticing alot of hdr in popular magazine photography lately.

what i don't like about hdr is it can be used as a photography trick. it tricks whomever into believing that a bad photograph is interesting because some visual trick was applied.

not saying this about yours, but it is my response to most hdr imagery i've seen.

I can't remember where I heard this, but recently it was said that "HDR is the new MTV."

I think it can be an effective tool if used correctly, but most people get a little too wild with it. Just because you can ... doesn't mean you should.

Yous are nice though, brick. Subtle.

On a completely different subject, I bought a 160 Gig external hard drive couple of days ago to backup all my photos (and music). If you have not done something similar, I highly recommend that you do so. I got mine for 'round $100 at that huge electronics store (you know the one), and it might possibly be the best investment I've made in a looooooong time. Do yourself a favor, gang.

I agree.

I've got two 250GB LaCie drives. One backs up the other, just in case.

Also, I'm tentatively planning on a trip to Chicago in April. Gonna go to a couple of shows and visit my brother and a few friends. I'll probably be there for 5-7 days, so if anybody in the area (or anyone else that wants to sync up a vacation) would like to get together to shoot I'd love to hear from you. You can drop me a line via PM or my Flickr mail. 20 eyes, if you can make it out there, I could take you to tons of awesome vegan eateries.

dang dude, that sounds awesome. i am going to be on tour again in april and will be going through chicago. maybe you'll be in town then and we can hang. and i'm sure we'll be going to texas again if not. i can let you know what's up when then dates are posted cause i don't know anything.

and brick, good call on the HDR shots. they look really awesome not so "in your face." if you know what i mean.

yeah that contra costa rock park is a different one down below, right up solano if you're going up to the tunnel, it's the last left and up that street.

i know what you're saying about indian rock though, that place is the shit, but a lot of people go up there these days

i started looking for other places to chill with a view that wasn't as crowded

have you heard of any of the others? if you haven't then you're missing out man, there's tons of rocks in berkeley- there's grotto, contra costa, remillard, cragmont, great stoneface, all of them are fuckin great