The Photography Thread

MrChupacabra

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by colt45oe800@Feb 7 2005, 01:45 AM

Nice shot's Phunk i've been shooting the same subjects recently

except mine dont look as good. i've been focusing on broken signs

Gnome great shots.

thanks colt. :)

nice shots of The Bay yeaaaah baby.

here's one from this past summer...

bee19py.jpg

looks like some of the posts were lost.

anyways, the PPA came to my door today, with $44 in customs fees!!!!!!!! what'd you declare it as, and how much $$$ did you put it's worth at? did you mark it as a gift?

i didn't have the cash on me right now so it's going to the post office. i'll pick it up later today...but this really blows, i'm pretty much broke. and then i gotta pay shipping.... :(

symbols -

amazing pics.

i was thinking of getting some underwater housing for my cam, now im seriously checking prices for an up and coming holiday! (underwater housing no good generally for UK!) .....or is that a a good cam and a nice salt water fish setup?! cheers!

new cam, new shutter speeds.....

newcool1small.jpg

Originally posted by hyrax@Feb 15 2005, 02:31 PM

looks like some of the posts were lost.

anyways, the PPA came to my door today, with $44 in customs fees!!!!!!!! what'd you declare it as, and how much $$$ did you put it's worth at? did you mark it as a gift?

i didn't have the cash on me right now so it's going to the post office. i'll pick it up later today...but this really blows, i'm pretty much broke. and then i gotta pay shipping.... :(

*Rage here..

Shit.

Sorry for that hyrax. Why would you have to pick up a package?

Want me to send you some cash to ship it to ese?

Ferms.. what did you and $360 do?

Shit?? I sent it 3-5 day delivery, insured it for 200 dollars, paid 26 dollars total to send it from the US. I sent it because 360 didn't have the cash to send it out. Sent it last week, forgot to bump the thread.

I honestly have no idea why you had to pay to get it, I paid all the postage neccessary to get it out from the states. All I put down on customs was that it was a camera, sketchbook, and extra film. Sending it 3-5 days for 25 dollars came with an insurance for 100 bucks, and for an extra dollar I could get 100 more insurance so I paid that. I'm sorry that you had to pay for it, but I can't say that I know why.

stresshead..

those were shot at the aquarium, no flash, very steady hand (no tripod) and caution to avoid any glare in the shot.

canon powershot A85.. ..excellent fucking camera!

apparently, it does have underwater capabilities (when you get a protective case)

as far as customs fees, i do a TON of overseas shipping here at work, the only times i can recall when a person had to pay to RECEIVE a package was when there was INADEQUATE POSTAGE.

who knows what happened. maybe the postal service typed in the wrong zip code and misjudged the postage amount. dunno.

Thanks for the support guys, I'll let you know what ends up happening. I read through some of the customs documentation and I can dispute the charges to get a refund, so I'm gonna give that a shot.

Total was $42.22 canadian:

$17.37 GST/HST

$19.85 PST

$5.00 Handling fee

According to the customs info, I can dispute it if the goods are returned to sender/exporter, I just have to prove it's left Canada. Or, I can claim the Goods were classified or described incorrectly.

I think the second one is the best bet. According to the customs form the value was listed as $248.18, which is the reason for the charges :/ Shouldn't be hard to get them to understand it's a handmade book, some photos and an old polaroid camera that's basically a gift, and isn't even staying in Canada.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

hyrax,

Definitley see if you can dispute the charges for LESS than the 248.

I assume it's unopened. You could even claim the whole package as something really inexpensive.. like 30 bucks, if that will lessen the fees.

Maybe we can work something out.

Ferms.. did you by any chance get a receipt when you sent it out?

Was it UPS.. FedEx...?

I sent it UPS, 3-5 days. The clerk weighed it, it came out to 25 dollars. 3-5 day shipping includes 100 dollars worth of insurance, for an extra dollar more you can get an extra 100 dollars. I paid the extra 100 dollars because I figured it was worth it in case the thing got lost or damaged. I do have the original receipt but it will be somewhat of a pain in the ass to find since I just moved.

I declared it as a camara, sketechbook, and film like I said. I declared it's worth as 200 dollars since that's what I had it insured for. If that's something wrong that I did, sorry, I've never actually sent a package outside the US. I can try my best to make it up to you.

I assure you I paid the full postage when I sent it out, I wouldn't stick ya with the bill, hyrax.

Originally posted by fermentor666@Feb 17 2005, 06:15 PM

I declared it as a camara, sketechbook, and film like I said. I declared it's worth as 200 dollars since that's what I had it insured for. If that's something wrong that I did, sorry, I've never actually sent a package outside the US. I can try my best to make it up to you.

I assure you I paid the full postage when I sent it out, I wouldn't stick ya with the bill, hyrax.

Customs for certain countries place large import tariffs on high valued items to prevent people from skipping sales/flat tax by ordering expensive equipment from elsewhere. By declaring at $200, you essentially put a big sign on it that said, "THIS IS VALUABLE. TAX IT". I'm guessing the camera was actually worth much less than $200. For future reference you're best off declaring items shipped to other countries at their actual value or far less than it depending. It was definitely an honest mistake though.