euthanasia

ubejinxed

do u think that individuals should have the right to take control of their own life and death by way of prescription?

i think that if someone is terminally ill that doctors should be able to prescribe them a fatal dosage if the patient so requests. I don't think that people should continue to suffer if they know that they're on their way out. but this raises all sorts of concerns about when could they do it, or which doctors and can family intervene. not to mention religous ramifications. is it really ok for people to have control over their own deaths?

I know that the Netherlands have made euthanaisa legal, but will other countries follow?

your thoughts?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

plus in some cases the accountability of the chronically ill person is not guaranteed. How would you know that he/she is acting by his her free will and was not influenced by others? certain medications can make you unaccountable I think so you are very easy to influence...

I think its a question with no real answer.

The netherlands are a VERY liberal country anyways so I don't think many other countries will follow. But maybe thats good...maybe its not.:confused: :confused: :confused:

my grandfather is a living example of this, he wants to die, is miserable, his health is failing hes in and outta the hospital, and lives in a full care nursing home, but medically speaking, he is not healthy...(hes no spring jumiper) but his health isnt fatal, so technically its not his time yet, religiously speaking, even though im sure he doesnt give a shit bout that anymore, so in cases like that i disagree even if you are really in bad health, but are still able to live, then no, if you are a vegetable, with no hope at all then yeah its up to the patients family (i think they do that anyways? if your on 100 life support) i dont know all in all i dont think other countries will follow, and i think that depression later in life leads to many older people thinking there worse than they are and wanting to exit stage left.

once you watch someone you love waste away, you wil agree that a person has the right to decide when they have endured enough suffering, and no longer want to be kept alive solely for the comfort of others and the use of advanced technologies...

i am all for a person's right to choose..

oh, and it's

p-r-e-scription

The Dutch aren't the best barometer of social acceptance.

They're probably the most liberal-leftist nation out there.

I guarantee that any social cause you can name is being worked

into the governments 'social responsibilities' ten years before the rest of the western world.

And my roomate is Dutch, so I never hear the end of it.

Now on the topic of assisted suicide,

If most nursing care systems offer a 'do not recesitate' option,

why cant they offer a 'do not pass normal life expectancy' option?

Some people do not want to be kept alive by artificial means,

and weither the reason is religious or simply because they feel like it,

this option should be availble.

My Grandmother has full-on althezimers and she's been bed-ridden for over 10 years.

She cant speak, or even recognize her own family. The problem is that her

body was so healthy that it outlasted her mind. She cant make the decision

to end her own life, so should the family be able to make that decision for her?

I say no. I think that if a person never said that they believed in assisted suicide

while they were a sentient person, they shouldn't have to decide that when they are a vegetable.

yeah, I'm rambling on this one.

so here's my real issue.

My mother has told me that if she feels althezimers coming on,

she will take care of her affaires while she still can, then simply

starve herself untill she wastes away. At first I was shocked that

she would consider doing such a thing, but then I realised that her

opinion is all that counts. If you've led a full life and know that there's

nothing left but suffering and pain, it's your right to go out on your terms.

*edit: yes my spelling is crappy today, but I cant be bothered to proof read.

^^^yes, i agree that family and friends should nto be able to make that decision

(unless it's a life-support issue)

thats why if a person feels that way, as in they don't want to suffer and waste away, they can try to file a living will that has a provision in it about illness or injury and assisted suicide...

exactly!

If the person hasn't though about euthanasia (on a moral level)

before they became sick, it's not fair to have to deal with it during illness.

BUT.. if they came to the decision that they would rather end their life

than prolong their suffering with a clear and healthy mind, no one should be able to stop them.

Archived