GIANT

Guest big PERM

I'm flattered y'all like my shit. Although, I wish you were all killing shit instead of goofing off on the internet. Obviously, I'm goofing off on the internet, but you get my point.

I feel like I take this shit pretty seriously, so your props are appreciated. Graffiti is definately a weird part of my life at this point. I should have gotten sick of it a long time ago. But everyday when I'm out riding my bike I see new graffiti, and it makes me want to do it. I still have the urge to compete; with myself, other writers, the fucking buffers, cops, and the pussy 9to5 haters. Nowadays, I'm about streets. Shit that won't last long, but it's definately not where it's "supposed" to be. It pisses me off to get pieces buffed the next day, but I really feel like it's more important to lose one on the streets, than waste one in a yard. It's easy to see I've done my time in yards.

Friends lately have been asking me for a definition of "Keeping it real". I've been saying that in whatever you're doing, do it 100% according to the rules you've chosen to abide by. I learned my rules from my mentor, Agree. His rules were not "universal" rules. His rules came from the Brooklyn scene of the 80s. The generations that followed and preceded that decade were a little different, but in my mind no less or more valid than my foundation in this culture. I attribute a lot of the fame I've gained over the years to my adherence to "my" rules. Your praise makes me feel like the mentality passed on to me by my mentor was a good one, and my fame can be seen as a great compliment to him and his generation.

Word.

-GIANT-

The Skullz - Oakland

PS There's some flics posted of some MUNI trains I did. They turned out to be scrap trains. Some peckerhead kid e-mailed me complaining that I was "fronting". Well, when I hit that yard, it was the first time I'd seen trains in that spot, and they were all clean. I really didn't know they were gonna get scrapped. I got chased out, and had to sneak back in the next morning to get flics, and got chased again. It certainly didn't feel like I was painting bullshit trains. In any case, I wonder what the fucking difference is after the fact. To me, it's about the experience, not the painted piece. How many motherfuckers paint trains they know won't leave the yard, or might only run for a few hours? Do you think they give a shit how long it survives? Fuck no. It's about doing what you're not supposed to be doing. Enough said...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i just have to say that i enjoyed giants comment about as much as i enjoy his art work... i find it commendable that there are writers that are still about bombing and are still excited by art out there... alot of times i feel that graffiti is just bullshit... but it's just bullshit surrounding graffiti... that when i have a can and i'm wandering around doing my thing that's what graffiti is.... alot of what giant said rang true for me.

you always run into the cocky ass writers naming themselves "KING ****" or whatever there names is, in this case in my opinion i believe that giant should certainly be named king, for style and for how clean this kid is, so obey...:king:

Originally posted by thedevil

good point giant the ones of us who knew Agree and how he was really learned style and rules things that where brought to our desert from ny....keep up the good work...I'll post some older stuff later....nores

Agree's rule were:

do illegal graff first and foremost, and rack lots of shit. he also had ill tags, throwups, and pieces he was the dopest partner to have even though i was pretty much a toy until after he died he still hung with me everyday and we did mad shit and robbed tons of merchandise...

16V

ATK.

agree

i first met Agree in 89 at the monolithic with rel, doc and somebody else... it might have even been giant i'm not sure... he did a g connected to a character i think...

i was 11 and i would see him in random places like the fair when ATK had their booth airbrushing t shirts...

definitely an amazing person.. i was that young and he was totally cool w/ going to paint with me if i had the courage to go. i really wish i took him up on that. regardles i know i've been just as influenced from him and it's awesome to have the same kindred that the devil, 16v and giant all have w/ the reason albuquerque had such an amazing graffiti scene way back then.

bump for the burque

heads up SF people..."lone mountain" is being buffed as we speak..go get your flicks now (i suggest you ask permission though cus i was cited up there yesterday for trespassing and they are keeping tight security right now)...i was fuckin depressed when i saw that the line between the grey buff paint and the Reyes peice was like 15 feet....FUCK USF!!!

Guest big PERM

that reply by giant surprised the shit out of me just to see it in here,it made me realize i should stop jocking becuase he's only a man, he is a person like you and me, it really made me think what the fuck am i doing dwelling on other peoples styles when i should be spending time on my own shit. good work though, your shit is always a pleasure to view. keep it up.

good times

Re: Its pretty funny......

Originally posted by PopGunWar

Once the legal walls dont please the crowd anymore and only bombers get any credit, you try to take it to the streets........

And dont be telling us to be out "killing shit" while you sit back and get famous off your $5 blackbook zines.

You have no idea how ignorant you are being. If you did, you would chase a glass of bleach with a handful of tacks. I am not trying to "beef" yo, but your misguided audacity is embarrassing. Go ahead, call me a queer toy art fag bitch. I'll still love you.

Re: Its pretty funny......

Originally posted by PopGunWar

Once the legal walls dont please the crowd anymore and only bombers get any credit, you try to take it to the streets........

And dont be telling us to be out "killing shit" while you sit back and get famous off your $5 blackbook zines.

Come on man, everyone knows giant keeps it real....

The bay area is full of people who got their fame off of Legal walls, or train track walls where cops never come.

This was especially true when Giant moved to san francisco. Dream had his tracks in oakland, and dug had started psycho city, and funk city.

You never heard of gigs. Yes, he did the best shit then and bombed harder than any of the hometown hero niceguys.

Giant saw what was getting the most nationwide attention from a local scene and it fit what he did to a T.

Don't try and get all mad about it now.

Giant's best moment came when him and kept battled. Kept was too scared to do his own name and did all those AWR's so Giant couldn't diss. But kept got caught the 1st week. Giant won in my eyes...

Battles are so gay that maybe they both lost.

Guest Jan Ulrich

why the hell do you guys have to rag on everything? i mean c'mon amaze, could you lay the sarcasm on a bit thicker? you sound like a jealous bitch.

honestly, i couldn't care less if giant didn't bomb hard enough or only painted "out of the way walls". he pumps out quality work and no matter how hard you try, you'll never be able to "front" on that.

you and your boy toy grey should reconsider coming on here and running your mouths the way you do. for 2 guys so obviously obsessed with their "Fame" or "glory" or whatever you want to fucking call it, you're sure doing a good job of tarnishing you precious rep.

Guest tears*uno

TO GIANT

i just wanted to say that the first ever piece i saw was by you, and it made me want to do graff. it was that influence that has drove me and will continue to drive me to get better and better at graff. i remember when i saw the pic of your piece i just thought, wow..what skill, i wanna do that. so thankyou for contributing to the graff world and keep painting, because you influenced me to do graffiti.

Originally posted by Jan Ulrich

why the hell do you guys have to rag on everything? i mean c'mon amaze, could you lay the sarcasm on a bit thicker? you sound like a jealous bitch.

honestly, i couldn't care less if giant didn't bomb hard enough or only painted "out of the way walls". he pumps out quality work and no matter how hard you try, you'll never be able to "front" on that.

you and your boy toy grey should reconsider coming on here and running your mouths the way you do. for 2 guys so obviously obsessed with their "Fame" or "glory" or whatever you want to fucking call it, you're sure doing a good job of tarnishing you precious rep.

Amen. I use to think Grey and Amaze were sick as fuck. Hell, I still like their shit. But when you see how much of a dick someone is, it makes you re-think things. Granted, they don't give a fuck what I think, I'll still say it. Giant is a nice guy. He's real with people. When I meet someone and they're nice, and then I see their shit, it makes it that much better in my eyes. Grey and Amaze are in this shit for themselves. Good fucking grief.

Archived