Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

was my dad a writer?

Discussion in 'Third Rail' started by my finger, Dec 6, 2001.

1. my finger

my finger New Jack

My dad grew up in nyc. he's about 52 now but he lived in nyc when he was a teen through his late 20's. he was in an art group that did legal and illegal public murals, not graffiti. his untensil of choice was ait brush and to this day, his profesional job is painting murals, with airbrush. he showed me some pictures of a project where he was hired to paint some semi trucks. among some of the desings on the trucks, one was the locomotive of a train, that took up the whole truck, and he free-handed it. what i'm gathering is that he's good at that kind of art. the tip to graff, is that he has a newspaper article on his wall in his studio that he has had since before i was born. it's from NY times and is about LEE, DONDI, and FUTURA 2000, and has 6 flixs (2 from each) of some trains. Am i just wishing he was a writer? or is this valid enough proof? and if i ask him, am i just incriminating myself? what would you do?

2. TheStupidToy

TheStupidToy Junior Member

Just bring up graffiti in a conversation and see how he responds to it.... maybe even say something semi-negative about graffiti and see how he may try to defend it...... dont just ask him tho...... just bring it up and you should be able to figure it out alone.....

3. miz303

miz303 Banned

..wow........that reminds me of my issue of art communications.............my uncle is in advertsing and is retiring and gave me all kinds of old art comm mags and books..................i seen those levi's adds and that shit is dope........

4. Boring Bastard

Boring Bastard Elite Member

That's rad!!!! Talk to him about it and ask him what he thinks of it because he obviously has enough interest in it to where he is open minded to begin with so just tell him about your interest in it! I'm sure he'll super cool with it........... Fuck man , get your dad on here to tell us about the subways and shit!!!

5. REGULATOR

REGULATOR Elite Member

my dad wrote "kilroy was here" on our water heater

6. Smart

Smart Dirty Dozen Crew

dude, my advice is to learn a bit, or actually a bunch, about each of those writers, then go school your dad, start casual bout how you read the article and liked the artists and you did a bit more research and by this time, if he's down, he'll be like 'damn, tell me more!" and if he's not he'll say "whateverthefuckhesayswhenhe'smad

yot likes this.
  7. bug

bug Guest

"illegal public murals" sounds like graff to me. if he was around back then, there's a good chance that he's jaded about it now. if your not amazing at graff, don't approach him about it yet. wait till you get really good, then start talking. there's a good chance he'll be enthusiastic about his son son dong graff.

8. siloette

siloette Member

my dad has been taking flicks for me at his local yard.down south.I love you dad..

9. taper

taper Elite Member

10. Boring Bastard

Boring Bastard Elite Member

Parents normally encourage there kids so I would figure that you should approach him and inquire atleast!!

11. T.T Boy

T.T Boy Dirty Dozen Crew

dude, its your pops,got take him out for drinks and ask him, i dunno, just ask him about it.

12. post.

post. Guest

13. Sekin

Sekin New Jack

maybe this is just with my dad but if I came straight out and said Did you do Graffiti? Even if he had he would probably say no. I would try to smooth into it. Get kind of buddy-buddy about, start the male bonding thing, then when you feel comfortable give him a question about it.

14. BIG T

BIG T Member

what is he gonna do get mad at you for doing illegal "art"..... i doubt it... just ask him.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

15. TheDictator

TheDictator Guest

did he write?? tell us when you ask him!