Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Vagitarians, Take Notice!

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by shai, Sep 14, 2005.

1. shai

shai Dirty Dozen Crew

ALl right, so I've been vegetarian for most of my life. The first half was on account of my parents...kind of like when Samuel L. Jackson said in "Pulp Fiction", "My girlfriend is a vegetarian...so I guess that makes me one too."

The latter half has been due to an inability to digest meat, and that means ANY kind of meat. The ethical aspect plays into it, but it's been more of a recent development, since I can't love animals (no, not in THAT way) and eat them, too.

So, being a lazy bastard, I rarely have time to make my own lunch in the morning before work. So, I have to eat lunch to go most of the time. There's a good selection of veggie resaurants where I work, and I frequent them...but a steady diet of anything gets boring, so I like to check out different places whenever the mood strikes me.

Last Friday was one of those days. I found a new pizza place around the corner from my office, so I decided to try them out...just a slice of cheese usually does the trick, and gives me a good idea of the quality of the rest of the menu. So, that's what I ordered.

And, man, that shit tasted GOOD! It was like how I remember pizza tasting when I was a kid. Then, I noticed that the cheese pizza was actually...only half cheese, with the other half being pepperoni. Uh oh.

By the time I got home, I had stomach cramps and the shits like I hadn't had them in ages...I felt like the Alien was going to pop out of my chest at any minute, it was that bad. I tried Sprite and crackers, Tums, the whole nine...to no avail. I had to ride it out, and the next day felt better, but still kind of weak. Basically, it fucked up most of my weekend.

Ironically, my girl went to her grandmother's house this weekend, and ended up eating soup that had sausage in it...her grandmother is from Italy, and isn't too clear on the whole vegetarian thing. But, she's a sweet old lady, and my girl is a good sport, so she tried to eat her way around the sausage...and ended up right where I was the night before, rolling around in bed, farting and groaning and hating life in general.

Anyway, I guess what I want to know is-

A) Has this happened to you?

B) If so, what can/did you do about it?

I know one of us is gonna get it again someday, so I'd like to know if there's some kind of home remedy for this.

Fire away.

2. Overtime

Overtime Dirty Dozen Crew

vegetarian for 7 years, never had it happen, so i cant help, but ive heard about it

just suck it up and ease meat into your diet, or dnt eat meat again unless you want this to happen again...

3. shai

shai Dirty Dozen Crew

Sometimes, that's not an option..they'll use beef or chicken stock or lard, and you'll never know. Until you KNOW.

4. dead sentiment

dead sentiment Member

i think its the red meat thats the problem.

i was raised macrobiotic vegetarian... ate chicken & turkey off and on for maybe two years. turned back vegetarian for 6 more years. and recently started eating chicken and turkey again.

i didnt get sick at all, but then again, i'm not eating super processed meats either. i think that it has with the type of meat that you're eating. pepperoni and sausage are a mixture of the worst parts of cow & pig (and who knows what else).

eating meat again has made me healthier because i dont have an iron deficiency anymore. also, i've lost weight because of the protien substituted in place of carbohydrates all the time.

i dunno... i just never thought it was morally wrong to eat animals, seeing as how we're on the top of the food chain and we eat them to survive (even tho, in this day and age its not necessary to eat animals for survival.. but, still). i just never liked the smell or taste of meat or fish. i find myself craving chicken from time to time, but everything else is kind of repulsive to me.

5. dead sentiment

dead sentiment Member

it could also be in your head...

like if you hadn't noticed the meat in what you ate, you might not have gotten sick.

your mind is a very powerful thing. once you're convinced that something is gonna make your body react a certain way, then you'll no doubt follow thru with it. (ie: a child who gets cut and doesnt start crying or feel pain until he sees blood.)

6. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

i was vegetarian for 8 years...decided i was too fucky lazy and didnt care anymore so i started by eating tuna...quarter of a can. fucked my stomach up, but i didnt get too sick. did that every day for a week. it took about a month before i could eat whatever and not have it bother me.

thats all.

7. FunTimePartyTeam

FunTimePartyTeam Senior Member

Yeah dude, your missing the enzymes to digest the stuff and your body is like "What the hell is this?" If you want to digest it with out the stomach aches, you have to start with a little at a time and build up until your pal Mr Belly gets used to it. But from what I read thats not really what your looking for, maybe ex-lax?

8. DETO

DETO 12oz Loyalist

i don't eat red meat.

9. DETO

DETO 12oz Loyalist

the only reason i don't eat red meat anymore is because, everytime i would eat it, i would land up getting sick.

[/no homo!]

10. RumPuncher

RumPuncher Elite Member

we're still born with an apendix, so meat is nartual for humans to eat.

hell... If I hadn't ever had a beer than this tall can of Lowenbrau would probably kill me.

11. shai

shai Dirty Dozen Crew

Is that what your appendix is for? I never knew that. I still have mine, so that's not it....

12. Wire

Wire New Jack

I'm a full-on 'vore, but I find this thread really fascinating. I didn't know your body could be conditioned after a number of years to be intolerant of meat. I thought we were pretty much hard-wired to devour our fleshy delicious animal friends.

This is a little off-topic, but I felt compelled to ask. Isn't it really expensive to be a vegetarian and still be healthy? I've had friends (idiots) who tried the vegetarian thing because they're easily influenced tools who wanted to be trendy, and one ended up in the hospital for malnutrition. You have to eat a ton of different rabbit food, don't you? Like beans, squash, carrots, rice, bread, pasta, broccoli, nuts, some kinda legume and some other stuff EVERY DAY to keep your caloric intake up and all that jazz?

13. ODS-1

ODS-1 Elite Member

I haven't eaten meat for years but a few years back I decided to eat a gyro with chicken in it. I've never felt pain like that before.

14. SF1

SF1 Elite Member

How did you not realize you were eating pepperoni?

15. dead sentiment

dead sentiment Member

well, thats vegans that you're talking about. most vegetarians get a lot of calories from dairy products & such.