Relaunching / Repositioning the forum discussion.

misteraven

50 minutes ago, Joker said:

This is going to sound silly, but bear with me...

A treasure hunt. 

Vans recently launched in their Oxford Street store a QR code treasure hunt. Simple idea, nothing new, but in my world (I'm a retail designer) this was something pretty cool. What if there's a way to create a treasure hunt on the forum? There's a list of ten items to find, and when you find it you have to like it or prop it or maybe there's a special "reaction" specifically for these ten posts. Finding all ten gets you a discount code or a special code needed to buy exclusive content available only in the 12oz shop. Not only could it draw folks to the forum but it cold get folks to dig through the forum and see some of the great content already here.

There's probably more to the idea than that, but wanted to get it out before I forgot. 

@misteraven

Its funny cause we had the idea of a treasure hunt like 10+ years ago. Not sure if anyone remembers but we were talking about a cross country road trip in an RV and at that time, it was going to include Os Gemeos. The idea was that we'd paid these spots along the way, as well as leave behind small artworks and then leave clues to them. There was supposed to be a real time tracker that would give you a general idea of where the tour was at and I recall even starting to solicit on the forum for help with places to crash and walls to paint. Anyhow, a very (extremely) watered down version is what became the DR Pepper tour we did with Complex to Coachella however many years ago.

That said, I've been slipping QR codes into the last few t-shirt designs and really love the idea of geo caching. I was already planning some stickers with QR codes as an attempt to bring attention back to the board / website and a lot of this naturally fits a basic contest template where you get 12oz stickers, put them up and take photos... Something I've done several times before through our Instagram account.

Anyhow, yeah, I can see a few dots connecting for something like this. Maybe needs a little more thought to see how it can be flipped and how it can be built up and managed, but I'm eager to see something like this through. Maybe we can keep brainstorming it a bit?

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
27 minutes ago, misteraven said:

Its funny cause we had the idea of a treasure hunt like 10+ years ago. Not sure if anyone remembers but we were talking about a cross country road trip in an RV and at that time, it was going to include Os Gemeos. The idea was that we'd paid these spots along the way, as well as leave behind small artworks and then leave clues to them. There was supposed to be a real time tracker that would give you a general idea of where the tour was at and I recall even starting to solicit on the forum for help with places to crash and walls to paint. Anyhow, a very (extremely) watered down version is what became the DR Pepper tour we did with Complex to Coachella however many years ago.

That said, I've been slipping QR codes into the last few t-shirt designs and really love the idea of geo caching. I was already planning some stickers with QR codes as an attempt to bring attention back to the board / website and a lot of this naturally fits a basic contest template where you get 12oz stickers, put them up and take photos... Something I've done several times before through our Instagram account.

Anyhow, yeah, I can see a few dots connecting for something like this. Maybe needs a little more thought to see how it can be flipped and how it can be built up and managed, but I'm eager to see something like this through. Maybe we can keep brainstorming it a bit?

Yeah, I think we should keep brainstorming around this. I like the treasure hunt idea because it's more engaging than the forum itself. I mean, it requires the user to interact with the forum which is typical but engages them differently, especially if it's their first time here. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Joker said:

Exclusive writer interviews or spotlights, whether video or a gallery of images, could draw folks to the forum. I know this is something you've done in the past, and I'm not sure how well it was received, but throwing it out there anyway. 

Another round of art prints. Seems like folks who missed out on the last round are kicking themselves or are jealous of those who got in on it. Maybe another set of exclusive black & white art prints, with 12oz branding, could draw some folks in. Create some hype via social media prior to the release of each one. Exclusive content per artist can be found on the forum. 

There was chatter a while back in another thread about creating some kind of Graffiti Alphabet template - similar to what Bombing Science has done - for folks to create their own handstyle, or dimensional letter, alphabet. Create a thread dedicated to it. Speaking of...

As mentioned in a post above mine the rise of digital Graffiti as the new blackbook is noticeable... though I know it's not popular with purists. Regardless, how can we create content around that and draw folks to the forum? Templates as previously mentioned? Tutorials? Contests?

I think thats a great idea tbh if u do a writer interview id like to see one with SIGH Edit: if hes even alive

Edited by paranormio
left a part out

On 10/21/2020 at 10:05 AM, misteraven said:

Mero’s been approached several times about 12oz and isn’t interested.

Wait, that Desus and Mero is the same Mero from way back when? Wtf lmao.

On 11/3/2020 at 11:57 PM, fat ralphy said:

I really used to like JRE and when Channel Zero slowed down, that was my go to.

Had to look that up. I was confused as to why anyone would want to be around Java.  🤦🏻‍♂️

In the past I have posted in subreddits to draw traffic - in all honest most of the reddit users are pretty clueless when it comes to graffiti. I think most are fans and very few are practitioners- but I am sure there would be a consistent trickle of users with regular posting.

Maybe a u/12ozprophet should be made.

Edited by fat ralphy

Ok. Is my shit supposed to look like this or na? Before whatever changed, you were able to click the red lines and get rid of that list and max out the screen so its just the conversation. It also seems to toggle between some narrow mobile view and a tad wider. i missed the screen shot right before but it sometimes gets even narrower and un-usable like it glitched out or something. 

Screen Shot 2020-11-08 at 11.28.55 AM.png