This is what ancient statues really looked like

misteraven

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Reminds me of the controversy surrounding the Sistene Chapel restoration. Recall at the time, many scholars saying that there was a layer of washed soot placed over the fresco to tone down the vibrancy of color that was on purpose. Wonder if dudes that were around today were to see it, if they'd flip out?

Sistine_Chapel_Daniel_beforandafter.jpg.105c46355322341d90189403e624cda6.jpg

j9AbHzL.jpg.bf4be32a402f272dac2b7b49ad4e99ba.jpg

• Like 1

Sort of makes sense that at least a few people got the bright idea to try painting them.

Wonder if there was an Ancient Greek version of a garage sale? Maybe an old statue with a few chips and the marble kinda yellowed so dude buys it and paints it all crazy cause he has no taste and it’s going on the lawn anyways. 

Bet @Tesseractcan shed some light on it. 

• LOL! 2

I recall reading something about the restoration of Thomas Jefferson's house ad how the restoration team were abused by people.

Visitors  thought they were making a mess of restoring the house by painting it in true colours when all the pastel colours we see are a result of fading not taste.
Bow and arrow guy obviously stole his wife's Athleisure wear.

Yeah, it's really crazy @misteraven. Most of these statues you posted are at the acropolis museum,  i've seen them live numerous times and still can't stomach the fact that they where once colored so vividly.

An interesting fact is that color was limited in ancient times and hence very expensive and luxurious. We judge color today based on the limitless options we have on the full spectrum but once you realize that in ancient times blue was so expensive that only kings and gods could wear it the whole thing spins into a whole new perspective.

The other thing, concerning ancient greek sculpture and architecture, is that the monochromatic marble version (once color was gone from the surface) has been very influential to artists and architects that are known for keeping things at a minimal. Henry Moore and Walter Gropius just to name a few.

PS. Speaking of archeology, can i get my post count back?! haha.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Tesseract said:

Yeah, it's really crazy @misteraven. Most of these statues you posted are at the acropolis museum,  i've seen them live numerous times and still can't stomach the fact that they where once colored so vividly.

An interesting fact is that color was limited in ancient times and hence very expensive and luxurious. We judge color today based on the limitless options we have on the full spectrum but once you realize that in ancient times blue was so expensive that only kings and gods could wear it the whole thing spins into a whole new perspective.

The other thing, concerning ancient greek sculpture and architecture, is that the monochromatic marble version (once color was gone from the surface) has been very influential to artists and architects that are known for keeping things at a minimal. Henry Moore and Walter Gropius just to name a few.

PS. Speaking of archeology, can i get my post count back?! haha.

Nice insight and glad to see you post. Just looked through the member database and can't find an imported version of your user name as I suspected. Do you have any idea what your count was?