Armed Forces Photo Appreciation Thread

Mercer

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
7 hours ago, KILZ FILLZ said:

Best for last!

i think this is where the Hells Angels adapted their death head logo from

VF-101 Grim Reapers last remaining F-14 Tomcat sqdn 

now known as VFA-101 Grim Reapers and one of the very few F-35 Lightening sqdn

D1076B9A-692E-4110-BB02-15B247996BC8.jpeg

Maybe. Looks very similar.

Cool collection

Edited by Ko SprueOne
Cool collection
  • Truth 1

On 6/22/2020 at 11:10 AM, KILZ FILLZ said:

F in the chat for the poor bastards who had to stencil all this out 

5050F8E0-FB76-4234-A0DF-489DE491AE5F.jpeg

I know right. Is that a prototype scheme or were a bunch painted this way? I was thinking they probably have pre-cut masks if they did many? I know very little about aircraft. Could it be a number of sectional wraps?

• Like 1

On 8/2/2020 at 9:17 AM, Ko SprueOne said:

I know right. Is that a prototype scheme or were a bunch painted this way? I was thinking they probably have pre-cut masks if they did many? I know very little about aircraft. Could it be a number of sectional wraps?

Tough to say

ive seen guys painting this on vertical stabs before -

5C71830C-1ED3-4F01-954F-E85418ED3F20.jpeg.e93f75ccefba4b71beb346dfecfef9f9.jpeg

they had simple cardboard stencils masking tapes to the stabs

I would imagine they use a similar system for that digital cam

probably a bunch of random digital stencils they use to freestyle the pattern

def not a wrap, it would come off in flight 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The last man to die in WWII 1945, Leipzig, April 18, 1945

image.thumb.png.abf75529ab1ff9a0e7a2f53b7b8c142e.png

An American soldier killed by German shooters in Leipzig, 1945.

War photographer Robert Capa took this iconic photo of an American soldier shot and killed by a German soldier in the battle for Leipzig on April 18, 1945. The soldier became known as the ′′ last man to die′′ in WWII after the picture appeared in Life's Victory Parade magazine.

During the final days of the war, a machine gun squad entered a Leipzig building in search of positions to establish cover points that protected soldiers from the 2th U.S. Infantry advancing across the bridge. Two squad members found an open balcony that commanded an unobstructed view of the bridge, and set up their firing position there. It was there that a German bullet found the GI.

War photographer Robert Capa climbed the apartment through a window of the balcony to photograph the dead, who was lying on the open door, with a luftwaffe lamb skin helmet on his head.

′′It was a very clean death, somehow very beautiful and I think it's what I remember most about the war", Capa recalled two years later in a radio interview.

The soldier has been identified as Raymond J. Bowman, 21, born in Rochester, New York. In January 1944, he was sent abroad to the UK in preparation for Operation Overlord. Bowman served in France where he was injured in action on 3 August 1944, and later in Belgium and Germany.

Life magazine article did not identify the soldiers in photos by name, although Bowman's family recognized him by the small pin (which featured his initials) that he always wore on his collar.

The images were published in the Victory edition of Life magazine on May 14 with the caption ′′The Picture of the Last Man to Die". It would become one of the most memorable images from World War II.

In July 2015, Leipzig, Germany voted to name the street (formerly called Jahnallee 61) in front of the building where Bowman was killed as ′′Bowmanstraße′′ in his honor. The name change took place on April 17, 2016. The building now contains a small memorial with Cover photos and information about Bowman.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

BEF79909-EFAB-4947-AD5B-763ED24B0E3E.thumb.jpeg.1c7c3f83e36e6739f057b95181428c3b.jpeg

02370A6C-5BFD-4C32-84F3-51EA862119F5.thumb.jpeg.739d111d4aa9fe505e968b6c26b3403c.jpeg

Officials also expressed expectations that the KF-X fighter jets will compete in the global market with fifth-generation fighter jets such as the U.S. aerospace giant Lockheed Martin's F-35 and F-22, based on price and technology competitiveness. According to the KAI, the KF-X is designed as a 4.5-generation jet whose basic hardware and platform could be used for further development and conversion into a fifth-generation one with improved "stealth" technologies.

http://m.koreatimes.co.kr/pages/article.asp?newsIdx=304786

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...