>>>>OLYMPICS 2012

Pfffffffffft

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it wrong that I don't give two shits about the olympics?

I find it funny that the world can come together on such trivial shit, but when more pressing things occur we cant do not a thing for one another. dunno, i think the games are pointless and prove how slow we are as a people.. ohhhh congratulations you run fast oh my welll isnt that spectacular.

no hate on the bolt man, i mean its cool that he uses this money to help his homeland and its people, but i wish more things in the realm of academia and science got this kind of hype. for fucks sake no one seems all too enthused about the mars landing...

what i'm getting at is that aint shit changed

since rome we've marveled at the gladiators and general athleticism almost to the point of praise and worship. and there hasn't been a movement similar involving the progression of knowledge since the European renaissance.

The Olympics are where we come together...., really?

Munich Massacre, US Boycott of Russian Olympics, Russian Boycott of LA Olympics, massive doping, cheating and athlete factories as Cold War rivals used the Olympics to build national prestige, China faking birth dates of children to compete in gymnastics for national prestige, Beijing holding a 'ghost town Olympics' to create a sanitised version for the TVs of the world to display the credibility of the Chinese Communist Party, etc., etc.

money money money money....

Coming together? Not exactly.

what i'm getting at is that aint shit changed

since rome we've marveled at the gladiators and general athleticism almost to the point of praise and worship. and there hasn't been a movement similar involving the progression of knowledge since the European renaissance.

Yes there has. it's called the market economy.

Those who are smart and powerful win.

And this has to do with coming together because?

So your saying that if a few people are no good, the whole idea is evil.

Seems legit, that would make everything evil.

I guess there's some form of ulterior motive to everything.

"IF WE GET THE MOST GOLD, WE CAN MELT IT DOWN AND BECOME THE MOST POWERFUL COUNTRY IN THE WORLD.."

And this has to do with coming together because?

So your saying that if a few people are no good, the whole idea is evil.

Seems legit, that would make everything evil.

No, I'm saying that framing the Olympics as a coming together of humanity is inaccurate.

It is a place where nations have competed for supremacy, where govts commit sad acts to build legitimacy, where non-state actors commit acts of ugliness for their survival, where interests compete for massive profits, etc.

Sure, it's also a meeting of some pretty awesome athletes, some cool sports and some pretty inspiring stuff.

But there's a shit tin more going on here than just a 'celebration of sport' and whatever idealic stuff 'a coming together of the world' can be interpreted as.

ok, here is why i made my original post in this thread.

my mom walked into my room and asked me if i had heard about the gabby girl winning

and i did, but i wasnt jumping for joy like everyone else was, for there was a large feeling of indifference when people kept bringing it up.

I dont understand what's so monumental about this shit. I understand that yes, she has overcome some sort of racial barrier in that realm of that sport, but besides that...yay? i dunno, maybe my short time on earth has made me far too sensitive(senile lol?) and pessimistic. when i see everyone getting riled up and hyped about the olympics i see shit about the things going on in syria and then the bull shit with the Sikh temple shootings, the insanity going on in africa. i just cant help but say..whats so fucking awesome about this shit...do you not see what's really going on outside?

Well it doesn't normally to people in liberal democracies but to people in authoritarian dictatorships that have these victories accompanied with all other sorts of propaganda (and are usually blocked from competing messages) reality is different.

It's explainable but I'm not about to write an essay on it. Heaps of reading on the net you can do about the Olympics during the Cold War, etc. That will give you a pretty clear understanding of what it's all about.

In a nutshell, Gold Medal = successful sports athlete program = good funding and technology = good economy = good governance. Then you add the propaganda of cultural values, national pride, etc.

ok, here is why i made my original post in this thread.

my mom walked into my room and asked me if i had heard about the gabby girl winning

and i did, but i wasnt jumping for joy like everyone else was, for there was a large feeling of indifference when people kept bringing it up.

I dont understand what's so monumental about this shit. I understand that yes, she has overcome some sort of racial barrier in that realm of that sport, but besides that...yay? i dunno, maybe my short time on earth has made me far too sensitive(senile lol?) and pessimistic. when i see everyone getting riled up and hyped about the olympics i see shit about the things going on in syria and then the bull shit with the Sikh temple shootings, the insanity going on in africa. i just cant help but say..whats so fucking awesome about this shit...do you not see what's really going on outside?

but what can you do? get with the program thats been instilled because i want to have sex in a ferrari one day so my whole rant is as sound as a ritz cracker atop a puddle of water.

all in all

the world turns and people really really like sports.

So your suggesting we all stop what we're doing and get everything on EARF in check?

Invade Syria and Africa to get their shit in control?

And you can't have sex in a Ferrari, too small. Ferrari's are the epitome of design, dont hate on it.

^Bad form? Any vids of that divefail Symbols?

dooood

it's the IOC and NBC

i couldn't show you a video of that unless i was there to shoot it.

:(

lucky we even have feckin stills.

yuckyuckyuck

suffice it to say, the guy scored "0"

he did a back-plant cannonball

i love it when we get a taste of what a regular folk would do up there hahaha

JUST IN*****BREAKING NEWS****

Another German Olympic fail has been reported...

wl1.jpg

wl4.jpg

wl6.jpg

wl7.jpg

wl8.jpg

wl9.jpg

wl11.jpg

wl12.jpg

German weightlifter drops 432-pound barbell on his head, walks away.

wl-wide.jpg

WTFEEEK is going on wiz ze Germanz?