Fukushima now at Chernobyl level disaster (Level 7)

ink face

It seems like everyone has just kind of moved on with the whole earthquake/tsunami deal so i thought

i'd bring to attention that the nuclear crisis over there is far from over and is in many ways,

worsening. Personally I think this has the potential to be the worst nuclear disaster in wold history, as

there are 3 separate reactors suffering meltdown, full or otherwise as well as a pool of damaged

spent fuel rods. Where as the Chernobyl disaster was just the single reactor. Anyway, for those of you interested...

Fukushima now at Chernobyl level disaster (Level 7)

(NHK) The Japanese government’s nuclear safety agency has decided to raise the crisis level of the Fukushima Daiichi power plant accident from 5 to 7, the worst on the international scale.

Each of the seven steps of the crisis scale represents a ten times increase in the severity of the incident. In other words, the disaster is now officialy 100 times worse than it was (previously at level 5, now at level 7). Many suspected this all along, but now it is official.

(KYODO) The release of a preliminary calculation Monday by the Nuclear Safety Commission of Japan, said the nuclear plant was releasing up to 10,000 terabecquerels of radioactive materials per hour.

The Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency made the decision on Monday. It says the damaged facilities have been releasing a massive amount of radioactive substances, which are posing a threat to human health and the environment over a wide area.

A fire broke out Tuesday morning, but was soon extinguished, the plant operator said. (no further details on the fire at this time)

this site has been updating the goings on over there on a daily basis since the day it was discovered

there was a problem at the plant. Some of the comments are ridiculous, but i haven't found anywhere

else following the situation on a day to day basis.

http://modernsurvivalblog.com/nuclear/west-coast-usa-danger-if-japan-nuclear-reactor-meltdown/

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

yes. I read up more on that link you provided.

Its hard to say at this point, but it certainly does not sound good at all.

they cant cool them and they cant do shit with them.

might want to check out some nuclear fallout surival guides if youre in cali

just wait til the radiation starts mutating the sea animals, Godzilla.

but seriously, it is pretty bad what is happening, although it hasnt actually gotten worse, per se, it has been increased to level 7 due to long term effects, or something to that affect, wasnt paying too much attention to the news story

Well it has gotten worse in that they have not been able to slow down the radiation being emitted from

the plant or effectively cool down the fuel rods. Also that they are having to dump tons and tons of

contaminated water into the ocean is not a big plus. I see what you're saying, but it definitely aint

getting better.

I'm having trouble understanding exactly how bad this really is.

What exactly does as bad as Chernobyl or Level 7 mean aside from a good headline.

Is the core in the same stage of meltdown as Chernobyl but contained?

Is the reactors containment no longer functional and the radiation is leaking at Chernobyl levels?

Basically the shits confusing and I'm wondering if the environmental impact in the area surrounding the plant will be as bad as Chernobyl was.

I'm having trouble understanding exactly how bad this really is.

What exactly does as bad as Chernobyl or Level 7 mean aside from a good headline.

Is the core in the same stage of meltdown as Chernobyl but contained?

Is the reactors containment no longer functional and the radiation is leaking at Chernobyl levels?

Basically the shits confusing and I'm wondering if the environmental impact in the area surrounding the plant will be as bad as Chernobyl was.

That's kind of been one of the problems is that no one actually knows how bad it really is accept the

people working there, and they aren't talking. But based on radiation level readings from surrounding

areas(up to 20 miles away), the amount of radiation leaking is at least as bad as chernobyl, possibly

worse. Different reactors are at different stages of melt down but 2 of them, from what i've read, have

actually melted through the containment vessels at least partially. I read an interview with a worker's

mother who said that the workers have basically come to terms with that fact that they will be dead

from radiation poisoning within a year from working in plant. Some of the workers have suffered

radiation burns as a result also.

*edit, Also as far as the good headline comment goes, it would be yeah, if it were in the mainstream news at all.

Kind of why i started this thread, cause nobody's talking about this and it's a pretty big fucking deal imo.

I agree Mercer is damn confusing, I think from what I have read, Chernobyl was worse because the reactor literally blew into the atmosphere, it affect loads of europe. My wife was raised in northern Germany and they were affected from chernobyl, I think Japan has been contained a lot more. I thin Japan is going to be pretty fucked up from this but I dont think the spread of radioation will be as big.

There has been a spread of radiation but not as much or as strong as chernobyl.

Is it not still being reported in America, they still seem to mention it on a daily basis here.

Inkface, while I agree it isnt getting much better it also isnt getting much worse, they just seem to be trying to manage the situation.

we have a thread that includes the nuclear disaster in the title.

we needed a new thread for this?

people generally do not understand nuclear power, and even experts can disagree on specifics (like how bad it'll be for the ocean that they released all that radioactive water into it)

that's partly why there isn't a solid answer to "how bad is it really"

people seem able to deal with radiation to varying degrees as well (see widely varied effects of chernobyl and 3 mile island)

i'd say we're lucky to not be facing down any radioactive plume

and some women in the fallout zone may have babies with birth defects

as well as higher rates of cancer in the fallout zone population

there is no doubt this incident was a disaster, and nuclear power plants should have better safety procedures and protections

but, radiation disperses

radiation is also naturally occurring

if you work at an airport or sit in from of the tv all day, you will be exposed.

i used to work with HIGHLY radioactive drugs, and the company would tell us that we faced far nore danger, if we ingested a radioactive drug, from the drug itself, not so much the radiation.

it's so sad that generally these days, few people are interested in education or information, instead more interested in frantic screams.. this situation clearly is suffering from a gross lack of knowledge.

Ignorance is bliss. :rolleyes:

This is definatley still a huge concern and problem. The situation will not be fixed in a couple weeks, months or even years from now. Contaminated seafood/wildlife is going to cause havoc on the ecosystem. The effects from this will be felt for a long time to come. People have the tendency to look the other way when they don't like what they are looking at.

yeah i know there's another thread symbols, but no one looks at the earthquake threads anymore as

they're "old news". I just wanted to see what people thought about the whole thing, and point out that

big shit is still happening over there, and it's not being mentioned in the news anymore. sorry if it's

redundant.

[re fineminol]

the ocean is big enough that i'm not sure havoc is quite the right word.

look at the gulf for example. a gargantuan disaster of mammoth proportions with effects lasting decades, but people still eat seafood that came from the gulf, they still swim there, etc.

the oceans are huge and do make up far more of the earth than land mass so, it could very well be that other ecodisasters, like the acidification of the oceans, will make this shit look like a fucking cakewalk.

http://www.nrdc.org/oceans/acidification/

[re ink face]

no big deal on a new thread, otherwise i'd have merged them.

[re fineminol]

the ocean is big enough that i'm not sure havoc is quite the right word.

look at the gulf for example. a gargantuan disaster of mammoth proportions with effects lasting decades, but people still eat seafood that came from the gulf, they still swim there, etc.

the oceans are huge and do make up far more of the earth than land mass so, it could very well be that other ecodisasters, like the acidification of the oceans, will make this shit look like a fucking cakewalk.

http://www.nrdc.org/oceans/acidification/

[re ink face]

no big deal on a new thread, otherwise i'd have merged them.

True. Althouh we cannot clean up radiation like we can with Oil. We need to think on a larger scale too. Overfishing and pollution is also a problem. No matter what country...and yes we will still eat fish/seafood/etc. no matter what because in alot of cultures, the Ocean is their way of life. Try telling them not to fish because of "junk water" and they will just laugh at you because they have to eat, or in alot of cases, make money to earn a living for their family. Even after Chernobyl, people are still hunting animals to eat/survive that even to this day 30% of wild boars/wildlife have radiation contamination. It no matter tho'. What's done is done. Natural and Manmade Disasters will always occur. We are far from perfect. Us humans are but a blink in History's eyes. Yes, the acidification will indeed help bring about our possible extinction on this Earth. For we will not be here forever. So we just gotta keep on steppin'...and do what we do. It sure is hard to not let it get ya down tho'. :huh:

• Like 1

Just to raise the point that the gulf is in no way free of issues.

There are more and more reports coming out about continuing effects not only of the initial spill but the dispersants that were used by BP clean up ships. I know gulf coastal dolphins are being fucked hard.

We aren't the best at modelling long term ecological effect of man made disasters.

jus sayin.

my larger point being, the oil spill was probably a BIGGER disaster than this nuclear thing

and although people, animals, lots of shit is super fucked and not getting better anytime soon, it is not the end of the world, or even the oceans.

i still think that global climate change presents a far bigger catastrophe than any of this stuff.

if you wanna think about how fucked the planet is, consider human overpopulation as well.

these two colossal calamities will present tremendous challenges as our species struggles for food, water, and survival in the next century, and the oil spill, the nuclear disaster, this shit will all be forgotten in the face of complete destruction of us . (probably the best thing for the planet, which will go just like it always has until it gets sucked into the sun)

..and that's if we're lucky enough to never see a super-volcano erupt.

ha

haa damn. i've tried to imagine what that might be like. :shook:

ok, finally saw some hard numbers about radiation levels and when they become dangerous in an article:

...The robot clocked a radiation level of 4.1 millisieverts per hour -- less than 10% of the amount found in the No. 1 and No. 3 reactor buildings on Sunday. By comparison, the average resident of an industrialized country receives a dose of about 3 millisieverts per year. A CT scan produces just under 7, and a chest X-ray delivers a one-time dose of about .05 millisieverts.

Doses above 100 millisieverts can increase the long-term risk of cancer, while 1,000 millisieverts can produce radiation sickness. Tokyo Electric said 29 workers, including three subcontractors, had received cumulative doses of more than 100 millisieverts to date. ...

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/04/19/japan.nuclear.reactors/index.html?hpt=T2

• 1 month later...
Reactors in Meltdown as Private Forecasts Continue

with 11 comments

May 14, 2011: Over the course of the past week, a multitude of news stories (that have been almost entirely suppressed globally) have revealed that the Fukushima reactors are currently in as critical a state as they have been since the explosions occurred in mid-March. Skyrocketing levels of radiation are being reported that are higher than any time since at least early April, and simultaneously there is finally acknowledgment being officially made that at least two of the reactors are in a confirmed state of meltdown.

Although no mainstream news source is saying it explicitly, it is obvious to all that the reactors must have entered this state of meltdown now two months ago (when the explosions were taking place), which only confirms that a multitude of poisonous radioactive isotopes have also been getting released from the crippled plant all this time. Meanwhile, hundreds of radiation forecast images continue to appear in an obscure folder of a server run by the Norwegian Institute for Air Research. These images consistently show levels of radioactive poisons in the northern hemisphere that are at least 100 times greater than the levels that the public forecasts ever showed (which public forecasts have been stopped in any case [1]).

http://globalcooperative.wordpress.com/2011/05/14/reactors-in-meltdown-as-private-forecasts-continue/

map of iodine-131 in april

tracer_h_2323.gif

• 2 years later...

So this is still going on, and there has been a lot of recent discussion of how it has and will continue to

affect the Hawaiian islands in coming years. Shit is not under control or solved at all over there. Here is

some reading about the huge quantities of water that can be potentially leaking into the ocean.

Fukushima leak is "much worse than we were led to believe"