new computer help

patrickjilbert

my dad was a retard and decided to let his girlfriend 'borrow' the computer i left home, so i need a new one. apples, gateway and packard bell are out of the question. i don't think i need to explain that. i was thinking about getting a dell. we have them at school and they seem to be pretty nice, and they seem easy to get, but a lot of people say they're not good. i'm not familiar with some of the places that build computers around here (which i'd prefer) , and half of the places you can't trust anyway. anyone have any suggestions?

what i need:

*nice graphics card (for games like operation flashpoint and counterstrike)

*plenty of ram and hard drive space (like everyone)

*pentium 4 processor

*card for cable modem line (i don't need the other stuff, the main computer has it)

*a monitor bigger than 15in. would be nice

*cd-r drive

*and the rest of the usual

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

DO NOT get an HP pavillion 8776c...I have been fixing my brand new one saince friday. The cd burner still does not work...I have had to reinstall the operatiing system twice and that is after I have had to upgrade it to xp pro, it likes to lock for 5 seconds then work for about 10 seconds then lock up again. it does always boot up correctly, and its slower than owl shit....I am ready to throw it out the window.

I just re connected my old computer because it runs so much better.

HP sucks along with most PC's. If you insist on a PC go with Dell or Compaq, however keep in mind these are among the most expensive of the consumer brands.

However, your better off with an apple. A last revision G4 can be had for under $2000 with a mionitor and it isnt a bad set up. I recommend waiting until after the Steve Jobs key note on January 7th if you go apple since they're probably going to unveil something new causing prices on all the old stuff to dip again.

hey zack, i think the downstairs computer i'm on is a pavillion too. it too has had to be formatted at LEAST twice and the cd burner wil never work. we have tried 2 so far and nothing has happened. we tried to put the new cd burner in there and we ended up having to send it back in and the computer had to be formatted again.

price doesnt matter much since i'm not payig for the computer. are dells alright? i think i have been brainwashed by the dell kid......

dude you're gettin' a dell!

id get a book on building computers...read it...computers are extremely easy to put together now adays..then you could just get what you need...if youre on a budget you get buy it piece by piece when ever you have enough money the purchase a new part...look for parts on sale too....

right now im rockin a homebuilt

Biostar mboard w/750 AMD duron

256 MB RAM

12GB of HD space (old harddrive...looking to get a newer 7200 RPM eventually)

56x CD-ROM

24x/4x external CD-R/W

64MB NVIDIA GForce2

Sound Blaster 128pci (loooking to get a newer soundcard eventually too)

Ethernet card

i went with the duron since it was cheaper and out preformed the celerons in benchmark tests...i used an old harddrive that i had laying around , looking to get a new one when i save up some cash, also used an older soundcard i had laying around and am looking to get a sound blaster live eventually...i spent about 700 on it so far...it will top out just shy of 1000 dollars...excluding software costs, which i dont have to worry about since i have a ton of software already....i mainly use it for college, the internet, and online gaming...its quick enough for me...i dont really care too much for speed...as long as i can run most programs, which it can do with no problem...it is cheaper to buy from a company now since they hook it up with the rebates and a shitload of software, but im more of a hobbiest, so i build, scrap, and upgrade mine...ive been through 3 computers so far and built another for a friend....this one i will keep for a couple more years then start scraping it and upgrading, probably starting with the motherboard, processor and RAM...if you dont want to go through the trouble of building, i recommend a DELL...the US Navy has a contract with dell and most educational institutions use dells from what i hear...Dells seem to be pretty reliable...

Originally posted by Misteraven

HP sucks along with most PC's. If you insist on a PC go with Dell or Compaq, however keep in mind these are among the most expensive of the consumer brands.

ill agree with that except im sitting on a compaq right now....they are no big shit, i wish i would have just gotten a dell....this thing freezes up like its going out of style, so does my girls compaq....probably not a coincidence....

oh man.

last christmas my parents bought themselves and my sister a HP Pavilion XL773....Celeron 600, 64 megs of RAM, 20 gig harddrive, DVD rom, and....Windows ME (HAHAHA). I still cant get over why they bought such an ass computer. Well, now it's ass times ten. It has tons of third party software shit all over it, resulting in a 10 minute boot time. The sound skips because the harddrive is always caching. All of this started happening after about three months of use by my sister. My mom and dad are harmless only because they use it to read mail and look at shit on ebay. I'm the only person in the house who has a pretty extensive knowledge of using a computer and working on one, so I'm on the shit end of the stick when something small is wrong with it. hahaa. I hate touching it. My sister always begged me to make her cd's on my killer awesome computer that I built myself (Asus A7V133, 512MB Ram, 60gigs RAID 0, 16x Plextor CDRW, DVD Rom that I dont use, Windows 2000) and it really pissed me off. For awhile she wanted my old CDRW...an Acer 8x that didnt even burn at 8x...really only worked at 2x...and I kept telling her that..I told her I'd sell it to her since I spent my own $115 on it...she says I need to give it to her...fuck off ho. After months of arduous making of Dixie chix cds and what not, she get's a cdrw this Christmas, and guess what..I am told by her I have to INSTALL IT. AHHH MY DAY OF DEMISE...I never wanted to install a thing on that computer. Well...earlier this week, I took a shot at it with no go...I couldnt get the fucking drive bay cover off. Haha. gay computer. I take a peek at the manual and it shows you how to. So today, I get the cdrw in, turn on the computer, and....ITS NOT BEING RECOGNIZED!!!! WOW HOW FABULOUS. Now I read ya'lls posts about HP's with cdrw drives not working..jeez...my sister is screwed hahahaha.

this computer is two weeks old....its a amd athlon 1.5 ghz, with a geforce3 titanium, 17 inch flat panel, 40 gigs, and a cd writer. it costed a lot but i didnt pay for my parents did.

if u ant a good graphix card go for the geforce 2 MX....sure the geforce 3 is better, but all the games out rite now dont require a geforce 3, they only need a 2 to run. make sure ur graphix card is 64 mb..this is very important....i would go with a compaq if i was you...go to bestbuy.com or some place and CUSTOM make ur computer....u can customize what u want and dont want....its hella easy and u can save some money by getting rid of the things u dont need like extra modems, keyboards speakers etc.

im building a pc for my mananger, its the 4th one ive built now.

Specs :

Soyo k7v dragon plus motherboard

Amd Athlon XP+ 1600 (equivalent to 1.4ghz)

dual 100 gigs (ata100 @ 7200rpm)

1 gig of DDR-RAM

Geforce 2 Ultra 64meg

10mbit business class cable modem.

windows xp devilsown ISO :)

the rest is trivial.

when I built mine back in June '01 (before three motherboard replacements, one cpu replacement, and one power source replacement) the GeForce 3 was just hitting the market...for about $500. I thought it was ridiculous...paying for something that's only marginally better than a nice GeForce 2 card...so I ended up getting a Leadtek GeForce2 GTS Pro and it's been wonderful. Fuck the MX man...I got 64MB of DDR and the Geforce2 chipset and features for $199. That's a deal.

100 gigs? that's a lot. 60 is enough for me. It'd suck to have 100 gigs of storage than all of a sudden have to reformat...ouch. Anyways...I'm running 2 30 gig maxtors in Raid 0 (it's an Asus A7V 133) and I havent been impressed. I'm already planning an upgrade to a nice soundcard and a full SCSI bus soon...IDE is prehistoric, and SoundBlaster sucks..

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller

when I built mine back in June '01 (before three motherboard replacements, one cpu replacement, and one power source replacement) the GeForce 3 was just hitting the market...for about $500. I thought it was ridiculous...paying for something that's only marginally better than a nice GeForce 2 card...so I ended up getting a Leadtek GeForce2 GTS Pro and it's been wonderful. Fuck the MX man...I got 64MB of DDR and the Geforce2 chipset and features for $199. That's a deal.

100 gigs? that's a lot. 60 is enough for me. It'd suck to have 100 gigs of storage than all of a sudden have to reformat...ouch. Anyways...I'm running 2 30 gig maxtors in Raid 0 (it's an Asus A7V 133) and I havent been impressed. I'm already planning an upgrade to a nice soundcard and a full SCSI bus soon...IDE is prehistoric, and SoundBlaster sucks..

when you compare IDE to SCSI there will be a difference. SCSI is designed for servers, business, commercial uses. No personal use would require a SCSI unless ur running a topsite for uhhh personal use...

SB has a good new card out called AUDIGY. its gotten good reviews, as for me im happy with my sb live value card...and win2k sp2

i understand scsi is for serious applications, but im all bout it man..i like the idea of having a free flowing ide bus for the NIC and sound card. dont get me wrong, sound blaster makes nice cards, it's just the live can be hairy sometimes...hogs ide bandwidth because it lacks bus mastering...lots of skipping, popping, corrupted files, and what not when big ole' transfers are made while playing sound. my pci 512 is fine, but if im burnin a cd it's a lil poppy..

sb live + via chipset + win2k = bad things sometimes

sp2 is the shit.

Archived