I enjoy my Mall life

Ski Mask

just saw this short documentary tonight about "South China Mall" and thought some people on here would be interested. you can watch it here:

http://www.pbs.org/pov/utopia/

from wikipedia:

South China Mall (simplified Chinese: 华南MALL; pinyin: Huánán MALL) in Dongguan, China is the second largest mall in the world after Dubai Mall. It has leasable space for over 1,500 stores in approximately 6.5 million square feet (600,000 square metres) of total floor area.

The mall has seven zones modeled on international cities, nations and regions, including Amsterdam, Paris, Rome, Venice, Egypt, the Caribbean, and California.

Since its opening in 2005, it has suffered from a severe lack of occupants. Much of the retail space remained empty in 2008, with 99.2 percent of the stores vacant.[1] Many analysts[who?] said that the main reason the mall had been largely unoccupied was its location in the suburbs of Dongguan, which means that it was only practical to travel there using a car. The only occupied areas are near the entrance where several Western fast food chains are located and a parking structure repurposed as a kart racing track.

The planned Shangri-La Hotel has not been constructed.

As of 2009, the mall had been renamed the New South China Mall.

south-china-mall.jpg

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

THat was a pretty interesting little piece for me.

Illustrates how a lot of new money is invested in China based on personal edification and prestige rather than economic rationality. It also shows how the govt here supports and facilitates economic failures by continuing to support projects like this. Some really good camera work in this as well along with fitting back ground music.

I'm having very strong doubts that China will soon rival the US....

THat was a pretty interesting little piece for me.

Illustrates how a lot of new money is invested in China based on personal edification and prestige rather than economic rationality. It also shows how the govt here supports and facilitates economic failures by continuing to support projects like this. Some really good camera work in this as well along with fitting back ground music.

I'm having very strong doubts that China will soon rival the US....

yeah, I think the "too big to fail" comment was very telling as well. The canal worker was funny. I think most people would say that the anecdote about waste being pumped into the canal was evidence of the communist thinking still at work, but if anything I'd say its closer to the state of current capitalism. lets not look at the root causes and fix the problem, we'll just have a crew of people tidy up the mess every morning.

Yeah, there's a new mall just around the corner from here that is still only about 70% occupied. It was opened in time for the Olympics, like a lot of other stuff but it has also failed to fire 100% the difference is that this Mall is in an affluent area of a city f 17 million people.

There is massive construction going on everywhere here and most of it is aimed at the higher end of the market. tHere is very little that I see that is based on middle and lower end. I'm sure that market is going to get crowded out and there will be an oversupply....., meaning cheaper luxury items for ol' Christo!!!

I don't think there is enough experience with market economies here yet, there is the massive issue of prestige in conspicuous and unsustainable consumption along with a government that props up an inefficient and irrational economy. They are the three reasons as to why China won't be the coming power this century as everyone wants to think.

Chinese chicks are hot and love to fuck white boys. Great time to be here!!

They built some fucking huge mall and surrounding complex 10 or so miles out of the city where I live and it hasn't taken off yet after 2 or 3 years, I went there once and they didn't even have a store in the actual mall where I could buy a cd.. They did however have several spot I could find scarface posters and get my nails done which neither is up my alley.. On the contrary, a failing mall the same distance from my house in a different direction which was built in the 70's and deemed obsolete is flourishing with the addition of tiffany, coach, burberry, and multiple other high end stores you can't find anywhere else in the area.. Apparently bigger is not better in this case but when all is said and done I'm a broke ass mural painter who doesn't go to malls and shops locally in my end of the city to support the little guy.