The BMX Thread

R@ndomH3ro

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
how on earth does that work?

and why hasnt it been applied to mountainbiking yet?

unless your running tubeless, pinch flats are the bain of every cx riders existence. especially if you ride a rigid bike

I don't think it won't work for anything but 20". MTB tires are lower pressure/wider diameter while 20" BMX (especially street) runs at similar pressure to road tires. If you tried to apply this to a 26" rim the tube would be flopping around in there...and adhesion wouldn't help, wherever you applied glue or tape would simply stress the tube due to torsion or friction.

And road bikes? Forget about it.

If you're looking for something in between for cross, look into Tufo tubular clinchers. I don't know if they're still being made but some CX racers swear by them.

http://www.flybikesbmx.com/noticias/cobraeng.htm

This will explain about the Cobra tube...also, please stop relating things to mountain biking or road biking. This is BMX!! Different thing, different needs, different mind set, different products

dude, i know, but im saying, i know mtb tire pressure and bmx tire pressure is similar (you run your bmx tires at 100, i run my mtb tires at 105) and the width is close enough. if i could start selling tubes that you can fix a flat without taking the tire off the rim to mtb racers, id be making a fortune.

i cant even tell you how many races ive seen that the leader/leaders didnt even podium because of a flat.

and i know that wouldnt work for road bikes.

and shai, i know about clinchers. but it was my understanding you needed a special wheel.

but enough with the mtb talk.

I did about 35 miles on my BMX last night. Rode from Englewood to downtown Denver, rode the midnight classic, then back. Couple stops at bars along the way, so it wasn't a straight shot. My whole body hurts today.

I also rode a track bike for the first time on the last mile. So much easier than i thought.

Nina ( DK ) is in Cologne , Germany right now riding with a bunch of other girls . Never seen Germany but it looks rad .

37523_1493786511884_1450693934_1242.jpg

Nina & Angie Marino

37565_1493781951770_1450693934_1242.jpg

Nina , Angie Marino & Camila Goddy Harambour from Argentina .

38469_1493782471783_1450693934_1242.jpg

This is the Course they were riding .

38105_1493784671838_1450693934_1242.jpg

This bike looks rad as fuck .

OMG, those chicks are riding slow seats...I guess they must be a bunch of faggots.

HAL, good job on the ride! I have rode my bmx far and I know the pain you are talking about. Back and quad are sore as hell, arms are shaky...it sucks. But then again it feels good man

dude, i know, but im saying, i know mtb tire pressure and bmx tire pressure is similar (you run your bmx tires at 100, i run my mtb tires at 105) and the width is close enough. if i could start selling tubes that you can fix a flat without taking the tire off the rim to mtb racers, id be making a fortune.

i cant even tell you how many races ive seen that the leader/leaders didnt even podium because of a flat.

and i know that wouldnt work for road bikes.

and shai, i know about clinchers. but it was my understanding you needed a special wheel.

but enough with the mtb talk.

Here's a Tufo-

http://www.tufonorthamerica.com/tiretypes.php

And 105 psi? You're either riding some really narrow slicks or suicidal. 65 psi is pushing it for groomed trails.

Random- a decent 700x25 clincher should take at least 115 psi. Some go up to 150+ but they aren't good for much besides racing...you'll go fast but the ride will jar the fillings out of you head on normal pavement.

yall are weird :lol:

the trails i ride are insanely rooty, and with anything under 80psi your going to get pinch flats.

its why all the locals win most of the races there, people from out of town usually ride low pressure and dont realize its a guaranteed flat before the laps over.

I don't want to call bullshit but what you're telling me is completely counterintuitive to almost everything I know.

Offroad racers always check the course out ahead of time so they can set up their bikes correctly. That way they can pick the right tires for the course, dial in the preload on their shocks, get their gearing sorted out, have their bars and seat set up accordingly...no mechanical detail is overlooked.

As far as tire pressure goes, you want to have the widest tire that will take the most pressure so you can go fast, be comfortable and maintain traction. By contrast, riding overinflated tires offroad would be like trying to ride rollerskates in a gravel pit...regardless of how light you ride within five minutes into the ride your entire upper body would be numb, your ass would feel like hamburger and cornering would be impossible on anything softer than hardpacked dirt.

I have done tons of long distance rides off the beaten path on all sorts of different bikes and trails, so I have a pretty good idea how to go fast and stay comfortable.

okay first, the DEC series isnt the Maxxis southern classic... ive seen people on walmart bikes with plastic flats enter those races (and fail horribly, but thats beside the point) they dont take mtb riding very serious down here. the DEC series is a series where you can race one of 12, or 12 of 12 races, it doesnt matter. and it only costs about 10 bucks to enter.

i ride a rigid mtb, with 105ish tire pressure and im not the only one, and i dont have any problems. and im not talking about little one lap, 6 mile rides, im talking about 36 miles races.

and if this means anything, theres only about 150 feet of sandy soil, no gravel and the trails arent ridden when they are wet because of erosion. so at parts its much like a road with very very very bad cracks and potholes and elevation changes. not to say it isnt difficult, our trail is the most technical in north carolina east of the Appalachians.

acer--are you using some form of metric craziness? 105?

i ride between 35 and 45. i don't think i've had a mountain tire that had a range higher than 60 psi.

i've ridden pure rocks, roots, sand, mud, and never gone over 45... i know guys who ride 60, and i've heard of guys that ride 75, but 105? i dunno.

Cosigned, I've never run above 60 and I've never gotten a pinch, and I ride on some rocky/root-ey ass trails. I've actually only seen one once, but my dude was running probably 30-35 on a super rocky downhill. Fucked his rim up too.

Anyways, enough bullshit. Frame came in today.

4810562331_1daa2edaeb_z.jpg

Decals look doper than I expected in person, maybe I'll keep 'em on.

4811188894_a1aa642e8b_z.jpg

Headtube cutout, with a sticker inside for visibility. No B on the brake bridge, I guess I ended up with an older model. Really happy with the frame, and even more excited to get it built up. Random, if you've got a wheelset lying around get at me. Aside from that I think I'm set on parts.

I'm just happy I live a 15 minute drive from this place....

rays-mtb-indoor-park.jpg

The fixed gear queers are shunned from even thinking that they're gonna ride that wack shit inside or on the outdoor trails .

:lol:

thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisssssssssssssss is amazing. it makes me want to take another ohio trip just to go there and check it out

Archived