long trip ---- advice?

ubejinxed

heya people..

i know i'm not on here much anymore but since i know this place has some world travelers and folk who live abroad n such i thought i'd ask for some advice..

i'm taking a trip to celebrate my long anticipated graduation from hell. .. i'll be out for about 50 days..

i'm hitting

Hong kong for only a night and day

then the philipines to meet my friend who is from there for a week

then indonesia for a week

then thailand for a week

then dubai for a week to visit my friend who lives there

then to israel (been before but haven't been to eilat yet and i love tel aviv) hopefully meeting up with a friend there

then into istanbul for two weeks where i'm meeting up with another friend, but during these two weeks i plan on going down to greece as well.

so if anyone has travel advice and location advice on

dubai, indonesia, thailand turkey and greece i would very much appreciate it.

tesseract you out there still?

i'm thinking of taking a boat down from istanbul to greece, but not sure about that. where it goes or what.. i'm figuring about a week in greece too.

SO advice?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah i'm not even worried about the philipines.. the day i arrive from hong kong we're going out clubbing in manila ... then off to some beach.

i think he's gonna line up some motards for us too! heck yeah riding in the PI... but it's gonna be wicked hot...

You ain't kidding. Traffic laws are more like suggestions in Asia. Oh and it was like 400 degrees when I was there for Christmas. They don't make fat people in southeast Asia.

You ain't kidding. Traffic laws are more like suggestions in Asia. Oh and it was like 400 degrees when I was there for Christmas. They don't make fat people in southeast Asia.

yeah we'll be doing off-roading i think.. i'm not trying to get run over.. .. and yeah i'm afraid for the heat... i'll be naked the whole time

dubai is supposed to hit around 115 degrees!!! i would've rather gone another time of year but i can't swing it..

thats a really shitty rate.

hrmmm may is the beginning of the rainy season but its the very beginning so you should be okay.

Manila is a shithole. But if you want shopping DO NOT GO TO GREEN HILLS, go to divisoria. It is more ghetto but you pay about half the price for everything. Only thing Green Hills has that is nice is the pearl market.

Honestly the smog in manila is killer. I got so sick I was almost quarantined in the states on my way home form there. Also in the Philippines DONT LET ANYONE CARRY YOUR BAGS! the porters are aggressive but totally unnecessary. Also, do not ever ever take your eyes off your important stuff...not even if you think you know what you are doing..not for once second. Get one of those neck wallets.

hrm, god...have some halo halo for me. I love that stuff.

Oh what beach are you going to?

It will be really hot. Get used to being soaked through the entire day. Also, bring a bandana or something with you everywhere you go. If on jeepneys youll need it to cover your face and mop up sweat about 45 times a second.

Also..bring toilet paper with you everywhere. NOWHERE has it in washrooms. Not in malls, not in restaurants, nowhere.

hahaha, good tips mesthree. i forgot all about the toilet paper thing.

divisoria is rad. when i was staying in Manila i was a 15 minute jeepney ride from there. i bought so much stuff, I'm still wearing tshirts that i bought and that was 7 years ago.

if you want an awesome and cheap meal get your friend to take you to a topsilog place. tocino, sinegang, and lognaisa (sp?) served basically out of someones kitchen. so good. Oh! get fresh pandesal and butter every morning for breakfast with fresh coconut milk.

the street food is so good there.... fish balls, meat skewers, halo halo.. damn.

beaches...i went to hundred islands. its basically a hundred tiny islands all within a 45 minute boat ride of the mainland with one main one that is like the community beach and theres a bunch of smaller ones that you can camp on and be the only one there. super nice

thats a really shitty rate.

hrmmm may is the beginning of the rainy season but its the very beginning so you should be okay.

Manila is a shithole. But if you want shopping DO NOT GO TO GREEN HILLS, go to divisoria. It is more ghetto but you pay about half the price for everything. Only thing Green Hills has that is nice is the pearl market.

Honestly the smog in manila is killer. I got so sick I was almost quarantined in the states on my way home form there. Also in the Philippines DONT LET ANYONE CARRY YOUR BAGS! the porters are aggressive but totally unnecessary. Also, do not ever ever take your eyes off your important stuff...not even if you think you know what you are doing..not for once second. Get one of those neck wallets.

hrm, god...have some halo halo for me. I love that stuff.

Oh what beach are you going to?

It will be really hot. Get used to being soaked through the entire day. Also, bring a bandana or something with you everywhere you go. If on jeepneys youll need it to cover your face and mop up sweat about 45 times a second.

Also..bring toilet paper with you everywhere. NOWHERE has it in washrooms. Not in malls, not in restaurants, nowhere.

awesome advice.. thanks.. my friend has a car and know a lot of people there so i hope it will be ok... but ick yeah sweating..

what do you recommend for clothing?

to be honest as fun as it seems, long vacations suck pretty bad and 50 days will turn from really fun and exciting into torture.

But to each his own.

Thailand go to ko samet for a nice beaches and few tourists. Talk to the person at your hotel/hostel if they can call a taxi for you and you should be able to get a two hour cab ride there and back for $10

Go the go go bars. Yes I know you’re a girl but hell live a little they’re fun.

Don’t eat the dried fruit eat only the fresh. The locals say the conditions that they dry them in are gross.

don't use a taxi unless they use the meter. if they refuse go to the next taxi until they do use it.

dress conservatively when going to temples.

to be honest as fun as it seems, long vacations suck pretty bad and 50 days will turn from really fun and exciting into torture.

But to each his own.

yeah i have a feeling it will be like this..

last august i was away for a month in israel and it was ok... but that was because i was in one place the whole time.. i think that the moving around too much is that makes it unbearable. i was in spain for 2 weeks last summer too and that wore me out because i was at a new hostel every night... but if i can put my stuff in one place for more than a couple days then i should be fine.. the constant in-transit thing blows.. ... and i'm going to miss my dog like crazy...

but i figure i might as well do it while i can before i re-join the full time work force.

thanks for the advice though.. appreciated.

yeah....wear as little clothing as posisble hah.

I mean keep in mid that it is a mega catholic place...at the beach you will see local girls in shorts and t shirts in the water.....and only foreigners wear bikinis and stuff but no one will really care. Youll get stared at but no one will bug you.

In Manila, hrmm no one wears flips flops or shorts to work or anything but if you are bumming around the malls and stuff its totally fine.

Bring sunblock with you. its really expensive there.

Also DO NOT eat street ice cream. or anything street food that isn't cooked. Also keep your moth closed in the shower. the water is fucked.

and also...as a female....bring any womens products you may need with you because you will not find it there at all!!!

spend more time in hong kong. its awesome.

CHAI WAN BOYS

if you wanna dip out of bangkok in thailand, chang mai is rad. tons of temples and awesome stuff.

indonesia's a big country, where you going? didnt you just spend like 3 months there? i can hook you up wiht spots in ubud if you happen to make it out that way. real awesome monkey temples and shit. one of the most beautiful places ive ever been.

and also...as a female....bring any womens products you may need with you because you will not find it there at all!!!

my girlfriend had no trouble finding stuff like that there. if you go to one of those huge SM malls there will be drug stores like the ones here. and if i remember correctly there's a big grocery store in divisoria that has everything too.

but if you're brand specific, yeah, bring your own girly things.

...looks like the philippines is covered - right down to the tampons. haha

When you're in Dubai, try to check out this hotel:

The Burj Al Arab --from what i've heard, it's the only 7 star hotel in the whole world.

_editor_burj_al_arab_01.jpg

i don't know if this is real, but they've got a suicide tennis court on the roof:

tennis_court_burj_al_arab_hotel_2.jpg

or golf: (yes, that's tiger woods. you have to be tiger woods rich to stay there)

burj-al-arab-dubai-hotel-sail-arab-emirates-tiger-woods-playing-golf-04.jpg

is it me, or does the hotel look like a UFO that landed and attacked a small village?

7-burj-al-arab-hotel.jpg

all you ballers and stackers think you're big time --then go stay here. cheapest room $1000 a night, sweet goes for $28,000 a night.

shitty on the architecture for manila. The japanese flattened it all. there are some beautiful buildings scattered about other places.

ahh yeah cock fights! totally go to one. Crazy shit in there. Youll be the only woman except for whores. hahaha. that shit is just completely insane. The throw the money across the ring and it works on honour system.

the city hall is pretty nice. my girls uncle was secretary to the mayor. exclusive tours, what!

oh, the graveyards are something to see, too. if i had to compare it to something i'd say they're like the one in new orleans for style, but they have mansion sized mausoleums that individual families own and are taken care of by families that live in the graveyard

(talking about manila again)