Abstracts

Bojangles

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
these are pretty old, but i'm curious to know if there's anything to them or if it's just a bunch of bullshit...tell me what y'all think.

3551981027_cbbda005fb.jpg

There's definitely something here... may I ask how you produced it?

There's definitely something here... may I ask how you produced it?

sure...i appreciate the feedback. it's just three layers of spray paint over torn bits of newspaper. light to dark. i have this thing lately with minimalist shit like that and i can't decide if it's just not enough or what..but yeah, thanks again on the feedback. maybe i'll post some more when i get home later on.

Anger... the second and third one are nice. Well, the second one without the animal print background would be nice. I like the dark colors of those two, though.

Bo... I'll show a little bit of everything. Reading up on how to use In Design so I can get started on this thing and get it out!

i dont understand anything about that^

also that is a major problem i have with most abstracts. when i dont know the medium or culture i instantly think "what in the hell is that." please explain...

Also does anyone else feel supper lost when they see random sculptures/patterns??

In addition whats a good way to view "art" with out the back ground explanation?

i dont understand anything about that^

also that is a major problem i have with most abstracts. when i dont know the medium or culture i instantly think "what in the hell is that." please explain...

Also does anyone else feel supper lost when they see random sculptures/patterns??

In addition whats a good way to view "art" with out the back ground explanation?

Well the google brain could have yielded you most of the answers to your questions.

That aside: " He is best known for creating sculptures from old automobiles (or parts of) that bring the Abstract Expressionist style of painting into three dimensions. " (Wikpedia)

He started out in the 50's and has been working since then.

Also, I think that the necessity for context while viewing art, is not always but sometimes totally batshit. You shouldn't have to be an art historian to be aesthetically moved by something and I think it's particularly interesting that you raise the point with abstract art, and namely abstract expressionism. (Fine, cite me for being a western post-collegiate white male) But with abstract art I think part of what makes it special is the immediacy it can have. In the instant that you see it or interact with it, there's the delivery or movement of the aesthetic experience. There's no searching for symbolism or understanding what the darkened windmill means or the hand on the shoulder signifies, but rather whether or not your interaction with the mass of paint or metal has had some substantive effect on the viewer. Pending you buy into the mindset of paint on a canvas, or of the plastic arts as having aesthetic power, then you're liable for what I'd at least consider a relatively non-contextual experience.

How you ready yourself for that kind of thing, I have no idea. Maybe it comes from an appreciation of fundamental aspects of art- color, line, composition? Same thing as everything else, I guess.

u0009035big.jpg

john-chamberlain-ca-doro-spike.jpg

John Chamberlain

To answer Complex's question about these. The first thing I do is notice the overall form, then appreciate the placement of each section in relative placement to the next, that is making the whole form. (For something like these, I even mentally flatten them to a 2-d perspective) Look at those shapes and angles in those...pretty cool!

Think about those angles and patterns in a graffiti format for a second before you move on.

Next, I take in the colors, first as a whole then view them again, relative to their surroundings.

It's sort of like drinking wine. You can chug it and get drunk and sick or you can learn to appreciate the subtle flavors one at a time. /noartfag