Abstracts

Bojangles

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I don't know if it's because I really like the depth and texture of Antoni Tapies' work or what... but this piece is very nice.

S7300084-1.jpg

The burn mark is fine by me. I think if it was structured it would really deviate from the entire piece. But that's just me. I see where dude is coming from with the skull thing but I'm fine with the way it is.

Nice post...

;5856080']Wow. Shit Joker you stumped everyone or that downtime got everyone off track.

Im posting mine tomorrow. And if Not Let me See OK New Project easy one just to get the ball rolling. White Paper Ink Sketch with Sumi or something comparable. One Color only. No Word. Or if you want to do letters do your own name. But prefer just a design. Deadline Friday Whenever.

GO!

Let's get this thread back on schedule.

I actually made something.

I sorta made it based on the golden spiral again. i didn't mean to, but it came out that way overall. (don't mind the stuff on the bottom, i am too lazy to crop, because well its too early in the morning and I have already wasted enough time with this rather than doing my actual work.) (or pay attention to it, some kid around here writes rolex, and I was thinkin bout the letters. in no way do i actually practice, i acknowledge that now, so i am well prepared for those letters to be shit)

its has been an odd fall/winter transition here in western mass, i think that influenced this as well.

DSCN0102.jpg

(sorry for the shitty lighting, i know nothing about using cameras)

the view outside the window this morning

DSCN0101.jpg

First time I've gotten time to really stop back in here in awhile.

First off, here's a piece I did for part of a group show. I'm considering it abstract for now because it's one 8"x8" panel that will be joined together with 23 more to create one painting.

None of the artists know what the final image will be:

l_905decc1f6599b5730d8dc898aa9cdbe.jpg

Next up, two more of my other abstracts:

"Look no further"

l_bb7ab82fb59a0b174be043e50d184189.jpg

"Sun over flatlands"

l_f34b542f373982ee85e5be3b9ae9eeb7.jpg

crooked.jpg

Here is what i would liked to have seen the scribbles on the bottom just threw me off and it made it hard for me to concentrate.

But this is nice i really like the right side where the sketchy lines kind float off. The actual geometry plays well also and if this were a preliminary sketch for a painting i think it could make for a good painting the composition works, and i would like to see color or paint taken a step further after. My only change would be to try it without the eye, the eye is rendered well enough, but it really divides the painting with me as a viewer meaning is this great structured compositon just a accident or planned and was the eyeball just thrown in without meaning for the overall style which is non-objective. It is really have the best of both worlds in a work like this.

Maybe replace the eye with a more simple geometric and sketched down version of itself as i know it represents a spacial relationship in the composition its rendering takes away its necessity. This is the beauty of sketches they give you the ability to try and try again but evolving an idea towards a painting. Good Job i really like it.

Nice work Bo also

I like the style and everything but to me im more of a weirdo when it comes to surface and i think it would be cool if you experimented a bit more in your surface. The Colors composition all that is amazing what would throw me off if i walked into to the gallery would be the surface. Maybe its just me, but that alone can make an avg painting amazing. Its a craft, and it seems a bit more authentic when done correctly. Just a suggestion since it seems like you paint alot it would be an experiment. Try to use something that would hide the different layers in your paint. Lake layering levels of transparent on top of your finished product. Or maybe pouring clear epoxy, dhamar varnish if oils, not sure about gel medium as it still has a superficial look when dry. I don't know anyone got any ideas or am i just crazy.

;5881156']

Here is what i would liked to have seen the scribbles on the bottom just threw me off and it made it hard for me to concentrate.

But this is nice i really like the right side where the sketchy lines kind float off. The actual geometry plays well also and if this were a preliminary sketch for a painting i think it could make for a good painting the composition works, and i would like to see color or paint taken a step further after. My only change would be to try it without the eye, the eye is rendered well enough, but it really divides the painting with me as a viewer meaning is this great structured compositon just a accident or planned and was the eyeball just thrown in without meaning for the overall style which is non-objective. It is really have the best of both worlds in a work like this.

Maybe replace the eye with a more simple geometric and sketched down version of itself as i know it represents a spacial relationship in the composition its rendering takes away its necessity. This is the beauty of sketches they give you the ability to try and try again but evolving an idea towards a painting. Good Job i really like it.

Word, thanks for the input.

I had initially just drawn the eye and worked out from there.

I would like to change this into a color piece. I just my try painting for once. I have a bunch of gauche left so I'll prolly try that.

thanks for cropping it too.