Abstracts

Bojangles

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

KOH-

I like the landscape quite a bit, and felt only somewhat sure of the last piece, but I figured out what bothers me in both of them. In the far right of the landscape you introduce what I assume is one of the two structures that was supposed to be in it, but it doesn't fit the rest to me. I feel the same way about the little circles and arrows that look sponged on in the first.

It almost seems like filler in a piece that would be stronger without it. I remember in highschool ap art, doing non-objective work and seeing people do the same stuff. (I am not alluding that your skill level is that of someone in highschool, juts trying to convey a trap I think people fall into when trying to do non-objective art), Because one is removing themselves from the natural compulsion to mirror the world and place themselves in a place where experiential stimulus elicits an indirectly referential abstraction, there is immediately a loss of explicit boundary between what is too much or not enough. The choice to reduce this or that characteristic of form to this or that stroke or color relationship becomes arbitrary in the singular yet inclusive in the whole. This is where I take issue with the yellow work in both pieces. I feel like it was that step beyond what can be seen as fitting the form of abstraction and reduction displayed in the overall piece. Yes, theses are abstractions, but they convey a sense to understand that abstraction implicitly. It is this implicit method behind the abstraction that need be continuous (at least in my opinion) for a successful piece (in the holistic sense).

Basically, I think the yellow forms displayed in the first lack the refinement of abstraction that is in the rest of the piece. In the second piece it fits much better, but there still seems to be a tight relationship between the shaded increments and the dotted red lines that lacks connection to the yellow structure on the right. The red dots suggest an unbroken line and thus a form to see some distance in front of you, while the incremental gradients in the background suggest a continuous variation in depth through what I imagine would be the lighting against it. Then there is just the yellow form. It expresses some sense of shape while leaving it ambiguous, but it doesn't fit with the way the other two methods suggest that implicit form. The black and the red are separations of form by degree, while the yellow form just seems unfinished.

Not to go off and give critique without having any production to contribute, I have just been working on my senior's thesis, needed a break and figured I'd voice a thought while my mind was still keen from doing work.

Hope what I was thinking comes across.

I dont think any of us fail, but i do like that we are getting broken down so well. It is a fresh breathe to be analyzed and critiqued. I like the work, but i have a different eye, and established sense of an aesthetic pallete for this type of work.

Come on keep the discussion coming. I just laid down a pencil composition for my work, it has nothing to do with anything that i would even consider working on, but to stick with a plan and actual principle in a work is something i am not used to and want to see where it will take me, and what actual weaknesses will show there faces.

abs_landscape.jpg

mine is a piece of shit

at least it was small and didnt take super long

i might do another one, as i like what was in my head, but i executed it poorly

pause2.jpg

i re-did the pause piece

ugh i hate this shit sometimes

i saw a dope abstract painting at a gallery recently that looked like a landscape, it was savage

Here it is. I based it on the diagram below. The Golden Rectangle and logarithmic spiral. I always wanted to do a study or painting based up on this or the golden mean. So with a landscape i decides to see what happened.

log-spiral.gif

CIMG5388.jpg

I drew the diagram roughly and had to stare at it for a long time to try to compose something. I took the easy way and made a composition really similiar, i could of took a more unstructured application of it or all together more abstract approach. But i figured its an excercise that i can go back to and work through again.

It kinda worked its way out, as a half human type lion sitting atop a pyramid. I guess its the symbolist in me that still apreciates the work of artists like Caspar David Friedrich who's landscapes to this day amaze me, Gustave Moreau's watercolors a big inspiration, and William Blake's the ancient of days is one of my favorite works of art.

Posia. I can see what you were going for, and the mistakes you made were mostly tecnincal.

First of all. It looks like you tried to do this all in one setting. I know some people who can stay awake untill they finish something. But honestly, i think you should have just done your light color, then waited etc. also i would have seriously made sure to keep the brushes clean, and i wouldnt have thinned out the paints a little. i still like it.

koh i couldnt really imagine what it was going to look like untill i saw it and then thought "oh, that makes sense"

i like it.

i reallly want to see what joker is gonna do for this.

I enjoy having my stuff critiqued. don't get me wrong. I'm just making the point that were, some of us doing things we aren't aren't in the practice of. Even if, and ESPECIALLY if we like the piece we've done, we should be getting torn up and broken down. It's the only way to really get any better.

I appreciate the crits.

Poesia. i've used the golden rectangle theory alot since I draw alot of filligree and things like that. I wonder if you could have done a more minimalist version of that exact same piece. The fuscia pinkish color throws me off a bit. Am I right in assuming that it's an animal curled up in a cave like hole with it's tail coming out in the swoop of the spiral? If so, then I like it. It looks somewhat similar to Clive Barkers paintings. Lose, but moody, and possibly the middle part to some unknown weird story.

;5813380']Here it is. I based it on the diagram below. The Golden Rectangle and logarithmic spiral. I always wanted to do a study or painting based up on this or the golden mean. So with a landscape i decides to see what happened.

I drew the diagram roughly and had to stare at it for a long time to try to compose something. I took the easy way and made a composition really similiar, i could of took a more unstructured application of it or all together more abstract approach. But i figured its an excercise that i can go back to and work through again.

This construction has been a point of fascination for me for years. Much of my doodlings have involved just me trying to construct the relationship of the Fibonacci series by drawing the golden spiral as perfectly as I could without the aid of any measure.

I am gonna post up the last two things I ever did involving it. Both were assignments for a color theory class I took last January. I hadn't had a formal art class since high school and it was an interesting experience to step back into an academic model of art that I so loathed.

The first is just a print I came up with to fill time for an assignment I didn't really enjoy. The second was something I much more preferred. I had more time to pay attention to the construction of the series of squares and I was happier with the result. The exercise for me in this one was the ability to interpolate the relations of the squares in the series outside the frame of the page. I tried the best I could to give each square a color I felt matched the weight of the space on the page. I hope the two pieces next to each other serve as an interesting comparison of our minds ability to abstract mathematical relationships and represent them as best as we can within different time periods. I see it almost as a comparison of rendering capabilities of a computer with a set limitation to its physical capacities for computation within a certain time frame.

anywho, I didn't think I would contribute to this thread, but Poseia gave me something I know I have thought a lot about.

DSCN0100.jpg.d313bd7fc72072f7691992fe1e659dd9.jpg

DSCN0099.jpg.367901f83a59707446183e2421858bb2.jpg

Poesia. i've used the golden rectangle theory alot since I draw alot of filligree and things like that. I wonder if you could have done a more minimalist version of that exact same piece. The fuscia pinkish color throws me off a bit. Am I right in assuming that it's an animal curled up in a cave like hole with it's tail coming out in the swoop of the spiral? If so, then I like it. It looks somewhat similar to Clive Barkers paintings. Lose, but moody, and possibly the middle part to some unknown weird story.

I was going to do a more do a more color field based watercolor on the same composition but when i seen an image it had to be a bit more rendered, but i do still have intentions of doing another study of it. Stepping outside regular outlines i wanted to do something a bit different. I do see now where i did make alot of mistakes, and that fuschia is also one of them. Also the pyramid the animal is sleeping on looks more like a floor and i can see the cave now, but it was supposed to be a pyramid and a black moon behind it. And the tail is supposed to be part of the spiral his actual face is the middle of the spiral. I was going to make it black like an eclipse, but didnt put a halo type of effect. I wasnt sure if it was finished but now i can see that i need to go back over it and tighten it up a bit. Everyone thanks for the feedback.

Enigmatic i intentionally like my colors muddied together, not sure why but i am not personally a fan of clean lines when i paint for myself. I can appreciate those that do though, but my work is usually as rough as possible. But i do see your points, and there are ares i need to make some adjustments to color, as it dried the colors changed alot.

crooked. i like the paintings, i too on this project didnt measure out the actual rectangles i kind of eyed it. The actual ratios came out better than i thought. I think i might do a couple of more studies on this because i like the fact that it was structured, but i still could build something that was unorthodox out of it. To me the ability to create an idea or perception of chaos with ordered structure is the basis of most of my real artwork and paintings. I havn't painted an actual painting in along time. These studies are helping me get some kinks out. Thanks everyone. T