Abstracts

Bojangles

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
I hear you. To this day I try not to get too involved with the ideas and trends of other artists before me. I just do what feels right. I feel it helps keep my personal views on art clear. This has deemed me the title of "outsdier artist" locally when I speak to those in the know but I could give a crap.

you know i agree so much with you on this... and then i feel that its a total cop out, and reflects a laziness.

You know with your access to information and ability to intellectualize and speak about what you do, I kinda feel like you're (i'm) slightly obligated to do some research. if for now other reasons then to know your not regurgitating a thought someone might have finished that could lead you to the next thought and be rewarding and not rehashing... And then theres ignorance is bliss, which is true a LOT.

Im conflicted. anyway just a thought not meant to be a personal admonishment.

Good work in all. This was kind of the test run, where everyone doesnt know what to expect or the level of work needed. I think the next project might step up a little. I like the contributions from other artists that i dont know well either. And Seeking nice work i have never seen much of your work except the those paintings. Its amazing that we can just all have a sketch session without actually being around each other at all.

KOH and Joker man as usual the casual greatness i come to expect from you guys like its so easy to just sketch a nice outline and cram in unique and distinct style.

Joker Those pages HOLY SHIT. Man im glad i never seen those, i might have in my younger years taken 95% of your style and made it mine. Amazing work, i know you hear it alot but maybe i when i get time i will have to finance a book of only your blackbooks i know it would be a success and would elevate you super cool boost mobile status. But i know you wouldnt let it get to your head, so i hope you do think about printing a greatest hits.

I dont want to jinx things or bring up old things for some of us, but someone should post some of this work in the ancient transcend thread. Im not sure who is still "DOWN" , but i will always carry that name and try to rekindle what we set out to do.

Bring it on Seeking.

Because I have never gotten multi qoute to work correctly, I am just gonna respond in order.

Allthewrongwords- I am just curious in people's artistic processes at all. I didn't quite know what I was looking for when I asked the question, so any response is what I will take. Thanks for your thoughts. I feel like the notion of compulsion towards this or that choice in an artistic setting is one of the most defining things about a person. To see the culmination of a person's thought processes in the form of an image to view is an interesting way to learn a lot about some one.

Seeking- I can dig that. I have felt that way with completely different subjects. I have only ever come to art from a perspective of science and an attempt to mirror the world. I have good drafting skills and technique to reach some sort of realistic perspective, but have never been able to remove myself enough from the visual experience to reach the type of abstractions you and the others in this thread do. That is why I so admire the work you all produce.

I think there is something to be said of having one's views that they developed organically over life being validated in their academic research. That we are people who have grown up in a period well after the artistic figures I mentioned gives them time to come into our regular experience without being identified with their originators. For us to see and come to conclusions that are reflected in work previous to us or contemporarie s of us should never discourage you, but only more so validate the feelings you have about what you do. I have never been able to fully mobilize that notion and actually produce something I feel is not a degraded xerox of some form I have been into. But again, that I can appreciate the beauty in these forms at all is participation enough for me. I have slowly been coming to terms with the idea that I am much better at viewing art than producing it.

Joker- I wonder where the furniture that your grandmother was into came from. I can understand notions of minimalism in furniture and architecture figuring into your work. Particularly some of the last drawings in the link you posted. One of the last ones on graph paper reminds me so much of the stuff I saw over the summer. I wish I could find examples of it online. I have been looking ever since I saw the exhibit. I tried take down some notes on my cell phone of artists, etc, but the docents thought I was tryin to take photos and they weren't havin that.

At any rate, your shit has me fascinated for days. And after seeing seekings work, I would love to see more work. KOH, I have always been a fan of what you put up on the boards.

And Bojangles. I had never seen any of your work until some period through this summer, but I wish it had been otherwise. Post up stuff more often, por favor.

I just want to say to everyone in here that I really enjoy seeing yall's work. 12oz, through all its bullshit, has always been a way for me to find art I wouldn't see otherwise.

I am drunk.

(I tried to find a photo of a bottle, but it didn't exist on google)

Stone Brewery Eleventh Anniversary Ale. 8.7% IPA.

Too good. If you are in MA or anywhere in the Northeast, try and find this before it gets sold out. I hate the north but there are some great microbrews out here.

you know i agree so much with you on this... and then i feel that its a total cop out, and reflects a laziness.

You know with your access to information and ability to intellectualize and speak about what you do, I kinda feel like you're (i'm) slightly obligated to do some research. if for now other reasons then to know your not regurgitating a thought someone might have finished that could lead you to the next thought and be rewarding and not rehashing... And then theres ignorance is bliss, which is true a LOT.

Im conflicted. anyway just a thought not meant to be a personal admonishment.

Good point. We do live in an age where I've actually stumbled virtually face first into online information about an artist who I had only heard of (Pollock for example) and then read up a bit because I was there. I think it's beginning to change with my age now as well. I'm sure I could bet a dollar that most of us in here are in the 30+ club(or dangerously close). Things are slowing down now and a Tuesday night at the bar is sometimes replaced by an evening of History Channel and Wikipedia. I think I have to be forcefed the knowledge at times, but when I am, I generally appreciate it.

I'm just trying to make sure that I don't take in the works of someone else mentally and before I know it, there a chunk of a Kandinsky painting floating in the background of one of mine.

Hell, five years ago, I wouldn't even listen to a word about abstract art in general. I thought it all was a scam. I was too busy being purely grafftastic.

I've never been an art history buff or anything, but I have always ejoyed visiting galleries and museums, or just reading art books, and seeing what else is out there.

I think that studying techniques and styles that people use in other genres is a great way to keep things from becoming stale in your own. Do you guys remember the stuff that Pastor was doing a few years back?

past05w.jpg

He had a striking uniqueness to his graffiti style, but I wonder if he was influenced at all by Seurat.

signac%20clipper.gif

My feeling has always been that you're exposed to art and design constantly, so you're not going to achieve some sort of artistic purity by conciously avoiding the influence of recognized artists; you're just going to be sub-conciously influenced by the other design elements in your environment, which can be anything from the lines and curves of the local architecture, to the color scheme in the place you have lunch. Your color palette might be coming from the production design of a show or movie you've been particularly into lately. Your choice of font, positioning, and layout might be based on a billboard you've been driving past a lot. This aesthetic might as well be informed by art that you like as well.

^^ I dont know, i dont think its abstractic, the picture it self. When it comes to abstract, i think of art made that can either symbolize something, express feelings, or just a design with no meaning, but yet looks neat. The picture above can be easily be pictured as a boat and and bridge, water, etc. The way he did it does however show some type of abstractic work. It it filled with many "ovaled" shapes of many precise colors.

greenlipmd3.png

When i did this, i was feeling recumbent, since i was laying on my bed.

i know you hear it alot but maybe i when i get time i will have to finance a book of only your blackbooks i know it would be a success and would elevate you super cool boost mobile status. But i know you wouldnt let it get to your head' date=' so i hope you do think about printing a greatest hits.[/quote']

you can print things pretty cheaply these days. doing a limited edition book, maybe 100 copies, with hand silk screened covers wouldnt be all that much. you could do it quality, and still affordably. hand signed and numbered, $50 each. you'd easily sell them out. $5,000. could easily cover the costs and make a little loot. go for it.

im thinking of the next one. i'll have the 'rules' posted tonight.

you can print things pretty cheaply these days. doing a limited edition book, maybe 100 copies, with hand silk screened covers wouldnt be all that much. you could do it quality, and still affordably. hand signed and numbered, $50 each. you'd easily sell them out. $5,000. could easily cover the costs and make a little loot. go for it.

Mine is more of a novel type book but I printed mine through lulu.com

I believe they do all types of books, as few or as many as you'd like per run.

ok, here we go.

word is

TIMBER

seeks: how do you feel about the word?

heavylox: well timber ||= wood = erection || = gay

seeks: ok, so what about PAUSE instead?

heavylox: yeah, lets do that.

ignore the above, word is now:

PAUSE

TWO COLORS ONLY

NO PREMADE PENCILS, PENS, MARKERS, ETC.

if you want to use something like that, you must make it yourself. please include a picture with your final work just for fun.

you may also use brushes, paints, or anything like that. the point is simply to get away from the usual tools we'd use on a black book page.

as for how much time to devote, i'd say try and take it a step or two beyond the last excercise, but not some mind blowing masterpiece. i think it's important to go in stages, and not take things too far too soon.

DEADLINE IS SUNDAY AT NOON

I don't know who suggested this to me the first time ( I think it was a friend who isn't a writer ) but I was completely intrigued by the idea. And for several reasons. One is because blackbooks are a thing of the past... they're just not as popular or used as much as just going out and getting up off your head or grabbing a scratch piece of paper and doodling something quick. With all the hours I spent in my books and the unfinished ideas never seen... it could be a good thing to share if done at a high quality. Second is because I have some good guest appearances in in a couple of those books. Don't know if I would include them or not but it might be kinda cool to do at the end of the book... an interesting way to end a book all about me. Third is because street artists are releasing books daily and it's usually about the finished work on the wall, never about their blackbook work. So in a sea of books about writers, it may just stand out.

I like the idea and I think I definitely need to investigate the possibility of printing a page for page version of my books.

Hmmmm... now who do I know that does really nice books?

Im glad to hear your positive response to the idea, i thought you might not want to get involved with that type of stuff.

I would like to see you really do this though, the right way with a good publisher even if it cost a bit more. Let me know if you get some quotes on pricing, maybe i can help you put it together. The world needs to see Joker.

Okay first, here's something I was playing around with while doing my timber piece:

smlineofsight.jpg

...And here's my timber piece:

timber.jpg

I have a friend that writes "Timber" so all I could picture were his pieces, fortunately it came out looking nothing like his style.

The timber piece is done in acrylics and a little spray paint.

the word was actually PAUSE, cause heavylox felt gay writing timber, but timber is acceptable also. and those are both super rad. i really under valued your abilities. ha. i mean, no offense, you were always a solid dude but i never had any idea of all this. i tend to imagine that everyone who hangs out in ch0 is a total toy. mostly that's based on the fact that 90% of the people in there are total toys.

Im headed to San Diego right now, so dont know if im gonna make the submission deadline. Ill be back sunday night. So maybe monday ill have mine done. Yeah SB Nice work, i think that is the best work i have seen from you. Maybe cause its more outline based and i love outlines. But it seems you stepped it up huge. Nice work, i guess these projects are elevating some of us. My turn Monday.

the word was actually PAUSE, cause heavylox felt gay writing timber, but timber is acceptable also. and those are both super rad. i really under valued your abilities. ha. i mean, no offense, you were always a solid dude but i never had any idea of all this. i tend to imagine that everyone who hangs out in ch0 is a total toy. mostly that's based on the fact that 90% of the people in there are total toys.

I totally get what you're saying and I've been finding that out more myself over time. I go in there to blow off steam and be the retard I used to be in real life. Thanks for the good words. Since I barely paint (graffiti) anymore except for legals these days, I've been trying to push forward in this genre. Good to hear some feedback from people outside of my circle.

smlineofsight.jpg

Sorry to quote an image but I feel like I need it to validate my post.

First, this is amazing.

Second, this is a great example to show to people who think everything has already been done and now writers are just borrowing from other writers. I've been a writer since 1985 and I've seen a ton of different styles but I've never seen anything quite like that. Originality stands out. Of course writers have done things similar in Europe but not like that.

Personally, I think letting go of the rules of writing and accepting the need to push our personal envelope even further opens our abilities to reach beyond what we once thought was unthinkable. This makes for good progress and pushes the boundaries open more. Something that is desperately needed in this subculture. Even if only a few heads get it, that makes a difference.

Great post Bojangles...