New "earth" found

Jake Stevens

yeah that shit was boring.

theo: on the subject of blackholes stolen from a textbook:

How does the theory predict the existence of black holes?

If the collapsing core of a supernova has a mass greater than 3 solar masses, then it must contract to a very small size - perhaps to a singularity, an object of zero radius. Near such an object, gravity is so strong that not even light can escape, and the region is called a black hole.

edit: note 1 solar mass = the mass of our sun

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

somthing so small but with as the mass as a couple suns. The gravity is so powerful not even light can escape it. If you fell into a black hole you would be torn in half,then those 2 halves would be torn in half,then those 4 halves would be torn in half,etc etc down to the very atoms youre made of.

what i quoted was from an astronomy textbook

the textbook defines mass as "a measure of the amount of matter making up an object"

an example of a small massive object is a neutron star which "is a star of a little over 1 solar mass compressed to a radius of about 10km"

i did a project on uranus in the 5th grade.

anyways, why did pluto stop being a planet?

because they kept finding more and more "planets" orbiting the sun, beyond pluto. they had to draw the line somewhere.

notice after mars, all the planets are giant gas planets. see how pluto doesn't fit in there.

instead it was reduced to a "dwarf planet" that's part of the the kupier (sp?) belt. this is the region with billions of comets (and numerous "dwarf planets") where they kept finding the 10th and 11th "planet" and so on.

pluto's orbit around the sun is also unorthodox, and at an extreme angle, similar to other kupier belt objects. at one point pluto even passes in front of neptunes orbit and comes closer to the sun than neptune.

i think it was a good call by the IAU. even before this i was always under the impression that pluto was more-or-less the residue of a bunch of comets that formed in the comet belt and took on a planetary-like orbit.

i'm taking an astronomy course right now.

the proffessor is only like 30 years old with a phd. smart dude. and i can tell he smokes a lot of weed.

also, he's always 35 minutes late to class every single day

i took one to cover a science requirement, was probably the most interesting course so far in my college career.

you taking a lab with it?