philly--->

cantbomb

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 26.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• i rok THE NORTHFACE

• Tax Report

• clownshoes

• vintage wears

who cares about a pieces?? this is philly.

all ya need is a hand and a straight/throw up in this city. i dont like it, but its fact........

you're kidding, right? graffiti is about mastering many styles of hands, throws, pieces, etc. its not about doing one thing and one thing only and to say that this is philly and its all about tagging is ridic. do these names ring bells:

estro, pep, ez, car, rh, pez, teaz, share, braze, pre, sew, ced, sat, credit, espo, dazer, suroc, mek, doze, clyde, razz, brask, ruzz, mr blint, dru, jaycee, erupt, spel, prize, pizzaz

etc etc etc etc etc etc .. ALL of these people did EVERYTHING. i agree that people here do not try to get better. too many heads think that a philly hand/wicked is god's gift to graffiti and the reality of it is IT'S NOT. piecing is just as much a part of our graffiti history as it is new york's or any other city with serious graff history. ive been flicking pieces in this city since 1982 so to say philly is all about hands is incorrect. that's essentially a slap in the face to everyone on that list and the many others who put in work in philly over the last three decades. i think a better thing to say would be that piecing is no longer a priority here and that's a shame because alot of us spent many years riding the el with our faces glued to the windows looking at the thousands of rooftop masterpieces, riding R lines, walking the waterfront, etc etc. all that rich history helped make this city famous for graffiti. there's no denying that. respect the craft.

• Like 1

you make good points deva... but all of those names are people who were already out of the game by the early 90's and all those locations you mentioned no longer exist... its a shame really....

it is a shame but i already know this topic is an uphill battle in this forum so im not gonna beat a dead horse. i think heads need to be a bit more open minded and take more time to perfect or at least improve their craft. shit, its even hard as hell to find good tags in this city let alone anything else. its just funny because when i started i wanted to be good at all that shit. steady b's lil brother taught me how to write. i used to sweat him in school everyday for hand alphabets and piece alphabets and he always laced me and eventually i got it so its really hard for me to fathom just wanting to do ONE thing all the time at a young age. if i were as young as alot of you guys i'd definitely be taking the time to get good and smoke shit on these walls.

it is a shame but i already know this topic is an uphill battle in this forum so im not gonna beat a dead horse. i think heads need to be a bit more open minded and take more time to perfect or at least improve their craft. shit, its even hard as hell to find good tags in this city let alone anything else. its just funny because when i started i wanted to be good at all that shit. steady b's lil brother taught me how to write. i used to sweat him in school everyday for hand alphabets and piece alphabets and he always laced me and eventually i got it so its really hard for me to fathom just wanting to do ONE thing all the time at a young age. if i were as young as alot of you guys i'd definitely be taking the time to get good and smoke shit on these walls.

I agree with Deva. Yes, the wicket makes Philly stand apart (and there's definitely a specific style to the hands that are like no other city) but it's not a replacement for a piece -- it's just another category of the game that other cities don't have. I would still prefer to look at a crazy wicket than a piece, but that's just out of preference, and I still have great respect for both when they're pulled off nicely.

you're kidding, right? graffiti is about mastering many styles of hands, throws, pieces, etc. its not about doing one thing and one thing only and to say that this is philly and its all about tagging is ridic. do these names ring bells:

estro, pep, ez, car, rh, pez, teaz, share, braze, pre, sew, ced, sat, credit, espo, dazer, suroc, mek, doze, clyde, razz, brask, ruzz, mr blint, dru, jaycee, erupt, spel, prize, pizzaz

etc etc etc etc etc etc .. ALL of these people did EVERYTHING. i agree that people here do not try to get better. too many heads think that a philly hand/wicked is god's gift to graffiti and the reality of it is IT'S NOT. piecing is just as much a part of our graffiti history as it is new york's or any other city with serious graff history. ive been flicking pieces in this city since 1982 so to say philly is all about hands is incorrect. that's essentially a slap in the face to everyone on that list and the many others who put in work in philly over the last three decades. i think a better thing to say would be that piecing is no longer a priority here and that's a shame because alot of us spent many years riding the el with our faces glued to the windows looking at the thousands of rooftop masterpieces, riding R lines, walking the waterfront, etc etc. all that rich history helped make this city famous for graffiti. there's no denying that. respect the craft.

EXOTICS, WICKEDS, [NOT WICKET], GANGSTER HANDS ETC def set philly apart for sure

when Nyc writers hit the Broadway #1 line in the 70's they all had philly gangster hands

courtest of TOPCAT from Philly who brought it up there , they renamed it Broadway Elegant .

but its all Philly..We did concentrate on tags alot in this town but writers in philly

did aspire to do NEW YORKERS [in the early 80s thats what we called them].My boy Eder

took me to see my first NEW YORKER on the R8 tracks in 84 ..it was Dazzle Swan Charm &

Nick Dream ..that day changed my life way more than Style Wars & Subway Art ..

Philly had a rich piecing history , and they all had a philly swag to them ..

It takes time and alot of practice, but i guess there are too many distractions nowadays

to sit around with a sketch book and do letters over and over again ..i admit , if i had a cell phone and a computer to look at ass all day back in the 80's i might not have wanted to practice drawing either..YOU GOTTA WANT IT , like anything else in life ..

there are a few guys that i see that are developing some nice styles I wont name people

in case i leave someone out ..be patient ,apply yourself ,respect the deep philly history and STOP THE VIOLENCE ....

deva, you missed my point. i agree with what you say. i hate that theres only a handful of people that piece in this city. i agree that you should be able to tag, throw up, and piece. thats what graff is about, but in this city you can be a king and not be able to piece. i can sit here and name a bunch of names of writers who never did a piece in their life and they are considered kings. but yall know em. pieces arent that important in the philly scene as in other parts of the world. thats all im sayin. like i said, i dont like it, but its true......

writers who can do it all get the utmost respect!!

with that said id rather see a block rallied with dope top 2 bottoms tags then a dope piece wall. must be the philly in me...........