<<< 12Oz Computer Tech Support SuperThread >>>

Mainter

the company i work for just bought mysql but i dont know shit.

i am reinstalling the xp OS and I am going to delete the partition i created..my question is the partition in question is on the C drive and lists 119485MB used and 117264MB free...so i am assuming that the free space can be utilized again once i delete the partition.

when i go to delete the partition i recieve the following:

system partition may contain diag. hardware, programs to start OS

delete only if you are sure it contains no such programs or if you are willing to lose them. DELETING A SYSTEM PARTITION MAY PREVENT YOUR COMPUTER FROM STARTING FROM THE HARD DISK UNTIL YOU COMPLETE INSTALLATION OF WINDOWS XP.

so i am assuming it would be safe to delete the partition to recover the free space and then just finish the installation from the cdrom...

anyone know the logistics of this one...sorry for the long reply!

ok so do you hve everything you want backed up? because if you are going to do it the way you just stated above then everything will be deleted

this means you will have the whole drive in 1 piece and you can split it up again

when spliting the partition you can go and split it 115GB or 117760MB to C: and then make another partion at the same time on the same menu of another remaining 115GB/ 117760MB (i think) if my math is right this will become yer D: partition

then go head and select the c: partition to install the XP OS

if you are plannig on a dual boot of xp and vista install xp first ( then vista because it will not work viceversa do to the bootloader order and it will not install

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

the thing is im giving up all togther on the dual boot...so i should be ok...i just want the disk spaced that i fucked over in allocation before i installed XP...my disk space went from 250G to 120G because of the way I fucked up...so I am going to proceed with only XP im just trying to maximize the disk space...so i guess what you are saying is proceed as i stated because i dont have anything on this system

I have a friend who's good at both. I'll ask him but I don't know if he'll have the time.

*edit- If he's available, I'll PM you his email address, then you can take it from there.

that would be awesome.

this thing shouldn't be more than a day or two of work. our guy bailed on us so i'm sort of just throwing the word out there.

seffiks - just mysql? we need someone who knows both really well

Guest shai_hulud
that would be awesome.

this thing shouldn't be more than a day or two of work. our guy bailed on us so i'm sort of just throwing the word out there.

seffiks - just mysql? we need someone who knows both really well

Just so I know what to tell him...my guess is this is some kind of database job, and he's really good with SQL. his last job was doing POS and inventory DB work for a grocery store, and he said he pretty much had to redo everything once he got there. Right now he's working with XML sites that incorporate .php scripting, so I think that's covered too.

He's in the Bay Area, so would he be able to do it from home?

Guest shai_hulud

That's what I'm guessing. He does most, if not all, of his work from home.

I just called him and left a message, HP. I may go to his house tonight, so if I do I'll get on here and let you know what he says.

Guest shai_hulud

Sometimes proxies won't work with certain sites, so just move on to the next one.

Eventually one will work. I never have to switch more than three times to find the right one.

Oh, and those are all double proxies, BTW.

hello,

i dunno if anyone can help. basically at the moment im staying away from home and using a different wireless (legit connection, not stealing wireless)

Im running vista, and getting 'good' to 'excellent' signal.

Every so often ill lose my connection although when i open the connection window it still says I have local and internet connection, with excellent strength. but browsers etc get nothing.

Eventually ill try clicking repair, it will say its gonna reset the network adapter (pinged the remote host and didnt get a response or something)

when it does this, CPU usage zooms up to 100%. the fan goes nuts and the whole things starts heating up. and basically I cant even force close any applications of processes. everything stops responding.

In the end i have to hold down the power button till it switches off.

this is pissing me off....... especially as usually I can sort of tell what is going wrong, here im baffled....

props to anyone who can help.

hello,

i dunno if anyone can help. basically at the moment im staying away from home and using a different wireless (legit connection, not stealing wireless)

Im running vista, and getting 'good' to 'excellent' signal.

Every so often ill lose my connection although when i open the connection window it still says I have local and internet connection, with excellent strength. but browsers etc get nothing.

Eventually ill try clicking repair, it will say its gonna reset the network adapter (pinged the remote host and didnt get a response or something)

when it does this, CPU usage zooms up to 100%. the fan goes nuts and the whole things starts heating up. and basically I cant even force close any applications of processes. everything stops responding.

In the end i have to hold down the power button till it switches off.

this is pissing me off....... especially as usually I can sort of tell what is going wrong, here im baffled....

props to anyone who can help.

if its not on a schedule ( meaning happens every 1 hour and so forth it means that there is an interference by a microwave or cordless phone even a police scanner/radio

but it should not freeze the connection like that that sort of makes me think its the card going faulty

have you tried changing the channel?

if not try switching it to 1/6/or 11 if its on one of them channels already switch to another one

Guest shai_hulud

Uninstall Norton and return it. I'm sure they have some kind of try it for 30 days or your money back deal.

Then get Avast! here-

http://www.avast.com/

-and install it. Make sure you deactivate and uninstall Norton first.

And ASK here before you go doing something crazy like buying and installing Norton again. There's usually a free program one of has used or heard of that can do a much better job.

how did it go?

i realised that bittorrent was still downloading fine whilst all this shit was happening and thought it was maybe to do with that.

so I havent opened bittorrent and it hasnt happened since...yet.

which is annoying cos im half way through downloading a film! I updated bittorrent the other day, maybe its linked? i dunno, it still might have nothing to do with bittorrent.

i realised that bittorrent was still downloading fine whilst all this shit was happening and thought it was maybe to do with that.

so I havent opened bittorrent and it hasnt happened since...yet.

which is annoying cos im half way through downloading a film! I updated bittorrent the other day, maybe its linked? i dunno, it still might have nothing to do with bittorrent.

finish downloading

and get utorrent