<<< 12Oz Computer Tech Support SuperThread >>>

Mainter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

so i just got a mac relatively recently, and we're still in that period of adjusting to it.

the wifey was loading some stuff from the mac on to her sidekick, and just unplugged it from the usb when she was done rather than ejecting it. now if we try to plug the sidekick back in via usb, it's not recognized by the mac.

does anyone know how to fix this?

part 2 of my mac ignorance, why can't i access the internet with boot camp?

yeah, pretty much. i haven't done much with it yet, since basically the only reason i got it is to use soulseek and yahoo (since yahoo for mac sucks). i suppose in theory i could just download those things, transfer them from the mac HD to the windows partition and go from there, but i don't even know if i can access the internet via bootcamp.

any time i've tried to open internet explorer, it just opens the preferences (home page, days to keep items in history, etc.)

no sweat. we've still got our pc, and we can just that if need be, but we definitely use the mac more often (especially since the pc is like 5 years old).

plus it's a pain in the ass to have paid all this fucking money for this thing, and have something like that happen. it's probably something with the sidekick.

Ok guys, i'd really like some help here. I set up a wifi dsl connection and it works fine. Only problem i have is that the start-up time extended from 1 minute to 3. To be exact, what happens is that the computer boots fine and fast and when everything seems to be loaded the avast icon stops rotating and the computer appears to be working fine. Apparently it works fine unless you hit the start menu button where the comp freezes irriverisbly and trying to access network connections also results into the same. If you dont touch those two, 2.5 minutes later the hard drive starts humming, the avast a starts spinning again and the last start-up programs load and appear next to the clock. The wireless icon also appears at this time.

I tries disabling, local area connection and 1394 but it didnt change much. If you have any help to offer i would really appreciate it since it may not sound like a big deal but its hella irritating to me. Thanx in advance

sidenote, is parallels better than bootcamp?

parallels is better if you just need to get on windows quick for something that doesn't need alot of ram or a good video card because parallels won't even recognize it. i deleted it and just went with bootcamp, haven't had a problem with bootcamp except for a few keys(volume/eject) not working.

*there's also something called vmware it does the same as parallels but i haven't tried it.

Try out Windows Home Server for free

http://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer

7eca96ef-32cc-44e7-8279-444904376871.gif

June 12, 2007

We have just reached a new milestone, Release Candidate 1!

Welcome to the Windows Home Server page on Microsoft Connect – Microsoft’s community destination for downloading beta products.

If you wish to participate in Windows Home Server evaluation program and/or to participate in the Code2Fame Challenge, you’ve come to the right place. Thank you for your interest in Windows Home Server.

Click here to sign up for the Windows Home Server RC

Windows Home Server Code2Fame Challenge

Killer Add-Ins = Fame and Fortune

Industry exposure and cold cash will be awarded to extraordinary coders that can create the best software and hardware add-ins for the soon-to-be-released Windows Home Server.

Challenge: Create cool software and/or hardware add-ins for Windows Home Server to simplify the digital lifestyles of families everywhere; or just to geek out. Over $50,000 in prizes!

To qualify, your add-in must use Windows Home Server RC 1, so register to receive it now! Other qualifications and information:

www.microsoft.com/windowshomeserver/challenge

Windows Home Server helps families with multiple PCs easily centralize, share and protect their digital pictures, music, documents and videos. As a development platform, Windows Home Server offers hardware and software developers tremendous opportunities to build innovative solutions.

Thanks,

Windows Home Server Team

today i get to build a computer for a home studio.

it's technically already built (by me), but i have to stick a hard drive in it,

put an OS on it, tweak the OS, install software, drop a soundcard in,

make sure every little thing is running smoothly, etc. etc. (hopefully not a third etc. i hate when it gets past two).

Is that like a recording studio casek?

Are they running Protools if so?

yeah, it's a recording studio type deal.

it's a toss-up on what is going to be used.

i know soundforge is going on there.

the situation is one older guy with an acoustic guitar.

nothing professional, just a hobbyist. just recording for himself.

pretty cool in my opinion.

what kind of card you using? internal or external?

an internal x-fi. i need to go purchase that a little later on.

like i said, it's not professional gear. just something he can record on

and sound good. no demos are going to be mailed out, he doesn't perform for anyone.

it's just a hobby.